Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 81 of 116
23 April 2013 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
Seit Effi Briest habe ich noch einige Bücher für die Schule gelesen: Das Urteil und Die Verwandlung von Franz Kafka (beide sind Novellen) und Jugend ohne Gott von Ödön von Horvath. Die Verwandlung fand ich sehr gut! Die Handlung ist etwas seltsam, aber trotzdem bemerkenswert und interessant (ich fand es auch teilweise humoristisch, aber manche würden das vielleicht anders sehen:P). Es handelt von einem jungen Mann, der plötzlich in einen Käfer verwandelt wird. Zuerst glaubt er, dass es nur einen Traum sei, aber als sowohl sein Chef als auch seine Familie vor im Angst haben, versteht er, dass er wirklich verwandelt worden ist.
Ich war ein bisschen erstaunt darüber, wie einfach das Buch zu lesen war. Ich dachte, es wäre schwieriger zu lesen, weil ich gehört habe, dass Bücher von Kafka schwierig zu lesen sind, aber vielleicht meint man nur, dass der Inhalt und die Botschaft schwierig zu verstehen sind.

Jugend ohne Gott fand ich auch sehr gut und ganz einfach zu lesen. Bücher, die neu sind (mindestens aus dem 20. Jahrhundert), sind jetzt für mich nicht schwierig zu verstehen. Dieses Buch hat eine sehr spannende Handlung, und noch dazu mit einer guten Botschaft. Ich kann es sehr empfehlen!

Ich glaube, das ist genug für diesen Beitrag. Ich habe mehr Nachrichten, und die werde ich auch bald mitteilen, aber jetzt muss ich schlafen! Gute Nacht! Ich werde versuchen, öfter hier zu schreiben und im Forum aktiver zu sein!

Du hast recht. Kafka gilt deshalb als schwierig, weil die Aussage seiner Bücher schwer zu interpretieren ist. Die Sprache ist dagegen relativ einfach. Wenn du etwas sprachlich Anspruchvolleres suchst, wäre Thomas Mann vielleicht eine gute Herausforderung für dich?

Edited by Josquin on 23 April 2013 at 7:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5156 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 82 of 116
23 April 2013 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for the corrections Josquin! "Mehr aktiv" is a common mistake for Swedish
speakers, especially with longer words, where we have to use the helping word "mer" to
form comparative. I need to watch out for that! ;)

Wir werden tatsächlich Der Tod in Venedig von Thomas Mann nächster Semester lesen! Ich
habe gehört, dass seine Sprache schwer, aber auch sehr schön, ist, so vielleicht wäre das
eine gute Herausforderung! Wahrscheinlich ist es auch einfacher als Die Leiden des jungen
Werthers von Goethe. :)

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4427 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 83 of 116
23 April 2013 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your exam results. Your study program sounds fantastic and challenging. Ich bin total neidisch auf dich :)

Don't worry if you aren't on here that much, the important thing is that you are working on your languages. This forum is great, but it's almost too good, in that you can spend a lot of time here and not study.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5156 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 84 of 116
24 April 2013 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Thanks BAnna! Yeah, it's amazing! There's a lot of work to it, but it really pays off!
There's no way I would have been able to learn this much on my own in less than a year!
And the teachers are great, many of them are native Germans or Austrians.

You're right about the forum. Sometimes I feel guilty when I've been here too much
instead of studying. But I have different periods. Sometimes I love being in here,
sometimes I need a break and do something else instead. Now I'm starting to get in a
forum-period again
:)

Edited by WingSuet on 30 April 2013 at 11:34am

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5156 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 85 of 116
30 April 2013 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Weekly update, week 17
Study time German: 10,07 h
            Cantonese: 1,43 h

German
Homework this week included one translation exercise, one grammar exercise and one
paper with questions about phonetics, but since those were in Swedish, I don't count
them to my study time. The translation exercise consisted of two texts, one in German
to be translated into Swedish and one in Swedish to be translated into German. We have
this exercise every week and then we go through our results in class. It's harder than
I thought to translate into my mother language, but the German texts are often
complicated and it's easy to get stuck in the German thinking, especially since the
languages are so similar. The grammar exercise was just a lot of sentences to be
translated that consisted a grammar element we've been going through, such as the
conjunctive mode or passive structures.

We also wrote an essay of 350 words where we were to discuss a problem in one of the
books we've read. I chose Effi Briest and the issue of unfaithfulness and marriage. Our
essays will be corrected by German students who are studying to be teachers, so it's a
good exercise for them too, and it's also interesting to see what they have to say
about our essays. This week we were going to focus on writing so that it's not only
correct German, but sounds German as well. That means among other things not always
starting with the subject, like we do a lot in Swedish, but for example with an
abverbial instead.

Cantonese
I've just been trying to catch up with all the cards piling up in Mnemosyne but it took
almost one and a half our during the week. I noticed that I have exactly 2500 cards in
that pile, so about 1250 words and expressions! Later, when classes are over, I'll try
and pick up my Cantonese studies again. I had to put them on hold to focus on my German
studies.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4427 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 86 of 116
14 May 2013 at 1:44am | IP Logged 
It was interesting reading your post about translation. I think it goes in and out of fashion. Tranlsation used to be king, but then language teachers abandoned it. Now I think it is coming back. Luca uses it quite extensively, for example. And my German teacher (through the Goethe Institute) has us do translation fairly regularly. Why are you not counting it towards your study time? Because it is in Swedish? Hmm, I see that, but I also see that you could count it because you have to connect the Swedish part of your brain with the German part (and of course the Cantonese part) so the thinking becomes automatic. Maybe. I'm not a brain researcher, so these are just random thoughts...It is interesting how you have to train yourself to adopt the structures of the non-native language. One of my earlier teachers was convinced writing was the key to developing a high level of another language because it forces you to rewire your brain in a way that speaking or listening does not. Of course I am lazy, so I didn't necessarily listen to him. A lot of the polyglots here (like Iversen) do say they like to physically write things down to learn them.

I enjoy reading your updates. Keep up the good work!

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5156 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 87 of 116
11 June 2013 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
It's definitely time for an update! My university course is over now and got good results
on all the tests so far. But since the corse ended I've been having trouble keeping on
track lately with my studying. I'm still doing flashcards nearly every day and I try to
learn some new words on Memrise every day too, but I'm not doing much more. I don't feel
like reading in German anymore, maybe because I don't have any good books left or because
I have several books in my native language that I'm really looking forward to reading. Besides reading I'm not sure what I should do to keep learning German. I tried doing some
old grammar exercises from last semester, but I think they were too easy, because I got
bored quickly. I'm considering writing exercises, maybe some kind of challenge, as I
really liked the many writing exercises we had at University. Does anyone have any tip
for what to do to make studying more fun again?

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4427 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 

Message 88 of 116
14 June 2013 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Hmmm, maybe it's not actually •studying•, but fun things like watching movies or listening to podcasts or even songs might be a nice way to take a break yet still keep learning. Some new vocabulary words or idiomatic expressions are sure to pop up or maybe some odd grammatical structure will suddenly make sense, and your listening comprehension will surely improve. Of course, you are at a very high level so maybe there's not as much benefit?

Do you have any conversation groups (like Meetups) in your area that you could participate in? Participating in a conversation among a group of people is supposed to be one of the most challenging tasks for a learner of another language, but it can also be lots of fun to meet new people while enjoying a coffee or some wine.

I look forward to reading any ideas others may post here.

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version