Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Which languages studied beside the big 4?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
49 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>
PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5173 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 25 of 49
14 November 2011 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
gales87 wrote:
PaulLambeth wrote:
There's just no encouragement to learn a second language. It's introduced at about age 12 and you can drop it by 16 with just a C-grade pass if you want.

Just a small correction: you start to learn a foreign language at age 11 and can drop it at 14 in British state schools. It hasn´t been obligatory at GCSE level for a few years now.

Seriously? Damn, I'm only just out of school ... since a few years ago. That's shocking. And yes, I forgot - first year of secondary school is age 11-12, that was a slipup.

Cainntear, I agree about the inertia comment. I suppose a change should happen school-by-school, like the gradual loss of grammar schools and the like, so perhaps HTLAL posters should team up and create a petition to teach Russian (or maybe even one of the expat community languages? Urdu? Panjabi? Arabic?) in "x" school in the UK. What say we?

Edited by PaulLambeth on 14 November 2011 at 2:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4809 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 26 of 49
14 November 2011 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
One person from Czech Republic already posted about Russian being taught apart from the big 4 (but at fewer schools)but I have as well heard of a school offering Italian as an option as well. And I believe a few schools in the north teach Polish, as it is close. And some give the same space to Latin (not only but mostly catholic schools from what I heard).

Other than that, some schools offer voluntary classes (at my school there were only such choices as Latin and Ancient Greek) or partially payed courses for whatever (from big languages not included in formal curriculum to less common and asian ones). But this varies a lot, many schools don't give such opportunitites at all.

The sad thing is that some politicians want to remove obligatory second foreign language from schools (leave it as an option and not too supported one probably), leave only English and the free hours put in more economy classes. Stupid fools.

aanhetleren
Australia
Joined 4825 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Studies: Dutch, Swedish

Message 27 of 49
14 November 2011 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
The most common in Australia are (kind of in order) French, Japanese, Mandarin, Italian, Indonesian and German. Also know of some schools teaching Modern Greek and Latin. Spanish is pretty rarely taught. Most high schools seem to teach one European language and one Asian and kids decide when they start at the school which one they'll take.

FireViN
Diglot
Brazil
missaoitaliano.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

196 posts - 292 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 28 of 49
14 November 2011 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
MarcusOdim wrote:

My grandpa took French, German, Italian and Latin at a catholic school when he was a teen. My cousins take Spanish

I had to study some English and Spanish at school a few years ago

Some private schools kinda offer both French and German too. Some cities in Brazil have a co-official language, German, Ukrainian, Guarani and Talian so they are possibly taught at school too

I've heard that in the state of Espírito Santo a few teens study Pomeranian (can't confirm though) but there is for sure a huge community and they still speak the language

Let's take the position of a average brazilian, a person that can't afford an expensive private school. If I said everyone had multiple choices like your grandpa, I'd be telling a major lie.

Oh well, I've always studied at public schools, never had Spanish or any other option, my friends neither. I realize older people had French and sometimes Latin. My grandma had french when she was young, but assuming the general situation of education in Brazil, having Spanish AND English is probably luck. Private schools that offer anything other than Spanish are quite rare.

I wish I was born on these communities. Yeah, they probably offer a different language, but again, it's just too small compared to the rest of the country.

PaulLambeth
United Kingdom
Joined 5173 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 29 of 49
14 November 2011 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
aanhetleren wrote:
The most common in Australia are (kind of in order) French, Japanese, Mandarin, Italian, Indonesian and German. Also know of some schools teaching Modern Greek and Latin. Spanish is pretty rarely taught. Most high schools seem to teach one European language and one Asian and kids decide when they start at the school which one they'll take.

Bahasa Indonesia? Japanese? Mandarin? Ah to be raised in an English-speaking country so far from the dreariness of Indo-European languages.

Kidding of course; all my languages are Indo-European or derived creoles. But that's fantastic. Which did you pick, by the way? I studied French and German, continuing with French because most of the people didn't like the German teacher. Now I much prefer German and did it for a year of university. I wonder if the tables would've turned if it had been the other way round - if I'd continued with German and dropped French.

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4781 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 30 of 49
14 November 2011 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Well, it goes without saying, but Welsh is taught across Wales =) Not quite the big four! I think we should have
more Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Hindi etc.

aanhetleren
Australia
Joined 4825 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Studies: Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 49
14 November 2011 at 11:16am | IP Logged 
PaulLambeth wrote:
aanhetleren wrote:

Bahasa Indonesia? Japanese? Mandarin? Ah to be raised in an English-speaking country so far from the dreariness of Indo-European languages.

Kidding of course; all my languages are Indo-European or derived creoles. But that's fantastic. Which did you pick, by the way? I studied French and German, continuing with French because most of the people didn't like the German teacher. Now I much prefer German and did it for a year of university. I wonder if the tables would've turned if it had been the other way round - if I'd continued with German and dropped French.

Lol. It's hardly a language learning utopia. My school offered French and Japanese. I chose French but had a really bad teacher so didn't continue after the compulsory 3 years, and I don't rembember anything. My brother did Japanese for ten years and can't remember anything. Languages aren't taken that seriously in schools here.

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6459 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 32 of 49
15 November 2011 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
Many Italian-Americans live in my part of the United States, and several high schools offer Italian. However, most of them don't offer Italian for a full four years.

Few schools offer German, and fewer schools offer Latin. Spanish is the dominant foreign language, and French is a rather distant second. One school in my area offers Mandarin Chinese.

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version