Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
69 messages over 9 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 9

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 65 of 69
19 October 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged 
I found a test for French here, based on 43.000 words (no compounds). However it claims that I know 79% of those (34550) which is substantially more than my own surveys - so the results should probably be treated with a certain amount of caution. At least I didn't fall into its inbuilt traps (non-existing words). There are also versions for children, but they suffer from a grave conceptual error: I did the test for 5 years olds and (of course) knew all the words. It then told me that I know 5 % of their word base. Frankly they can only tell that I know at least 5 % of the words in their stockpile, and even then they should at least have had the decency of telling me how many percent of native French 5 year olds I could expect to beat in a wordgame, as one of the English tests does..   

Edited by Iversen on 19 October 2012 at 1:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 66 of 69
19 October 2012 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
I got to 30,500 which is probably quite accurate.

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4447 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 67 of 69
19 October 2012 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
The French test for adults is probably unsuitable for learners under at least B2/C1 level. All those words used internationally - science, law, internet are usually known, but there is not enough of the normal/everyday french vocabulary.

I got 21.869 words, 47% of all the words and looking back, the number could be higher in theory. I am nowhere near this number, and looking at "600 mots les plus courants de la langue française" I am still missing some of them in my vocabulary.

For learners, the test "entre 10 et 15 ans" is probably better - I am getting about 7000-8000 words, which is still probably too high for me even thinking about passive vocabulary only, but the words in the test are more current.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6493 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 69
21 October 2012 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
On the contrary - you should take the full test for adults (even if you are a child), otherwise you will be presented with fewer words and only credited with words within this smaller sample.

Edited by Iversen on 21 October 2012 at 1:29am

rolf
United Kingdom
improvingmydutch.blo
Joined 5797 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 69 of 69
26 October 2012 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
This is a flawed test, in my opinion.

There are a number of words that I have learned through context and know the meaning of
well but in a way that I cannot describe if asked.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version