Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 52
31 July 2011 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
New language, new log.

Previous logs:
  1. 6 months :: Italian from zero to intermediate
  2. 18 months :: more Italian & starting Dutch
I traditionally do my big updates on August/February 18, because that's the anniversary of when I started this whole adventure. But the time seems ripe to jump ahead and do one now.

STATS

If languages are like a shower then I've managed to soak under it for a relatively substantial 2200 hours over 2 years.

Italian: 1715h
Dutch: 455h
French: 44h

Yes yes, French is not supposed to be on that list, that's why this log is starting a little too late even though it's ahead of time.

SELF ASSESSMENT

Italian
Fluent modulo speech where I still lack confidence and practice. I find myself now on the long road from fluency to nativity, although very far from the destination. I've passed some notable tests on the way, starting with Umberto Eco to "I promessi sposi" to Machiavelli, all of whom pose few problems at this point. The only test I haven't yet passed is Dante and I plan to tackle him before the year is out.

Since Italian is and probably always will be a passive language for me, I am needless to say thrilled beyond my wildest dreams to be where I am now. I can't believe it's all happened in just 2 years and I can't even quite believe that that's possible.

I think I am approaching the point where I've gotten as much out of Italian as I want to. Probably within a year I won't consider it a language of study anymore, merely a language I have at my disposal. And if I ever were to move to Italy or have to start using the language actively I'm quite sure I would adapt quickly.

Dutch
Passive skills approaching fluency and listening has improved dramatically over the last 6 months. I'm now reading philosophy, so I've reached the level of difficulty at which I need to be passively and I just have to keep working at this level for a while.

On the other hand, my active skills are weak and I especially lack conversational language. I will be trying to cure this by focusing on uitzendinggemist for the rest of the year.

Dutch remains a difficult language of study, because I've never been particularly excited about it and I struggle with motivation periodically. It has received a boost recently as I've improved my reading materials and hopefully I can get more active use happening in the near future.

Overall, progress in Dutch has been "slow but demonstrable".

THE ROAD AHEAD

Italian
Complete my 20th century literature project (about 10 books left). That should take until 2012, or a year at most. Thereupon I want to do some more reading from earlier periods, but not on as large a scale.

At this time next year I will probably be winding down my Italian activity.

Dutch
My ideas are not that clear. More of the same I guess, for now. If I can maintain the current pace I should get enough reading done by the end of the year that I'll have passive fluency. I think I want to stay within philosophy for now because that's both challenging and stimulating. I made a mistake in my early Dutch reading because I wasn't picky enough and my motivation suffered.

French
The long awaited! It started very spontaneously. I was in Paris, I chanced upon a big bookstore and bought a book. I thought I could read it. So the challenge is now to see how far I can get just by working passively. Later on I will probably cover Assimil and other study materials anyway, but I want to get an idea of how much instruction I'll really be needing.

Just picking up the first book and starting to read is obviously tough, but it's a lot easier than my first reading in Italian and Dutch was. It turns out that all the time I spent studying Italian I was actually studying French and Spanish too!

French syntax is incredibly similar and most of the verb tenses are discoverable with few dictionary lookups. Needless to say, having some solid clues is very far from knowing the subject matter, but the discovery process is great fun.

I don't really have any goals in French yet, it's enough for now that I enjoy it and that I'm learning a lot.

So that was that, apparently we're up to three languages now, in parallel. When people say that kinda stuff you think it's science fiction and then you end up doing it yourself. I can't believe that 2 years ago I had no idea how to do any of this, this forum can really change your life!

So what's next on the horizon? Strangely enough, all the languages that I wanted to learn I'm already studying. So there's actually nothing more on the todo list.

Next year I will probably want to do a 6 week challenge or something like that in Spanish. Maybe just get the Assimil and go through it. But I don't think it's gonna be a big language for me. Other than that I really don't know, something else might come up. I've thought about Mandarin in the past, but it's more of a curiosity than a real desire for me.

Edited by numerodix on 31 July 2011 at 2:49pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Oasis88
Australia
Joined 5501 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Italian

Message 2 of 52
02 August 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm excited to see another one of your logs!

