1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 121 of 167
29 August 2012 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Quabazaa wrote:
Sounds like you have made some great progress since I last checked in! How
do you find
keeping Italian and French separate? I still get a bit of bleed through between my French
& Spanish and it can be very annoying - sometimes when I remember the vocab for the
language I don't want it's like my brain fixates on it and can't bring up the other
language fast enough.

I've not found it to be a big issue, but I do find that the first few sentences don't come
very easily if I switch to one language after speaking the other for a while, as my brain
has to make the switch. This even happens, albeit to a lesser extent, when I switch back to
English after speaking French for a while. Also, I do sometimes accidentally slip in a
French word when I'm speaking Italian: it's always a small, common one that's similar in
both languages, like "comme" instead of "come" or "personne" instead of "persona" - this
happened more at first but it's becoming less and less of a problem with practice.
Similarly I find switching from Italian to French quite easy but French to Italian more
difficult. I think it's because of Italian being a weaker language for me, and one which I
don't have lots of experience speaking, so my mind easily falls back to the similar but
stronger and more well-practised French, and so as I get stronger and more experienced in
Italian it becomes less of an issue.

Generally I think the brain just needs to see each language as a separate thing. It's part
of why I believe in not starting a new language until reaching a comfortable level in the
previous one, by which point it will have established itself as, say, "French" rather than
"the new language". Also as you practice each one individually, they get stronger and more
independent and so you get better at switching and at not mixing them up. I've written in
my log before that it used to take me a while to "warm up" into "French mode" but as I kept
practising it became quicker and quicker. I think switching between languages is similar.
Overall I think it just comes down to practice, and "solidifying" each language. That's
just my thoughts though; this is discussed a lot in all the "several languages at once"
threads and people always have different experiences.
1 person has voted this message useful

Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5411 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 122 of 167
29 August 2012 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Cheers, sounds similar to what happens with me. I think my Spanish is just so dominant
that it tries to fill any hesitation in French I make with Spanish words. I also find I
warm up though and speak much better French after a while. Switching between German and
English and Spanish is much easier for me than switching from Spanish to French. I no
doubt just need practice, as you say.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5009 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 

Message 123 of 167
04 September 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
No more Italian conversation in the last week - not much time for Skype, no responses
when I did manage to get online, and no in-person speaking opportunities. I did re-
watch a couple of films though - Sotto falso nome and Le conseguenze dell'amore. Re-
watching films is always useful since you pick up things that you missed at first -
even more so when you have a few more months of studying under your belt the second
time round. I've also been racking up the French conversation hours, with a meetup one
evening then plenty one to one chat the next day. Recently I've been getting two or
three good French conversations per week in very consistently; as much as I'd love to
speak it every day, I think that three per week is a good and realistic goal
considering my schedule and my available opportunities. Now if only I can get my
Italian up to that as well - I'm currently managing one per week, which is a good start
and keeps things moving along but still isn't really enough.

Italian Super Challenge
Films: 20 done, 80 to go.
Speaking hours: 27 done, 73 to go.

garyb
Triglot
Joined 5009 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 

Message 124 of 167
10 September 2012 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Français

I went to a French film night last week, but unfortunately I was a bit tired and not in
a great mood which made it more difficult than usual to speak French well, not to
mention that it was often difficult to speak to people at all - the atmosphere didn't
seem particularly friendly, at least earlier on in the evening. It improved later on as
the crowd got smaller, but I still felt like my speaking ability had regressed by a
good six months or so.

Italiano

I spoke Italian for about five minutes on Skype, which was my first conversation in two
weeks. Needless to say I felt rather out of practice. I also re-watched the first half
of La Dolce Vita, which I'll count as one film because it's as long as one.

I'm taking another look into the methods for improving speaking ability without having
people to talk to, like self-talk. If I can do that sort of thing for even a few
minutes per day then it'll hopefully at least stop me from getting so out of practice
between rare conversation opportunities. I think an important part of developing a
language learning strategy is adapting it to your situation - I think that given my
goals and my learning experiences so far, a Fluent in 3 Months-style method centred
around lots of conversation would suit me best, but I need to accept that that simply
isn't going to happen and find ways to work round it.

