Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Which languages studied beside the big 4?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
49 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>
tanya b
United States
Joined 4714 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 41 of 49
24 November 2011 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
I'm a native English speaker who has become fully trilingual in Armenian and Russian, studying entirely here in the US. Prior to that there were two disastrous attempts to learn Welsh, both of which failed within a couple of weeks, but I hope to resume the study of Welsh in the future. I found Welsh pronounciation to actually painful partly because i was speaking too forcefully--however my accent was native like, according to Welsh people.   Armenian and Russian pronounciation is actually easier than Welsh. I studied French in the 4th grade and Spanish in the 10th but was oblivious to most of it.Everything else has been self study, including the Russian and Armenian alphabets.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5270 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 42 of 49
24 November 2011 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
tanya b wrote:
I'm a native English speaker who has become fully trilingual in Armenian and Russian, studying entirely here in the US.

Wow. Fully trilingual. That is really impressive. Please give us more details, how long did you study, which methods did you use, which shools did you attend, which certificates did you obtain? Tell us more!

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4845 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 43 of 49
26 November 2011 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
The school where I teach, in a rough part of Leicester, England, offers afternoon classes in French and Polish to students who want to take GCSE exams in those languages. Students can only study Spanish during the regular lesson times. The reason they offer Polish is because we have a few Polish students, and they are the only ones taking the class, so it's not because of academic interest as such.

tanya b
United States
Joined 4714 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 44 of 49
28 November 2011 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Privet! Solfrid Cristin, thank you for the question. Truth be told, I am entirely self taught. I am a trilingual stay at home mom, and my husband, the monolingual, is the one who gets to do all the travelling--he has even been to Greenland! However, foreign languages is one of my hobbies. I live in a small town in Southern Nevada, so it is unrealistic to study in a university.   My goal has always been to understand TV programs, that is, without subtitles. I was able to understand Armenian satellite TV after 2 years of study, and Russian satellite TV after 3 years.I used abook called Spoken East Armenian, which has 400 pages and 6 cassettes ad as far as I know the only comprehensive Armenian textbook out there.   For Russian I used Living L Living Language Russian Grammar, and Barrons Ultimate Russian, totaling about 600 pages, along with several CDs. My method--95% review, 5% new--every day for up to an hour.   First, the alphabet.   Second, pronounciation. Third, grammar. Fourth, vocabulary. Fifth, understanding TV. I had an Armenian teacher who was also fluent in Russian, who helped me at the beginning.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5791 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 45 of 49
28 November 2011 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Here is the languages you can study in school if you are in Singapore:

For all school years:
English: compulsory for all
Chinese(Mandarin), Malay, Tamil: The "mother tongue" language you are going to study
depends on your race. For example, if you are a Chinese, you must learn
Chinese(Mandarin), even you do not speak it at home.

From secondary school onwards:
French, German, Japanese, Malay(3rd language): You can choose to learn a third language
from these choices, if you have done well in the first 2 languages (English and Mother
Tongue)

For all other languages, you will have to wait until you are enrolled into university
before you can choose languages as elective. Even at university, these big languages
are not offered and must be self studied or learn elsewhere: Russian, Spanish, Italian
and Portuguese. In their place are these Asian languages: Korean, Thai, Hindi,
Vietnamese, Indonesian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Carlucio
Triglot
Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4794 days ago

70 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC1, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 46 of 49
29 November 2011 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
Living in a small country looks a good deal for a languages addicted, in Brazil only enthusiasts learn more than English and Spanish, most of the population speak only portuguese.

At the time of the WWII the teaching of foreign languages was forbidden, languages like German,polish,japanese and Italian were largely spoken by immigrants in some areas around the country, but today only the oldests have those languages as native.

squonk
Groupie
United States
Joined 4682 days ago

44 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Irish

Message 47 of 49
29 November 2011 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Two charter schools* in my town -- one a middle school and the other a high school --
offer Spanish and Turkish, of all things. The founder is a Turk, as one would
suspect.

*Stolen from Wikipedia: Charter schools are primary or secondary schools that receive
public money...but are not subject to some of the rules...that apply to other public
schools in exchange for some type of accountability for producing certain
results...Charter schools are opened and attended by choice. Some charter schools are
founded by teachers, parents, or activists who feel restricted by traditional public
schools.

gerry
Triglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Latin, German

Message 48 of 49
02 December 2011 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
The high school I graduated from only offered Spanish and French (I took French) but now
they cut French and only Spanish remains. I know of high schools in the district that
offer German, Japanese, Chinese, Latin, and Russian.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version