Groupie
China
Joined 4850 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 1 of 47
13 December 2011 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
Hi, I decide to start a personal Total Annihilation Challenge log in 2012. My target languages are Japanese, German and possibly Swedish.

I have checked several tTAC logs, considering joining a team. Then I realized that my approach of learning in Chinese could be irrelevant to others. Since I really like the atmosphere of this forum and my future goals are European languages, I just hang around with a personal log for now. If any team reckons I may still fit into their picture, I am glad to join one.

Unless there are new opportunities to communicate in these languages on a daily basis I will focus on reading and listening before moving to speaking and writing. I am more interested in reading/listening comprehension of the original materials anyway.

Japanese:
     Current Level: reading - (est.) N3/N4; listening - (est.) N5
     Goal by the end of 2012: take JLPT N1 exam on 2 Dec, 2012 and hopefully pass it
     Materials: a few JLPT exam prep books in Chinese, Japanese resources online
     Methods: Anki and anki
     Remarks: Learning for an exam instead of interests doesn't sound very right (or is it even decried on this forum?) but I can only hope this ambitious goal with prescribed deadlines would provide me a good motivation so as to dispel my inconsistency and procrastination in learning the language. This process may at least build a good foundation for me to proceed further.

German:
     Current Level: A1/A2
     Goal by the end of 2012: A2/B1
     Material: DW online courses

Swedish:
     Tentative
     Material: FSI - Swedish

-----------------------
Starting point:
Japanese:
     transferring an N2 vocabulary list from a book to Anki (and to my brain if lucky...), currently on Nouns section -- this book boasts 3230 words/expressions for N2 alone (blistering barnacles!);
     browsing old L4/L3 grammar booklet -- going smoothly;
     listening to an old L3 listening material -- hardly understand anything

German:
     DW Deutsch Interaktiv A1.2 Lektion 6

Swedish:
     Cover page of the FSI material

-----------------------
P.S. If any moderator of the forum happens to read up to this point, please help me add tags of "TAC", "Japanese" and "German". Thank you very much.

Edited by Everplayer on 24 December 2011 at 5:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6421 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 2 of 47
13 December 2011 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
If you want to be on a team, I'm sure you'd be welcome on our Japanese team. I think most of us are concentrating on Japanese, but there are a couple of others on the team who study German, I think. I don't think anyone there studies Swedish, but I know Norwegian, so I have something of a passive understanding of it. (I sometimes read books in Swedish and there are lots of Swedes in Norway, who just speak Swedish.)

I think your Japanese level is similar to mine, and I also have very high ambitions for this year. I don't know if I'll be able to reach my goals, but it will be fun to try. (I'm not taking any tests though.)

Here is the Japanese TAC team 2012 main log, if you want to have a look.

PS. It doesn't matter that you use Chinese materials. It's the target language that counts.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 13 December 2011 at 8:42am

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4850 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 

Message 3 of 47
13 December 2011 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Japanese
Daily Anki: 59.5min (6th day)
Listening: passive, understand nothing
N2 Vocab input to Anki: 1417/3230 (really time-consuming task)
Other: Learnt a few rules of 音便. This may help me correctly pronounce some kanji words.

German
Input into Anki a few words from Deutsch Interaktiv A1.2 L6
Daily Anki: 2.2min (1st day)

Edited by Everplayer on 13 December 2011 at 4:16pm

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4850 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 

Message 4 of 47
14 December 2011 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Japanese
Daily Anki: 44.6min
Listening: identified a few words and looked up some others with familiar sounds in a dictionary.
N2 Vocab Anki Input: 1891/3230 (altogether 1841 nouns, more than half of the list)

Found a website (日本語駆け込み寺) with some good grammar notes. Every thing is in Japanese but very readable. Today halfway through 初級文型の難所. (The title of the site is rather interesting...)

German
Daily Anki: 4.4min

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4850 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 

Message 5 of 47
15 December 2011 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Japanese
Daily Anki: 58.9min
Read an article from 読売新聞 and looked up lots of words along the way: お年玉 いくら包む? I wonder whether other peoples, besides Chinese, Japanese and Koreans, give kids "New Year's cash"...

German
Daily Anki: 6.3min

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4850 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 

Message 6 of 47
16 December 2011 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Japanese
Daily Anki: 57.6min
Found this cool add-on for firefox: Rikaichan
It provides instant translations from Japanese to English (or certain other languages) when the mouse hovers over Japanese words on webpages. Best on-screen translator I can imagine. I only hope the author may provide a Jap-Jap dictionary in future.

German
Daily Anki: 5.7min

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5886 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 7 of 47
16 December 2011 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Everplayer wrote:
Read an article from 読売新聞 and looked up lots of words along the way: お年玉 いくら包む? I wonder whether other peoples, besides Chinese, Japanese and Koreans, give kids "New Year's cash"...

Hi Everplayer, thanks for the link! It will take me a long time to get through the article, but it will be fun!

Everplayer
Diglot
Groupie
China
Joined 4850 days ago

69 posts - 85 votes 

Message 8 of 47
17 December 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Japanese