WingSuet’s log (TAC 2015 - Team Rätsel)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
116 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 14 15 Next >>
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4059 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 97 of 116
03 September 2014 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
I've started reading through your log recently, always exciting to find someone else studying Cantonese here. I'm a huge fan of Cantonese movies, so I'll be curious to read about what you watch for the Super Challenge.
1 person has voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5156 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 98 of 116
24 September 2014 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
@YnEoS Yeah, it's always fun to find fellow Cantonese students! There aren't that many
here. I'll be mostly be rewatching my old Kung Fu movies, since those were the movies
that made me interested in the language to begin with. It would be fun to hear about your
taste of Cantonese movies. What do you usually watch? :)

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5156 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 99 of 116
24 September 2014 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
New update. I decided not to divide them into weeks, so that I don't have to wait for
the week to end before I can write some news. It's better to update while the progress
is still fresh.

German
So I've started on the Translation programme at University. These few weeks we've been
studying German language structure, which means a lot of meta language knowledge where
we study phrase structures, Verbvalenz, and divide sentences into its smaller pieces.
It's interesting, as I've already studied this before in my native language Swedish,
so a lot of it is similar but there are some differences as well.

Cantonese
Still doing Mnemosyne and Memrise. Now that I've started University again I don't have
as much time left for Cantonese, so I'm basically trying to maintain what I've already
learned before. Started watching some movies as well, to get some inspiration back.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4059 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 100 of 116
24 September 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
@YnEoS Yeah, it's always fun to find fellow Cantonese students! There aren't that many here. I'll be mostly be rewatching my old Kung Fu movies, since those were the movies
that made me interested in the language to begin with. It would be fun to hear about your taste of Cantonese movies. What do you usually watch? :)

Heh, pretty much almost everything at this point. My interest in Cantonese cinema started with lots of old Kung Fu films as I'm sure it does with a lot of people. Eventually after enough exposure to Cantonese humor I began expanding out to less action driven comedies and dramas as well. I'm particularly fond of Hui Brothers comedies like The Private Eyes and some of Tsui Hark's non-action films like All the Wrong Clues and Shanghai Blues.

I typically watch a lot more stuff from the 60s-80s than modern films, but I do enjoy more recent work from Stephen Chow, Johnny To, and Wong Kar-Wai as well.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5156 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 101 of 116
30 October 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Why do I always do this!? I had almost caught up with my Cantonese deck, which had about
800 scheduled cards, of which I needed to relearn several hundred! I had only 60 cards
left to relearn and then I quit for weeks! Now I have 600 cards scheduled again! Oh well,
might as well start going through them again. At least the break wasn't as long this
time, so I shouldn't have forgotten as many words.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6387 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 102 of 116
30 October 2014 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Man, I feel you. In the beginning I actually deleted my Cantonese deck several times and
restarted. Nowadays it's got over 10,000 cards so now I'm super careful to keep up with
my reviews. :)

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5156 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 103 of 116
30 October 2014 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Man, I feel you. In the beginning I actually deleted my Cantonese deck
several times and
restarted. Nowadays it's got over 10,000 cards so now I'm super careful to keep up with
my reviews. :)

Wow, 10 000 cards! That's amazing! Good job! ;) But when you deleated your deck, didn't
you have to rewrite all the cards again? I have actually been tempted to do something
similar to my Chinese character deck, which I haven't touched for more than a year, but
I'm not sure if I want to put all the time into rewriting them again.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6387 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 104 of 116
31 October 2014 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
Wow, 10 000 cards! That's amazing! Good job! ;)

Well, it's mostly a deck of 5,000+ characters in both directions. I haven't added that many of these cards myself (maybe 500 or so).

Quote:
But when you deleated your deck, didn't you have to rewrite all the cards again?

Yes. But some of the words I'd already learned well enough that I didn't really need to SRS them again. I'd just restart and then add words I didn't know that well. Some were duplicates of words I'd added previously, some weren't. And the act of adding a card actually helps to reinforce it in your memory, though I agree it can be tedious.

EDIT: I'm sure there must be a way to reset all cards as new in Anki, right?

Edited by Ari on 31 October 2014 at 8:59am

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version