All the best for your French studies. I have to admit that it has been on my hit
list for the last 8 months or so. As usual I'll let you tread the path of French learning
and follow soon after.

Any plans on completing an accredited Italian diploma like the CELI? I imagine C1 or C2
shouldn't be too difficult with over 1500 hours under your belt. I was thinking about
looking into this after completing my 1000 hours.

Edited by Oasis88 on 02 August 2011 at 1:45pm

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 3 of 52
02 August 2011 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
Oasis88 wrote:

All the best for your French studies. I have to admit that it has been on my hit
list for the last 8 months or so. As usual I'll let you tread the path of French learning
and follow soon after.

Sweet, I'll hold the door open for you.

Oasis88 wrote:
Any plans on completing an accredited Italian diploma like the CELI? I imagine
C1 or C2
shouldn't be too difficult with over 1500 hours under your belt. I was thinking about

You know I've thought about this earlier. As a kind of reward even. But I'm not a big fan of
formal language teaching, I don't particularly like the experience of language classes and I
also don't really like the way language testing is done. I think it's quite artificial and
flawed, even though I can't claim that I know how to improve it. If anything, I think those
language tests make you obsess needlessly and doubt your skills because you can't score 100%
on their tests, meanwhile confidence is one of the most important things in language ability.
So it undermines your ability to use the language as well as you can.

Of course those are my experience with language testing in English, but I'm pretty sure it's
much the same elsewhere in Europe.

Beyond that, I just don't need a certificate at this point to tell me that I know a bunch of
Italian, I don't need that external confirmation. So why spend 150 euro (or whatever) on it
frankly when I don't need the paper for anything?

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5362 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 4 of 52
03 August 2011 at 5:40am | IP Logged 
Looking forward to following this new log of yours also. Good luck with your French and Dutch and amazing work
with the Italian!

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 5 of 52
05 August 2011 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
As I now try to work out some of the grammar I keep having these moments of slight
anxiety. When I learn something about French which seems a little different from Italian
I keep trying to recall what the same thing is in Italian. Sometimes I can't remember and
that makes me nervous.

I really ought to stop doing this. This on-the-spot recall of another language is a
measure of how sharp the other language currently is, but it is no measure of fluency in
general. It's just that when I get into French I have to let go of Italian a bit and let
French occupy some of the privileged positions in my brain. The Italian is still there
but it's not so readily displayed in the shop window anymore, it's in the back now. Which
is perfectly fine.

Oasis88
Australia
Joined 5501 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 

Message 6 of 52
05 August 2011 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
Oasis88 wrote:

list for the last 8 months or so. As usual I'll let you tread the path of French
learning
and follow soon after.

Sweet, I'll hold the door open for you.

Oasis88 wrote:
Any plans on completing an accredited Italian diploma like the CELI? I
imagine
C1 or C2

You know I've thought about this earlier. As a kind of reward even. But I'm not a big
fan of
formal language teaching, I don't particularly like the experience of language classes
and I
also don't really like the way language testing is done. I think it's quite artificial
and
flawed, even though I can't claim that I know how to improve it. If anything, I think
those
language tests make you obsess needlessly and doubt your skills because you can't score
100%
on their tests, meanwhile confidence is one of the most important things in language
ability.
So it undermines your ability to use the language as well as you can.

Of course those are my experience with language testing in English, but I'm pretty sure
it's
much the same elsewhere in Europe.

Beyond that, I just don't need a certificate at this point to tell me that I know a
bunch of
Italian, I don't need that external confirmation. So why spend 150 euro (or whatever)
on it
frankly when I don't need the paper for anything?

I was thinking more of the examinations which give you a level. I.e. C1 or C2, etc.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6579 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 

Message 7 of 52
05 August 2011 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Same thing, no?

Oasis88
Australia
Joined 5501 days ago

160 posts - 187 votes 

Message 8 of 52
06 August 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Yes. You're right.I re-read your post and you did emphasise your thoughts about the
exams.

You mentioned classes at the beginning and I thought you had the wrong idea.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version