Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5009 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 73 of 167
01 May 2012 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Language Café. I can't stay away from that place. Probably because of the excitement of
never knowing what to expect there. I've had fun evenings, productive evenings,
unproductive but interesting evenings, evenings that felt like a complete waste of
time, and even evenings where I unintentionally rubbed people the wrong way and got
upset over it. There have now been several times when I've said to myself that I'm
never going back, only to find myself unable to resist as I walk past it the very next
week.

I went last night, usual story that I was passing by anyway and thought I'd go in in
the hope that the stars were aligned the right way for there to be people to speak
French with. No such luck - there were a couple of the regulars having a 25%-French-
75%-English conversation about religion in history and other such subjects to which I
have absolutely nothing to contribute, and that was it. So I just joined the Spanish
table, as the Spanish people are usually friendly and up practising their English, and
there were a couple of familiar faces there.

It turned out that the stars were in an even more unlikely configuration, leading to
several Italian speakers being there, and soon enough I got speaking to them in
Italian. It took me a couple of minutes to get going and get used to speaking the
language, but once I got into it I found myself expressing myself quite easily for the
most part. I must've been conversing in Italian for a good hour at least, and
apparently I made very few mistakes and didn't get any verbs wrong. It was a fairly
normal conversation about life, work, interests, travel, the usual stuff, but still, it
was my first proper long conversation in the language and the Italians were quite
amazed by my ability considering I've only been learning it for five months. And so was
I - I had no idea that I was anywhere near capable of conversing with a native speaker
for an hour, so I very much surprised myself!

So, long story short, I enjoyed a good bit of ego stroking for the rest of the night,
with people asking me what my "secret" is and saying that I must be "good with
languages". My "secret" is of course made quite clear on my log - spending years
learning French very frustratingly and inefficiently and applying the lessons learnt to
the similar language of Italian, and I'm now "good with languages" because learning one
has taught me how to learn others. I know it's very much comparing apples to oranges
but it's still hard to believe that my Italian is much better after five months of
self-teaching than my French was after five years at school.

Needless to say there are still huge gaps in my knowledge when it comes to vocabulary,
verb forms (for some reason I struggle to remember imperfect forms even though they're
common and quite regular), and expressions, and I'm sure I'd get quite lost quite
quickly in more complicated conversations. Still though, as I say I've pleasantly
surprised myself and impressed some Italians, so I'm pretty happy with this progress.

Super Challenge

Technically that hour of speaking was before midnight of the 1st, but... let's not let
a one hour difference ruin my glory now; I think it's a very fitting start to the
Challenge so I'm counting it anyway. Hell, it was past midnight in Italian time. Only
99 more to go! Since I hate Twitter and the SC twitter bot doesn't seem to support my
strange unofficial permutation of the challenge, I'll just be keeping track of it here.

Films: 0 done, 100 to go.
Speaking hours: 1 done, 99 to go.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4707 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 74 of 167
01 May 2012 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Wow, Gary, that sounds great. Congratulations!

I'm still waiting for such a breakthrough with my French though my coffee break chat abilities with my colleagues are somewhat okay by now and I recognised lately that I can read much faster than I could in January...

Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your Super Challenge. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
Joined 5009 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 

Message 75 of 167
02 May 2012 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! It was indeed a breakthrough, I discovered that my active knowledge is much
better than I believed.

It seems like the combination of Luca's Assimil method (or simply just the fact that I
made a proper effort to concentrate on the active wave and write down all the
translations) with self-talk exercises really helped "activate" what I was learning,
the shadowing taught me to produce it fluidly and quickly, and my early focus on
getting pronunciation right means that I have one less thing to think about when I'm
speaking. I'd say that my study method that I devised at the start of the log has been
a success so far! The one thing is that I didn't do nearly as much actual conversing
near the start as I had hoped, partly due to lack of opportunity and partly due to lack
of confidence. I'm unsure whether that would have boosted my results even further, or
if establishing a good base before starting to converse a lot was the right thing to
do, but in any case I think that doing a lot of "active" work from early on was an
excellent idea. I'm certainly happy that I'm getting closer to finding what methods
really work for me.

