Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5238 days ago

51 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 27
14 June 2011 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
I am just starting out today with Assimil Japanese With Ease on my quest to learn this
language. At this point I have learnt a lot of the Kana. I plan on learning the Kanji
after or during the active phase of the Assimil course using writing Japanese with ease.

I will aim to do one Assimil lesson per day and will try to post here every seventh
lesson. This could be effected by how hard I find Assimil Chinese (currently on lesson
44).

Ben
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 27
14 June 2011 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
Wow. I've been really looking forward to seing a log like this. I am REALLY curious to see how people get on with Assimils more exotic courses.

I am currently well into Spanish with ease (passive 91). It is a fantastice course, but I think if I didnt already know some Spanish, I may have been quite lost. In fact, I still do get a bit lost at times.

How have you been finding Assmil Chinese?

benbassist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5238 days ago

51 posts - 52 votes 

Message 3 of 27
14 June 2011 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
I am finding the Assimil Chinese to be really good (I hope the Japanese one is as good).

I took a Chinese Beginners course at university as well and I am awaiting my results. I
am hoping to do the same with my Japanese and take the next level course for Chinese.

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6190 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 27
15 June 2011 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
I just finished Chinese With Ease. It got a lot harder for me in the second volume.

I have Japanese With Ease sitting on my shelf. I'll be following your log to see if I should dust it off at some point!

benbassist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5238 days ago

51 posts - 52 votes 

Message 5 of 27
20 June 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
I have done the first seven lessons and feel like I am making good progress and starting
to get to gripes with the grammatical particles. Today I am listening to all the lessons
so far and going through lesson 7's revision and note's.

I like how Japanese With Ease has a contents with all the lessons names.

I would have liked the CD to have the fill in the blanks parts of the lesson. The CD also
does not have audio for the revision lesson's. Chinese With Ease does have these.

Edited by benbassist on 20 June 2011 at 7:08pm

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4995 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 6 of 27
22 June 2011 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
Sweet another person learning Japanese. I have the assimil course too but Ive gotten distracted. I'm
currently memorizing flash cards and doing a little Rosetta stone on the side. The assimil seemed rather
hard for me since it didn't really explain the vocabulary for each lesson as you go although there's a line by
line English translation I don't know how literal it is. Anyway I'll be following your log - good luck.

If you studied the Japanese pictograms already I think that is going to be a huge help for you. Personally I
find kanji to be simply too discouraging and painful. I am looking for a good converter to just convert entire
ebooks into kana with spaces.

benbassist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5238 days ago

51 posts - 52 votes 

Message 7 of 27
27 June 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Ok I have missed a couple of days so I am on lesson 12 today. I will post again when I reach Lesson 14.

I have started Remember the Kanji Volume 1 and plan on doing one lesson or 15 kanji per day.

benbassist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5238 days ago

51 posts - 52 votes 

Message 8 of 27
29 June 2011 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Still working through Assimil I have now reached lesson 14. I feel like I am learning lots of vocabulary. I
have also learnt 90 kanji with Remember the Kanji.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version