Diglot
Poland
Joined 5517 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 33 of 83
16 December 2011 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
I guess you can use a verb but it's not what comes to mind first. The most commonly used phrase is "Dziękuję za pomoc". That's just what you would say in Polish most often.
Now, you can also say "za udzielenie pomocy" sounds a bit more formal and applies to the past, "udzielenie (pierwszej) pomocy" it's first aid, it's what you do to people who are in physical danger.

You could say "za ich życzliwą ofertę aby pomóc" or "aby pomagać" which is the closest to literal translation of "for their kind offer to help". The latter sounds the least natural from all these versions, it was the last thing that came to my mind, I don't think anyone talks like that. The one with pomóc is a lot better but pomóc is a rarer verb form of pomagać.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4613 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 34 of 83
16 December 2011 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
I have another suggestion for the team name. It's a cute expression : prawdziwy rodzynek, which literally means real
raisin, but it is used to describe something valuable and rare (as raisins were in Poland for obvious reasons). If my
understanding is correct anyway. So we could be the prawdziwe rodzynki! (I confess I don't mind being called
a raisin...).

Edited by Homogenik on 16 December 2011 at 4:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4915 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 35 of 83
16 December 2011 at 4:54pm | IP Logged 
@ Homogenik, I like this name, it's very unique.

I've got a curious detail for you:

'rodzynek' (masculine) and 'rodzynka' (feminine) are both correct forms but only if they
refer to the rasin. In the case of 'prawdziwy rodzynek' only the masculine form is
correct. I am always confused by this peculiarity and I have to think twice before using
this word.

WentworthsGal
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4677 days ago

191 posts - 246 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Spanish

Message 36 of 83
16 December 2011 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Wow, so many people already have a great understanding of the Polish language. As I'm quite new to it, what resources (for a complete beginner) can you recommend to me so I can study the best I possibly can? I already have access to Pimsleur and MT Polish and also Hugo in 3 months. I wanna kick start the challenge in the new year with the right stuff :o) Thanks :o)

Edited by WentworthsGal on 16 December 2011 at 5:56pm

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4613 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 37 of 83
16 December 2011 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
WentworthsGal : I use the book series Hurra by Prolog and I think it's great. Even though it's meant for class work, I
do the many "group activities" by myself, sometimes orally, sometimes I just take the opportunity to write texts out
of them. They come with good recordings. I bought it directly from Poland as it was cheaper than from the US. You
can send me a private message if you want to know more.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5355 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 38 of 83
17 December 2011 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
WentworthsGal - Indeed, I've heard that the Hurra po Polsku books that Homogenik has suggested are
really good, and I'll probably end up getting a copy myself once I'm done with the course I'm using now, which is
Colloquial Polish. I've used the Colloquial series for all of my languages and think they're rather good for getting
a foundation in a language and for using as a stepping stone to A2/B1 materials. So I'd recommend that. I'm
lucky as I have a really good library near my place which has a pretty damn good language section which heaps
of courses and materials, and just the other day they got in the Living Language Polish course, which I've
borrowed and also looks to be a pretty good cause for laying that foundation down. Anyway, some things for you
to check out.

Below is a link to a post Chung made in another section of the forum which is full of info and links to resources
that you may be interested in checking out (actually you will want to check it out, as there is some very useful
stuff there). The only thing I'd add to that is a good site for listening to clear, authentic Polish, which I've added
the link for below.

Polish Info and
Resources

Radio TOK

Polish Online Dictionary - This is also in the list, but
thought I'd add it here anyway as it's such a good dictionary and every verb, noun and adjective comes with
conjugation/declension tables. It's is an extremelly handy site and I use it every time I'm studying Polish.

Pesahson - Thanks for explaining that in detail pasahson. So it's better to say in Polish, 'thanks for their
kind offer of help (lit.)', using the noun rather than the verb, will remember that. Dziękuję bardzo.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 39 of 83
17 December 2011 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Polish is a language I've been tempted to try for a long time but I still need to work on my other languages first. I wish you all good luck and a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to reading your logs.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4960 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 40 of 83
18 December 2011 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Gosiak i Pesahson, bardzo dziękuję za oferty pomocy! :) Polski to mój ulubiony język, ale czasami jest bardzo trudny, więc Wasza pomoc będzie nam nieodzowna!

If we are compiling a list of resources, there are two online dictionaries which I have found very useful. The first is a Polish-English/English-Polish dictionary, and the other is a Polish-Polish one.

http://en.pons.eu/

http://sjp.pwn.pl/

The second website has lots of other helpful materials on it, as well.

This discussion contains 83 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version