Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 17 of 33
25 January 2012 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
I started my level 2 French class last night. Oh my goodness. The teacher speaks to us in French. She basically only translates something if someone asks her what it means. Meanwhile, I and several of my classmates who came straight from level 1 with me stare at her all squinty-eyed trying to get the gist of what she's saying. Where the heck was level 1.5? To make matters worse, there are several people in the class who basically seem to speak French already, and they seem all happy about it, and I feel an irrational irritation towards them.

On the bright side, this should give me plenty of motivation to study during the week. Because I really need to step it up if I'm ever going to feel comfortable in this class.

Other bright side: my teacher is bilingual, not someone who learned French as a second language, which is also a downside because that probably means she'll have "I don't know why, it just *feels* right" moments, but which also means she has a good accent for me to try to pick up (a St. Boniface accent if I'm not mistaken). So yay for that!
1 person has voted this message useful

blackdahlia
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4519 days ago

64 posts - 66 votes 
Studies: German, French
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 33
25 January 2012 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Aww, I know that feeling.

I'm sure you'll get used to it eventually. In high school I took French 1, then went to French 3 the next year so I could follow the IB program. i just remember a whole lot more was taught in French and at first it was confusing and hard to follow. Eventually, my ear adjusted.

What kind of class is it btw? A college course? Community education course?

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 19 of 33
25 January 2012 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
All I did was go from level 1 to level 2, and level 1 was easy, so I didn't think I'd have a problem! It is a different teacher, though, so I suppose she doesn't know what's covered in level 1.

The classes are offered through the continuing education program of the school division. Every school division in the city has one, though I have a lot more options now than when I was in a little suburb division! That's also how I've taken ballroom dancing in the past.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 20 of 33
25 January 2012 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Sometimes, the students are not evaluated properly, or else they simply pretend not to know anything so they can get into a less intimidating level. As a student, that is annoying (well, as a teacher too!), but it should also push you ahead, so make the most of it. If you absolutely must, you could ask her to translate more, but only after she said the French. Perhaps a simple sign (like lifting a finger) could be used to signify that you missed something. Could also simply be a different teaching style where she wants you guys to get more exposure. She probably has a good idea of what's taught in level 1.

This kind of thing is quite common for languages that are commonly learned in high school. A lot of people have a fair amount of passive knowledge or else haven't studied formally. Same for immigrant languages -- for instance, when I took Mandarin in university, most students were of Chinese decent and were either familiar with Mandarin or already spoke other dialects, so the class went super fast! Same with a Yiddish class where I appeared to be the only non-Jewish student. In this case, however, I spoke German, so that helped me more than their Hebrew or exposure to Yiddish.

Edited by Arekkusu on 25 January 2012 at 5:07pm

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 21 of 33
25 January 2012 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Actually, for these classes, we're not evaluated at all. Anyone can sign up for any level they want, so there isn't really a set standard for how much people should know in the class.

I'm sure she does want us to get more exposure, and I am thankful for that, but at the same time it's a bit much when I'm not even able to understand what she's talking about sometimes. And if I hadn't been doing Michel Thomas on my own, and had only taken level 1, I'd be completely lost.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 22 of 33
27 January 2012 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
I've decided to do the 6 week challenge in February for French. I did the 6wc once before, in August 2011, and it did not go well at all. A few days in, I was losing horribly, and basically gave up. But that was during a phase of not much studying that I was in. So I'm sure I'll do better this time!

As it happens, this 6wc is starting not longer after my level 2 French class started (right after my second class), and goes until almost the end of my class. So I think it will help me really make the most of the class.

Here's my plan. I'm going to try really hard to finish Michel Thomas French Language Booster before Feb. 1. Then, for the challenge, I'll take a break from Michel Thomas, and do FSI. Maybe starting with the Phonology course, or maybe just jumping right into the Basic course; I'm not sure. Advice on that from people who've done FSI French would be appreciated!

I haven't signed up yet, but I'll be doing that some time this weekend. If you want to follow my progress I'm @spockofvulcan on Twitter. I noticed Pesahson and Mani on the list! Are any other Romantics participating?

Edited by Lianne on 27 January 2012 at 7:57pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 23 of 33
28 January 2012 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
I've done FSI Volume 1 (Chapters 1-12), and am three chapters in to Volume 2. I say:
jump right in. I didn't do the phonology course, but I think that you are probably
ahead of that stage already. I've always thought of the phonology as a "pre-course"
(though I might be wrong).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 24 of 33
28 January 2012 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
I'm thinking you might be right, Kanewai. I had wanted to do the Phonology course first to improve my chances of ending up with a good accent, but now I'm thinking I'd rather have a St. Boniface accent than a France accent anyway, so maybe it wouldn't be that helpful. Anyway the Basic course has audio too, so it will still be helping me work on my pronunciation. Basic it is!

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version