This success, and the fact that my daily routine won't seem the same without some
Assimil, has inspired me to work through Using French again, using Luca's "full circle"
method to try to get more of it into my active knowledge. A flick through it confirmed
that there's some good stuff in there and I hardly remember any of it, and I think it
could help plug a few gaps in my French and help me express myself a bit more
elegantly. Of course I'll skip over the historic and literary lessons and focus on the
conversational ones. This is mostly an experiment really as I'm still wondering if
there are diminishing returns from this method for more advanced and idiomatic
material, but reading a blog entry on Fluent
French Now
(a new blog aimed at advanced learners that I found out about in the
Links and Internet Resources forum which looks like it could have a lot of potential)
about how comparing English and French texts that express things using very different
idioms can be a good way to learn to express yourself better in French made me think
that maybe it could be more useful than I thought. If I'm happy with the results then I
may well get a copy of Perfectionnement Italien and do the same with it.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4691 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 76 of 167
03 May 2012 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Well, you've inspired me to take the plunge and sign up for a French Meet-Up. I have a
feeling that it'll be awkward for me at first; hopefully I'll settle in with it.

garyb
Triglot
Joined 5009 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 

Message 77 of 167
07 May 2012 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Well, you've inspired me to take the plunge and sign up for a French
Meet-Up. I have a
feeling that it'll be awkward for me at first; hopefully I'll settle in with it.

Good stuff, how did it go? Your log in turn inspired me to do some more travelling,
although I've no idea when I'll be able to fit it in...

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4691 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 78 of 167
07 May 2012 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
They don't seem to meet regularly - I'm still waiting to for the next event to be posted.

garyb
Triglot
Joined 5009 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 

Message 79 of 167
07 May 2012 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Français

French film night on Friday (La grande vadrouille), with the usual conversation after
the film. For the first time ever, someone complimented my French accent! The
complement was from a beginner, so I'll take it with a rather large pinch of salt, but
still it's the first time anyone's ever said anything positive about my accent, so my
work to improve it must be having some results. Anyway we had some funny slightly-drunk
conversation about the music festival I'm going to. It made me think that while I may
make mistakes, I may struggle to find words sometimes and not always express myself
well, and my accent may still need work, I can quite easily laugh and joke along with
native speakers without getting lost or feeling outside of the conversation, which is
great and the bad parts should keep improving with practice.

Apart from that I've started working through Using French as I said I would, and I had
some free time yesterday so I chatted a bit on Skype and watched a film: Case Départ.

Italiano + Super Challenge

No more real conversation but I've definitely done at least an hour of shadowing and
speaking practice in the last few days, and tonight I'm going to the Language Café
again and hopefully the Italians will be back. If not, there's also an Italian meetup
going on so I could bail and go to that instead if the Language Café isn't going well.
I'm choosing the language café first over the Italian meetup because if the last
Italian meetup is anything to go by then I probably wouldn't get much chance to
actually speak, and I'd also like a chance to practice French too. Shame they have to
be on the same evening.

Yesterday I watched some episodes of L'italiano in Famiglia, a bit of Youtube stuff,
and half an episode of Commissario Montalbano (with subtitles; I'm not attempting a
crime series without subtitles just yet!) which I think counts as one film in total.
Each episode of Montalbano is about 1 hour 45 mins so that's film length.

Films: 1 done, 99 to go.
Speaking hours: 2 done, 98 to go.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5011 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 80 of 167
08 May 2012 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:

It turned out that the stars were in an even more unlikely configuration, leading to
several Italian speakers being there, and soon enough I got speaking to them in
Italian. It took me a couple of minutes to get going and get used to speaking the
language, but once I got into it I found myself expressing myself quite easily for the
most part. I must've been conversing in Italian for a good hour at least, and
apparently I made very few mistakes and didn't get any verbs wrong. It was a fairly
normal conversation about life, work, interests, travel, the usual stuff, but still, it
was my first proper long conversation in the language and the Italians were quite
amazed by my ability considering I've only been learning it for five months. And so was
I - I had no idea that I was anywhere near capable of conversing with a native speaker
for an hour, so I very much surprised myself!

So, long story short, I enjoyed a good bit of ego stroking for the rest of the night,
with people asking me what my "secret" is and saying that I must be "good with
languages". My "secret" is of course made quite clear on my log - spending years
learning French very frustratingly and inefficiently and applying the lessons learnt to
the similar language of Italian, and I'm now "good with languages" because learning one
has taught me how to learn others.

Congratulations, Garyb. And looking over your log for the past year, the details of your other "secret" -
just steady, dogged, hard work - is evident too.   - Inspiring stuff!

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version