Italian Super Challenge
Films: 21 done, 79 to go.
Speaking hours: 27 done, 73 to go.

So yeah, I keep talking about ups and downs - that "up" a couple of weeks ago was nice
for the few days it lasted.

I'm thinking about studying English teaching a bit - I currently have no intention of
doing the teaching English abroad thing, but it would give me something to offer
potential language exchange partners beyond just conversation and the novelty of being
a living, breathing Scottish person. A lot of the other people who I see advertising
for English-Italian exchanges seem to have some sort of TEFL qualification and/or
experience, so I need to be able to compete!

Also, the academic year has just started so there might be some opportunities to
practice with all the foreign students. Hey, I can hope...

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5197 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 125 of 167
10 September 2012 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 

They often run groupons for online TESOL courses like this one.

I took that same course last year and learned a lot from it, but it was very time-consuming. If you have the time and energy for it, it's well worth the information, and it would definitely be beneficial for helping others.

They run them frequently. I get daily emails for it, so if you're interested, let me know and I can keep an eye out for a current deal for you.

Disclaimer - no one paid me to say that. =)

garyb
Triglot
Joined 5009 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 

Message 126 of 167
10 September 2012 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

They often run groupons
for online TESOL courses like huntsville">this one.

I took that same course last year and learned a lot from it, but it was very time-
consuming. If you have the time and energy for it, it's well worth the information, and
it would definitely be beneficial for helping others.

They run them frequently. I get daily emails for it, so if you're interested, let me
know and I can keep an eye out for a current deal for you.

Disclaimer - no one paid me to say that. =)

Hmm, interesting! Unfortunately time and energy aren't things I have very much of at
the moment and I don't see that changing any time soon, although if it's something I
can work through in my lunch hour and other quiet times in the office then it might be
possible. I don't want to lose language study time as I'm sure you can understand :),
and I'm barely managing to keep up with music practice at the moment. Otherwise I could
always just pick up one of the TEFL textbooks and read through that at my own pace,
then I'll at least be able to say I'm familiar with teaching even if I won't have the
certificate. What sort of time commitment are we talking about?

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5197 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 127 of 167
10 September 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Hmm, interesting! Unfortunately time and energy aren't things I have very much of at the moment and I don't see that changing any time soon, although if it's something I can work through in my lunch hour and other quiet times in the office then it might be possible. I don't want to lose language study time as I'm sure you can understand :), and I'm barely managing to keep up with music practice at the moment. Otherwise I could always just pick up one of the TEFL textbooks and read through that at my own pace, then I'll at least be able to say I'm familiar with teaching even if I won't have the certificate. What sort of time commitment are we talking about?

They say 120 hours for the course, and I think they give you three months to finish it. So 40 hours a month, or ten hours a week. If you have the TEFL textbooks and are not looking for a certification, I would stick with that. If nothing else, you can use it as a reference point if your conversation partner has a problem with a particular grammar point. =)

2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
Joined 5009 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 

Message 128 of 167
10 September 2012 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
garyb wrote:
Hmm, interesting! Unfortunately time and energy aren't
things I have very much of at the moment and I don't see that changing any time soon,
although if it's something I can work through in my lunch hour and other quiet times in
the office then it might be possible. I don't want to lose language study time as I'm
sure you can understand :), and I'm barely managing to keep up with music practice at
the moment. Otherwise I could always just pick up one of the TEFL textbooks and read
through that at my own pace, then I'll at least be able to say I'm familiar with
teaching even if I won't have the certificate. What sort of time commitment are we
talking about?

They say 120 hours for the course, and I think they give you three months to finish it.
So 40 hours a month, or ten hours a week. If you have the TEFL textbooks and are not
looking for a certification, I would stick with that. If nothing else, you can use it
as a reference point if your conversation partner has a problem with a particular
grammar point. =)

Cheers for the info. Ten hours a week isn't going to happen, so I guess I'll go for a
book instead, although it's definitely something I'll keep in mind for the future. I
guess I really just want to have a background in the subject so I can offer better help
with grammar, writing, etc. on top of simple conversation practice, which any French or
Italian person living in my city probably already gets in their day-to-day life.

This discussion contains 167 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version