Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Assimil Translation Project - Legality ?

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
37 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 35  Next >>
HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4971 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 25 of 37
11 October 2011 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
Same in the US. The law protects against copying, it doesn't matter what you intend to
use it for unless of course the use falls under the fair use exception.
1 person has voted this message useful

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4658 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 26 of 37
12 October 2011 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
I am confused. Then how can you copy your music? What about ripping your own DVDs? I do both of those and I am quite sure it is legal.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5215 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 27 of 37
12 October 2011 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
TMoneytron wrote:
I am confused. Then how can you copy your music? What about ripping your own DVDs? I do both of those and I am quite sure it is legal.

Yes, copying your own music and DVDs for personal use if fine, it is when one distributes them that the problems start.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 12 October 2011 at 2:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5059 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 28 of 37
12 October 2011 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
It's analogous to the old saw about freedom- "your right to swing your fist ends when it hits my face". Your right to copy ends when you start sharing the copies. Assimil translation for your own use- fine. Assimil translation for sharing, you should consult a copyright attorney. It gets complicated.

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6918 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 29 of 37
12 October 2011 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
The global reach/access of the Internet has created a lot of grey areas in terms of copyright. For example, what do you do about works that are in the Public Domain in the US but are not so recognised in the UK? They can be legally distributed online in the US but not in the UK, but you can bet your bottom dollar someone will find a way around any restrictions. Look at BBC iplayer. If you try and watch it from a location other than the UK, the site picks up on it and blocks you, but a quick Google search reveals all sorts of easy ways around the block.

t123
Diglot
South Africa
https://github.com/t
Joined 5408 days ago

139 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans

Message 30 of 37
12 October 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
TMoneytron wrote:
I am confused. Then how can you copy your music? What about ripping your own DVDs? I do both of those and
I am quite sure it is legal.

Yes, copying your own music and DVDs for personal use if fine, it is when one distributes them that the problems start.

Actually in the UK it's illegal, see here for eg: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8531415.stm
or search on Google for: format shifting uk

There is a plan to legalise it though.

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5215 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 31 of 37
12 October 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
t123 wrote:
jazzboy.bebop wrote:
TMoneytron wrote:
I am confused. Then how can you copy your music? What about ripping your own DVDs? I do both of those and
I am quite sure it is legal.

Actually in the UK it's illegal, see here for eg: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8531415.stm
or search on Google for: format shifting uk

There is a plan to legalise it though.

Technically illegal yes, but it is not something the courts have ever pursued nor ever will. Even recording something from the TV is technically illegal. I think there are still a number of laws that one could technically be prosecuted under but should have been either repealed or amended but are just simply ignored. If I remember rightly, in Scotland the law forcing everyone to attend church on a Sunday was only repealed in the last quarter of the 20th century, despite it having been long since ignored.

Edited by jazzboy.bebop on 12 October 2011 at 6:04pm

TMoneytron
Groupie
United States
Joined 4658 days ago

70 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: German

Message 32 of 37
12 October 2011 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
I suppose the way around this would be a "dicussion group".

Someone could create a study guide to help English speakers. It seems outrageous to think that you couldn't do something like this. It happens in Universities everywhere.    

If someone wants we could set up a Google Docs for discussion and commentary on specific lessons. I want to do so with Perfectionnement Allemand.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version