Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Assimil Translation Project - Legality ?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
37 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4658 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 37
30 September 2011 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
The only thing that would be unauthorized about producing an entire translation is if you gave it to someone else who didn't already own it or tried to sell it.

As I was saying, it would be completely legal if someone was to create a closed Wiki or page where people who actually OWN the content could help translate it back and forth. If it is used for intellectual purposes and credit is given then I fail to see the problem.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6918 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 10 of 37
01 October 2011 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
TMoneytron wrote:
As I was saying, it would be completely legal if someone was to create a closed Wiki or page where people who actually OWN the content could help translate it back and forth.

Can you back this up with any literature on the subject?

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6176 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 37
01 October 2011 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
Completely legal and what Assimil thinks are two different things. Meaning that if Assimil disagrees with you although you are actually right, it will be costly for you to prove it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4658 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 

Message 12 of 37
01 October 2011 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
That is true, newyorkeric.

I have no literature, but from what I experienced in college, most content sharing is okay if it is for academic purposes.

If you were smart about this Assimil could probably never find out, you could even make a closed Google document where people could work on it simultaneously. I honestly think it is silly that you have to jump through loops for something like this; information should be as widely available as possible (within copyright of course). This kind of project would benefit anyone who actually owned the content and learning in general.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5808 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 13 of 37
01 October 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
TMoneytron wrote:
I have no literature, but from what I experienced in college, most content sharing is okay if it is for academic purposes.    

Are you a college? Methinks not.
2 persons have voted this message useful

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4658 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 

Message 14 of 37
01 October 2011 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Well, no. I am not JSTOR or EBSCOHost. For which many colleges pay subscription costs. I did not mean simply giving the content to someone, but collaborating over something that everyone owns for academic purposes, and not for profit, should be legal. I don't see how anyone could argue against that.

Hell, the "in thing" now is creating Google Documents for study guides. This often involved ripping large amounts of texts from sources (with or without giving credit). Would someone sue for this? I don't think a publishing company would even bother because it wasn't published. It was just used to learn the class content better.

Edited by TMoneytron on 01 October 2011 at 9:16pm

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6918 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 15 of 37
02 October 2011 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
Like I said before, contact Assimil and find out.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5808 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 16 of 37
02 October 2011 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
TMoneytron wrote:
but collaborating over something that everyone owns for academic purposes, and not for profit, should be legal. I don't see how anyone could argue against that.

You can argue against it quite easily -- because it's illegal.

You are merely twisting the meaning of "academic" to suit yourself. Studying a language at home is not an "academic" pursuit. People seem to assume that all learning is "fair use", but if that was the case, there'd be no commercial market for learning materials. (Which would be a bad thing, because then no-one would be writing them.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version