Groupie
United States
Joined 4714 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 12
20 November 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
We always hear about the similarities, potential for transfer or even supposed degrees of mutual intelligibility in sister languages; but what are the realities? at what degree does learning German to a proficient level allow for a far easier experience with Dutch?

what about Spanish (for fun let's even say Latin or Interlingua) to, let's say Portugese?

1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6393 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 2 of 12
20 November 2011 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
For me, learning Cantonese while knowing Mandarin gave me a 80-90% discount. The languages are very similar,
and a lot of it is just learning new pronunciations for characters you already know. Ironically, this hindered me a lot
in the beginning, since I found it incredibly boring to study, even though I love the language to death. It wasn't until
I was able to start using the language that I could get some good progress.

I've had the same problem with Spanish and Esperanto. I've tried to learn them several times and I fail miserably
every time. I feel like I'm just learning new ways of pronouncing the same words and it's just not very exciting. I
might have to give up on learning them and tackle something harder, that can keep my interest.
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 12
20 November 2011 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
For me, learning Cantonese while knowing Mandarin gave me a 80-90% discount. The languages are very similar, and a lot of it is just learning new pronunciations for characters you already know. Ironically, this hindered me a lot in the beginning, since I found it incredibly boring to study, even though I love the language to death. It wasn't until I was able to start using the language that I could get some good progress.

Like Ari, I find a lot of learning Portuguese calls for learning new pronunciations of similar words. This can be boring at times but is absolutely critical to speaking the language. Also, I have to learn a lot of new idioms. If you speak Spanish and then start learning Portuguese, you soon discover that Portuguese is a separate language. The grammatical similarity is helpful, but the vocabulary similarity is a sword that cuts both ways. Sometimes, when I don't know a word in Portuguese, I am actually afraid to use the Spanish word because, well, I may be right the majority of the time but those times that I'll be dead wrong happen often enough to give me some trepidation.

I started off in a higher level in Portuguese than if I had started without knowing Spanish. I started by reading Mozambican author, Mia Couto in Portuguese, and was able to enjoy it without having formally studied the language but I didn't get the same level of enjoyment that I get from reading in Spanish or English. It took a lot more effort. Now, after four months of study, my enjoyment of reading and listening in Portuguese is nearer to my level of enjoyment in English and Spanish, but I still have a way to go.

Portuguese isn't just Spanish that is pronounced differently. Portuguese is a language that uses many different constructions (in Spanish: things are "pleasing to you"-me gustan las flores- in Portuguese "you like of things"- gosto das flores) While many of the same words exist in both languages, many times a common Spanish word will be archaic, little used or only literary in Portuguese. The other pitfall is language interference both ways which one must be on the lookout for in order to avoid speaking "portunhol". K-Mart language discount shoppers beware, you can't get something for nothing! Even at a discount, there's still a price to be paid. You still have to work at it, just like you would any other language even though you're getting it for 2/3 off the retail price.

Edited by iguanamon on 20 November 2011 at 3:05pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 12
20 November 2011 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Latin and Esperanto were a good base for my Portuguese :) The downside is that I now see its (and other modern Romance languages') verb system as screwed up versions of the elegant Latin one, and I just CAN'T make myself study all those insane exceptions. On the other hand, it's opened my eyes to the AJATT-style natural learning and the joys of it.

Also, I'm really glad Portuguese was my first modern Romance language. Especially Spanish would make so much less sense without it, it's like with Finnish and Estonian, Karelian. In some ways, Finnish and Portuguese changed the least in their respective groups.

BTW as for "me gusta", I find the "a mi me gusta" thing just MADDENING. Sounds so uneducated to me, with my Latin and Portuguese background :))) Makes me feel good to realize just how many ancestors of modern Spanish speakers were reproached for saying it this way and called uneducated before this finally became correct and standard:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 5 of 12
20 November 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Remember that seizing the "discount" comes with a cost. Interference from the "stronger" language can affect use or understanding of the "weaker" language.

See the following for relevant discussion:

Best order to learn the Slavic languages
Can I learn 2 languages and a forced 3rd?
Czech through Russian
Discount on German?
German, Dutch, Swedish, etc.
Germanic family learning sequence
Germanic language learning sequence
How languages help you on for the next
Learn 'Slovio' first as help to Russian?
Learning sequence - Czech, Polish, Hungarian
Portuguese & Spanish Dilemma
Portuguese and the Spanish "discount"
Related languages, "discounts" and mixing
To Portuguese and Spanish speakers
Romance Language Family Learning Sequence
Romance Language Learning Sequence
Simultaneous Study of 3 Romance Languages
Slavic Language Family Learning Sequence
Which Germanic languages, in which order
14 persons have voted this message useful

fomalhaut
Groupie
United States
Joined 4714 days ago

80 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 6 of 12
20 November 2011 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
that's a great set of links, super thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

viedums
Hexaglot
Thailand
Joined 4477 days ago

327 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: Latvian, English*, German, Mandarin, Thai, French
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 7 of 12
16 February 2012 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
With Thai and Khmer, it's quite easy to learn one if you know the other well, even though they are in different families (Tai-Kadai and Mon-Khmer). Thai borrowed a lot from Khmer, they both have a lot of Indic vocabulary, and generally there's a weird sort of parallelism that must be due to the contact situation over the centuries. It really makes you question the saliency of "genetic" relationships between languages outside of the European context.
2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version