37 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4679 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 25 of 37
08 August 2011 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Well, while being in Skopje, to be honest, only my couchsurfing hosts have particularly appreciated this fact. Locals didn't show their appreciation much.
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6199 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 37
08 August 2011 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
I don't remember even one time in Italy that someone asked me about learning Italian or offered any help (except for other students who knew I was there to study Italian). I guess Italian is too popular a language for anyone to be surprised that a foreigner speaks it.

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 27 of 37
22 September 2011 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Just to say, in regards to Russians being rude to non-native-Russian speakers, though this may be true in some
instances, I don't think the language issue accounts for the rudeness of the metro attendant mentioned on the
previous post.

In my experience, most Russian service personnel are rude regardless...whether they are speaking to Russians or
foreigners. It's actually rather amusing. I suppose I can't blame them. After all, the only difference between them
and people who work similar jobs in other countries is that the Russians make no attempt to hide their contempt for
their jobs (whereas here in America, say, employees need to slap a smile on their misgivings).
2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5284 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 28 of 37
23 September 2011 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Tecktight wrote:
Just to say, in regards to Russians being rude to non-native-Russian
speakers, though this may be true in some instances, I don't think the language issue
accounts for the rudeness of the metro attendant mentioned on the previous post.

In my experience, most Russian service personnel are rude regardless...whether they are
speaking to Russians or foreigners. It's actually rather amusing. I suppose I can't
blame them. After all, the only difference between them and people who work similar
jobs in other countries is that the Russians make no attempt to hide their contempt for
their jobs (whereas here in America, say, employees need to slap a smile on their
misgivings).

Yes, of course I do understand this. I think there's also a bit of a hangover from the
Soviet period, when it was rather wise to be suspicious and abrupt with strangers in
the public sphere.

I too have a few good stories of Russian service that was so appallingly bad there was
nothing to do but laugh, and I have to admit I like to tell them now and again to get a
cheap laugh, but of course reality is more complicated. I have received warm and
friendly service, and even straightforward, efficient, polite service, many times in
Russia, and plenty of poor service in other countries (even, believe it or not, in
Japan, although probably fewer times than I can count on the fingers of one hand over
15 years).

On the whole, though, I think you will be complimented far less often for your Russian
in Russia than for your Japanese in Japan.

xander.XVII
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4874 days ago

189 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 29 of 37
24 September 2011 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
newyorkeric wrote:
I don't remember even one time in Italy that someone asked me about
learning Italian or offered any help (except for other students who knew I was there to
study Italian). I guess Italian is too popular a language for anyone to be surprised that
a foreigner speaks it.

Italian isn't popular as studying language at all.
Instead, the reason of coldness might be the fact that in Italy there are many immigrants
who do not speak Italian or speak it very rudely so maybe people is just indifferent.
However it is likely that it will be issue of place where you live in.

Haukilahti
Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4784 days ago

94 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Polish

Message 30 of 37
24 September 2011 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
xander.XVII wrote:
Italian isn't popular as studying language at all.

It is, both abroad and in language schools in Italy.

But yes, foreigners in Italy usually speak (some) Italian, so you don't get the admiration you'd get in smaller countries.

xander.XVII
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4874 days ago

189 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 31 of 37
24 September 2011 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Haukilahti wrote:
xander.XVII wrote:
Italian isn't popular as studying language at
all.

It is, both abroad and in language schools in Italy.

But yes, foreigners in Italy usually speak (some) Italian, so you don't get the
admiration you'd get in smaller countries.

I never realized it was xD
Anyway, the fact is that unlike France where many immigrants already speak french ,
Italian is spoken just in Italy and in those countries(USA,Argentina,Brazil,Australia)
which have an Italian community since the beginning of XX century.
So immigrants often speak it rudely with a strong accent or with frequent dialect's
influence or with terms of their native language, so people don't react admired or
amazed with guys speaking Italian.

Tecktight
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

227 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbian
Studies: German, Russian, Estonian

Message 32 of 37
24 September 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
Tecktight wrote:
Just to say, in regards to Russians being rude to non-native-Russian
speakers, though this may be true in some instances, I don't think the language issue
accounts for the rudeness of the metro attendant mentioned on the previous post.

In my experience, most Russian service personnel are rude regardless...whether they are
speaking to Russians or foreigners. It's actually rather amusing. I suppose I can't
blame them. After all, the only difference between them and people who work similar
jobs in other countries is that the Russians make no attempt to hide their contempt for
their jobs (whereas here in America, say, employees need to slap a smile on their
misgivings).

Yes, of course I do understand this. I think there's also a bit of a hangover from the
Soviet period, when it was rather wise to be suspicious and abrupt with strangers in
the public sphere.

I too have a few good stories of Russian service that was so appallingly bad there was
nothing to do but laugh, and I have to admit I like to tell them now and again to get a
cheap laugh, but of course reality is more complicated. I have received warm and
friendly service, and even straightforward, efficient, polite service, many times in
Russia, and plenty of poor service in other countries (even, believe it or not, in
Japan, although probably fewer times than I can count on the fingers of one hand over
15 years).

On the whole, though, I think you will be complimented far less often for your Russian
in Russia than for your Japanese in Japan.

As a whole, yes, you're quite right. Once one learns to take poor service with, as you said, a laugh, the whole
thing just becomes another one of those situations to box away to memory. :)

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version