Triglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 113 of 131
05 February 2012 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
Strange, I love Korean exactly for the reasons you guys find it frustrating. But I also enjoyed a course on English phonetics that no one else liked, so I'm weird anyway...

One thing I totally agree on, though. It's a nightmare to try to look up a word with one of those ㅔ/ㅐ/ㅖ/ㅒ/ㅚ/ㅞ/ㅙ vowels, often impossible to tell apart.

By the way, is there some kind of Korean renaissance going on in this forum? That's pretty cool!

Edited by druckfehler on 05 February 2012 at 6:34am

2 persons have voted this message useful

이희선
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4757 days ago

56 posts - 97 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 114 of 131
06 February 2012 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:

By the way, is there some kind of Korean renaissance going on in this forum? That's pretty cool!

Maybe. Why not? :)
1 person has voted this message useful

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4966 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 115 of 131
06 February 2012 at 12:54pm | IP Logged 
Talking about 'b' vs 'm' :
They have mentioned the problem on a podcast I am listening to these days, they say something about m
with air released through nose, or somthing like this.
I have actually the same problem, but I though it's only the case with the word for 'yes'.

IronFist
United States
Joined 6225 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 116 of 131
06 February 2012 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:
They have mentioned the problem on a podcast I am listening to these days, they say something about m
I have actually the same problem, but I though it's only the case with the word for 'yes'.

Which podcast?

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5554 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 117 of 131
07 February 2012 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
clumsy wrote:

You automatically release the air through the nose when uttering 'm' because your mouth is closed (lips are shut) and when saying 'n' because your tongue blocks off the air stream.

The reason why those sounds often sound like b/d to our ears are because they are very short when pronounced correctly, but the actual movement of the mouth is more comparable to German or English m/n sounds.
I also think the following vowel gets a more nasal quality in Korean because you pronounce it using the air you've already released through your nose?

Edited by Bao on 07 February 2012 at 4:34am

2 persons have voted this message useful

howtwosavealif3
United States
Joined 4274 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes

Message 118 of 131
14 August 2012 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
I'm also a korean learning korean because I forgot lots since moving to the USA. But anyways I decided to learn Japanese first BECAUSE I want to learn Japanese as well and I think order of Japanse then Korean makes sense (but if you're fluent and literate in chinese then I guess the order doesn't matter). Also, I wanted to learn something new than fix something broken. One is korean is only written in hanguel now-a-days so even if you study hanja you'll never come across it so it's never reinforced unless I decide to read newspapers from however many years ago (but I don't care about news in general regardless of language) and I wanted to remember words with hanja because I know it's such a pain in a butt trying to remember/learn vocabulary (If I don't have this hanja clutch i'll give up for sure. I knew that for sure). So I knew that the fastest way to learn hanja is Japanese since they actually use it. It's not hanja exactly but I know 75% of the sino-words in Japanese and korean crosses. Also Japanese just seems to have more resources like rikai-sama (there is something similar for korean with chrome but it's just not as awesome as rikai-chan/rikai-sama) and just having kanji helps me figure out what the hell is going on better than just hanguel. ALSO, Japanese is grammatically simpler and that was another reason why I decided to learn Japanese first (I could already tell how much frustration I'll feel added onto the fact that I didn't know hanja at the time + everything is written hanguel which doesn't help the dissection. I found out about anki and RTK shortly after and I was like oh I'm glad I chose Japanese first 100%)

So anyways I've succeeded with Japanese quite well due to my discovered love of Japanese talk/variety shows and their usage of text on the screen. I've found this site that tells you how the sounds in kanji in Japanese convert to korean. It's a life-saver and yes the rules are not 100% but high probability is good enough.
http://korean.nomaki.jp/site_j/kanji.html

and if i learned korean first I would've never found this site and i wouldn't even be that good with hanja with anyway because they don't use it so how would i ever get good at it. Anyways I just find it really helpful and advantageous learning korean with the knowledge of Japanese. Because I've learned Japanese I've grown to understand the concept of "fluency" more and what learning a language is for me and so I don't think I'll aim for fluency in korean or fluent speaking in korean just because I know I don't have that much interest or time to dedicate to korean. I'm just focusing on increasing my understanding of korean used in korean talk/variety shows I enjoy and I do hate a LOT OF them (one day 2 nights, we got married = zzzzz) so I'm very happy to find the ones that I do like.

Edited by howtwosavealif3 on 14 August 2012 at 8:17pm

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5620 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 119 of 131
01 November 2012 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
Well it can't be that difficult if an elephant can learn to speak it!

Elephant 'speaks Korean'

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 5986 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 120 of 131
02 November 2012 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
But he only knows banmal.

This discussion contains 131 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version