Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Which languages studied beside the big 4?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
49 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>
Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5134 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 49
11 November 2011 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
What are the big 4, you may ask. Well for me that is English, French, Spanish and German. I am aware of the fact that these may not be the big four in other parts of the world, but getting answers from other countries is part of the charm of this forum.

These 4 languages are routinely offered at our schools, and I suspect also in most schools in Europe and the Americas, and possibly also other countries. But my interest is what is studied apart from those 4.

Here we are down to 1 percent - or less, if we exclude those 4 languages. I know of one school which offers Mandarin, one which offers Russian, and I have read of a couple of schools which offer Japanese. And when I say schools I mean up until high school. Obviously if we include University/College we would get very different answers.
2 persons have voted this message useful

fiziwig
United States
Joined 4665 days ago

297 posts - 618 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 49
12 November 2011 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
In my high school, in 1960 in Los Angeles, CA we also had the choice of Latin which I took for two semesters. They didn't offer Sanskrit, though, which I always thought was a shame. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6709 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 49
12 November 2011 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
One of the schools here (Visby>Gotland->Sweden) offers Mandarin and Italian (plus Latin and Ancient Greek) besides the big four.

mick33
United States
Joined 5724 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 4 of 49
12 November 2011 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
My parents know a man who teaches Japanese at a local high school, and there are rumors of school districts teaching Korean and Mandarin Chinese at the high school and junior high school levels.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5925 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 5 of 49
12 November 2011 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
When I was in the Jr. College Japanese class, the room was filled, about 50% with high school kids who were taking the class.   I assume this is pretty common (in the USA) that you can take Jr. College classes if the language isn't offered at the high school.   The Jr. College offers quite a few languages, including Cantonese and Vietnamese, but only at beginner level. That have intermediate level classes only for Spanish.

July
Diglot
Spain
Joined 5073 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishB2
Studies: French

Message 6 of 49
12 November 2011 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
My state secondary school in England had optional lessons in Latin (they were part of
some kind of revival movement - I loved it!) and there was one teacher who taught Russian
lessons as an extra subject, but she left before I could take that class.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4659 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 7 of 49
12 November 2011 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
There are some high schools in Poland offering Swedish.
Unfortunately in my in theory on of the best high schools in voivodeship they have offered only English, German and Latin. And even some other schools in my town have been teaching French!
It's nothing weird that with such approach people from my school were startled how anyone would like to learn languages like Slovene.

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 8 of 49
12 November 2011 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
My Jesuit high school in New York offered the following languages (in order of their popularity a couple of years ago): Spanish, Italian, Latin/French.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version