Groupie
BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4659 days ago

70 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC1, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 57 of 64
11 December 2011 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Oh god, now i am curious about lutefisk... In Brazil what terrorize foreigns is that chicken heart is very
popular.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 58 of 64
11 December 2011 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
LOL true about everyone sounding angry... I was in Finland recently and mum and I had a somewhat heated discussion in a taxi as we tried to plan the following day. The driver thought we were arguing and switched on Russian radio to cool us down!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5135 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 59 of 64
11 December 2011 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
When I first went to Spain, I was terrified for the first month. I was used to very soft spoken people, and the Andalusians I was staying with sounded and acted like they wanted to kill each other. As soon as I learned the language, I realized that they were discussing anything from the prize of oranges to a news story, and they were not even angry. Just enthusiastic.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6383 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 60 of 64
11 December 2011 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
When I first came to Norway, I had learned Norwegian from books and tapes, so I had a
reasonably good background, but I understood nothing of the local dialect. So I would hear people talking to each
other and think they seemed to be getting very angry, while in truth they were only discussing the weather or some
other innocuous topic. It was the stress and tone that made them seem angry to me.

Ha, that's funny. The general feeling amongst Swedes is that Norwegians all sound happy all the time. "It's
impossible to be angry in Norwegian" is a phrase I've heard several times. It goes so far that people from
Gothenburg, where the local dialect is influenced by Norwegian, are often considered the friendliest people in
Sweden, much because of their "happy" dialect.

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4835 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 61 of 64
12 December 2011 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
HMS wrote:
Jdmoncada,

Stop being so "precious" with your faux outrage. There is a clear difference with what I have mentioned to the situations previously discussed on this forum - that you seem so eager to state a viewpoint about. I would hazard a guess you have been "itching" for someone like me to post such a comment - to give you an outlet.

Get over yourself.

I had originally written a different longer response, but I decided to edit it shorter.

You misunderstood me. You took a personal offense where there was none to be had and certainly none intended. This is the Internet. It happens.

Edited by jdmoncada on 12 December 2011 at 6:41am

4 persons have voted this message useful

HMS
England
Joined 4908 days ago

143 posts - 256 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 62 of 64
14 December 2011 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
I had had a few beers when I made those comments. In hindsight I now realise what I had written was an absolute load of bollocks, and for that I offer my sincere apologies to you, and indeed anybody else who was riled by them.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6504 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 63 of 64
15 December 2011 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Referring to nway's message with the big picture of a raving mad Finnish citizen I saw a TV program yesterday about a sauna competition in Finland which went totally out of control: One participant died and another got third degree burns and had to have skin transplants to his back. The competition took place in Heinola in a new sauna, which even the Finns apparently find more brutal than other saunas. First, the temperature is 120 degrees C, and it is that high all the tinme. Second, there is water poured over hot stones as in other saunas, but the system that blows the steam towards the competitors is unusually efficient.

Sauna sitting is apparently an offical sport in Finland, though it has participants from other countries. Actually the man who died after 7 minutter in Hell was Russian, but the other one was Finnish - and the sport is definitely a Finnish invention, where those Finns really can demonstrate the notion of 'sisu'. And give up when your opponent is Russian? Nope, never - not even while your back is turning into cracklings!

Btw. the whole program was in Finnish with Danish subtitles.

Edited by Iversen on 15 December 2011 at 12:36am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6398 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 64 of 64
15 December 2011 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
Wow.
and i sometimes *outsit* Finns in hotel/waterpark saunas :D

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version