Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 9 of 33
06 January 2012 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
A couple of days ago I wrote a post about my goals for study time this year, but then I hit "Post Reply" and the page didn't load, and the message wasn't saved. I was too annoyed/lazy to rewrite it, but I guess I'll try now (making sure I copy what I write before hitting the button).

My initial goal was an hour a day, but I've realised that that's not realistic, and I really want to set a goal I'll stick to. I can easily do an hour a day on weekends, and on weekdays when my partner works evenings, but when he's home in the evening I spend time with him, so that cuts down on my study time. So, my new goal is this: at least one hour a day on weekends, and at least a half hour a day on weeknights, and of course I can study for longer whenever I happen to have the time. So far, this schedule has been working great.

In other news, I finished Michel Thomas French for Beginners, and have started the Language Booster program. Oh my goddess, it is SO MUCH harder than the Beginners course. I'll definitely have to go through it several times to make sure I learn everything. I think the reason is that there are no students; it's just Michel throwing knowledge at you really fast. He barely gives me time to hit the pause button before giving answers, too, which is annoying. I'm sure I'll learn a lot by the time I'm finished with the course, though.

Also, I've been sick all week! I got sick on New Year's Day, and have gotten much worse in the last couple of days. On the bright side, I stayed home from work yesterday and had a bit of extra study time. Unfortunately, I can barely talk. So I won't be starting FSI French Phonology until I'm feeling better, since my pronunciation would probably suck. So I did some L-R yesterday, since there's no talking required for that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 10 of 33
08 January 2012 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
1 week done!

January 1 - January 7:
French: 4:43

I finished MT French for Beginners, and have been working on Language Booster. I think I've pretty much learned the material from the first half hour of the program (it's 2 hours total). The Advanced course just came in at the library, so as soon as I'm done with Language Booster I can start on that.

I also did a little bit of L-R, but I'm starting to feel like I don't really get anything out of it. I can follow along based on the words I already know, but I don't pick up new words. And it's not just that I don't remember the new words. I don't catch them at all. So I might give this method a bit more time to win me over, but I don't have much hope for it.

Also, I'm still very sick and often gasping for air. But the pharmacist gave me an expectorant (something that should make me cough up mucous... eww), and it's making me cough more, so hopefully before too long I'll be right as rain. You know that feeling when you're sick for like a week and it feels like you don't remember what it's like not being sick? I feel like that.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5185 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 33
08 January 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Lianne - that's how I felt last week. Hopefully you will start feeling better soon.

It sounds like you got a lot done this week, for being sick!

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6260 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 12 of 33
08 January 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Almost anyone in my group who came back from the Junulara E-Semajno got a nasty cold.
I've been out of action in the past week, too. But what's the point of getting sick
without having been to a week-long Esperanto event first?!

DJ Kunar wrote:
“post-IS-sindromo“: psika stato de malbonfarto, ankaŭ konata sub la nomo
“IS-bluso“. Okazas kutime post la IS, foje en similaj formoj ankaŭ post aliaj etoso- kaj
spertoplenaj Esperanto-renkontiĝoj. Akompanata ne malofte de korpa malsaniĝo kiel
malvarmumo, gripo, virusa infekto.
kutimaj simptomoj: deprimiĝo, sopiro al fora loko kaj/aŭ persono, malemo fari ion ajn,
malfacileco transpreni la kutiman laboron/studadon/lernadon denove, ĉiutaga vivo eĉ pli
griza kaj neeltenebla ol antaŭe.

http://www.kunar.eu/taglibro/2004/01/08/universon-vi-konstru u/

Edited by Sprachprofi on 08 January 2012 at 7:16pm

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 13 of 33
16 January 2012 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
January 8 - January 14:
French: 0:41

Ugh, how embarassing. I have a good excuse, though. It turns out that my extended cold was probably actually the flu. Which I got over without antibiotics, so go me! But until this weekend I was feeling pretty terrible. Then this weekend my partner suddenly developed a fever (this is what clued me in that we probably had the flu), so I spent the last two days taking care of him, my poor baby. It's not that I didn't have time to study last week. It was just too exhausting. But today I'm down to a bit of a sniffle and my partner is exhausted but at least no longer feverish, so I should be able to get back into a regular routine today or tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm still watching all my teammates' logs, and you guys are doing great! Go team!

@Sprachprofi: I agree. If I'd gotten sick at an Esperanto event I wouldn't feel so bad about it! I've never even been to an Esperanto event, though I'd love to one day!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4799 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 14 of 33
19 January 2012 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
Nice log, Lianne. Good luck with keeping to your time goals. And especially with staying healthy, that is the prerequisite for studying.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 15 of 33
22 January 2012 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
January 15 - January 21:
French: 0:37

Seriously, I had barely recovered from the flu, and I woke up with a head cold. This is ridiculous.

However, that study time does not include time spent learning how to read old parish records written in French for my genealogy project. :P

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5185 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 33
22 January 2012 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
Lianne, I hope you start feeling better soon. We've had flu bugs and cold bugs in our house the past few weeks, too. No fun at all!

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version