Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 17 of 63
22 June 2011 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
translator2 wrote:
Good freelance translators in the U.S. make between 80,000 and
100,000 a year.

Good freelance translators in Japan can make double that, and more. I don't know where this myth of the poverty-
stricken translator, scrabbling to make a living, came from.

I'd be happy to be wrong about my earlier comment about translators not getting paid what they are worth.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 63
22 June 2011 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
I do think that translators (and later maybe also interpreters) have reason to be worried. There will still be a need for high standard translating, but when the alternative is a free machine translation what will then happen? I'm fairly sure that standards demanded of translations will be lowered, and often the job will be left to the customer who of course won't pay for a human translator.
2 persons have voted this message useful

crystal.yang
United Kingdom
Joined 4699 days ago

25 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Mandarin

Message 19 of 63
22 June 2011 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
I don't think you should be worried now. The google translator can not translate accurate. When it translates a pieces of article, many mistakes will be found in the result .

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5606 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 20 of 63
22 June 2011 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
I asked this exact same question the other day
here

I do think European languages-English pairings could be in trouble. Something like
Japanese/Korean/Arabic/Chinese should be safe for longer but the advances of technology
translation should not be scoffed at. I've used a few completely free translators (on
Google Chrome) and they've been disturbingly accurate. Idioms, expressions everything.
They were better than me and any dictionaries I looked through which is unnerving.

For your problem specifically, I'd say focus on Interpreting rather than Translating.
That will take far longer to replace/replicate with sufficient technical ability.

Edited by crafedog on 22 June 2011 at 8:22am

christian
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

111 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, German

Message 21 of 63
22 June 2011 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
I don't really know much about the profession of translating, but I do know that a lot of manuals, labels, signs, etc
use those online translators. I can easily spot it when looking at an instruction booklet, recipe, or even a store sign.
So maybe the commercial sector is a no-go for translators?

Wompi
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4744 days ago

56 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: German*, Spanish, English
Studies: Czech

Message 22 of 63
22 June 2011 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
Perhaps with English you can get some good results but the level of translation I think is still to low to worry.

For other european languages there is still a long way to go for e.g. gTranlslate. I used it for a short time, translating a book from czech to German and from what I can say it is in 60%-70% just wrong. There are many mistaken words and the grammar is horrible. Though it is good for getting a grasp on what the sentence may mean :)

jean-luc
France
Joined 4748 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 23 of 63
22 June 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
For the moment you're reasonably safe, peoples who can afford a translator, cannot afford a (too) bad translation. But it's true that automatic translator are becoming better and better, but by the time they become a threat for you they'll become a threat for a lot more people than translator.

kenshin
Triglot
Taiwan
Joined 4818 days ago

17 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Taiwanese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Japanese, German, French

Message 24 of 63
22 June 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
Sorry if this is not directly related to the topic, I am curious about whether the
quality of translation by software would vary from language families.

For example, would you get a better translation result from "English <->
Dutch/German/Swedish" than "English <-> Arabic/Japanese/Turkish" ? Or you would get a
better result of English translation (in contrary to languages less studied) no matter
what the languages you translate from?

Also, I agree that free translation softwares are not aimed at replacing professional
human translation services. Many of my friends use Google translator when they encounter
any website without Chinese version, and the translation is not pleasant to read,
actually.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version