Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 25 of 33
31 January 2012 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
January 22 - January 28:
French: 3:30

Not that good, considering most of that was my class... But this is the rest time leading up to the 6 week challenge. Yes, that's it...
1 person has voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 26 of 33
01 February 2012 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
The 6 week challenge has begun! It started almost 12 hours ago here, but I was sleeping and now I'm at work. Tonight, though, I'll be starting FSI. I didn't quite finish Michel Thomas French Language Booster, but that's ok. I'll get back to it after the challenge. I could use a change of pace, anyway.

30 people have already reported time in the challenge! I'm comforting myself with the thought that most of the world (everyone not in the Americas) has already had some or all of an evening. But I'm still very impressed by people's times... a couple people have already clocked over 3 hours!

So, for the next 6 weeks, it'll be lots of FSI, plus studying the material from my class. (Sidenote: I had my second class yesterday, and found I already understood more of what the teacher was saying. Yay immersion!) Good luck to all the 6wc participants!

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5171 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 27 of 33
01 February 2012 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
The goal of the 6-Week Challenge is to push yourself; you obviously can't compare yourself to someone who circumstantially happens to have more free time than you. Not that you are implying otherwise... but there's no reason to get yourself down over it. I work full-time, teach part-time and I've a wife and 2 kids... There's no way I can get anywhere near the scores of some other participants, but the challenge helps me push myself a bit.

Edited by Arekkusu on 01 February 2012 at 8:19pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6260 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 28 of 33
01 February 2012 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
What Arekkusu said. Don't compare yourself to someone with way more time on their hands.
Either find someone who is in a similar situation as you are, or just try to beat whoever
is 1-2 ranks above you at that moment.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 29 of 33
01 February 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
The goal of the 6-Week Challenge is to push yourself; you obviously can't compare yourself to someone who circumstantially happens to have more free time than you. Not that you are implying otherwise... but there's no reason to get yourself down over it. I work full-time, teach part-time and I've a wife and 2 kids... There's no way I can get anywhere near the scores of some other participants, but the challenge helps me push myself a bit.

Yeah, I know, but I'm fairly competitive so I can't help but compare myself to the people who are winning. :) Hopefully it will motivate me instead of getting me down!

I work full time, run two blogs, and have more than a reasonable number of hobbies, so my chances of winning aren't very high either, but a girl's gotta try! I'll consider it a success if I just study a lot more than I normally would.

dearwanderlust
United States
youtube.com/dearwandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5061 days ago

38 posts - 39 votes
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 30 of 33
01 February 2012 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Lianne wrote:
I haven't signed up yet, but I'll be doing that some time this weekend. If you want to follow my progress I'm @spockofvulcan on Twitter. I noticed Pesahson and Mani on the list! Are any other Romantics participating?

I'm also on the "Romantics" team and participating in the Feb. 2012 6wc. I'm studying Spanish but hope to start my French studies this year. Good luck with your studies and French class. I look forward to reading about it.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 4905 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 31 of 33
08 February 2012 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
January 29 - February 4:
French: 6:44

Wow, is that 6 Week Challenge ever motivating! I haven't missed a day since the challenge started! :) I'm currently sitting at 39th place, which is about where I usually am each day before logging any study time. After studying I'm usually in the 30ish zone. So not too bad! I'm still amazed by some of the times on that high score table... how on earth do you study for like 6 hours a day?! Wow.

For the 6WC, I've been doing exclusively FSI (plus my weekly class). It's been an interesting change of pace. I can usually manage to do about an hour and a half of FSI before my brain gets very sore. I definitely don't find it boring, though, like people often say. I just find it quite intense. It sometimes feels like they're trying to teach me French by making me say every possible sentence in the language... "We have a nice room on the second floor. I have a nice room on the second floor. They have a nice room on the second floor..." Haha.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 32 of 33
08 February 2012 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
I'm with you - my brain gets tired after an hour with a new language, and I need to take
a break. I don't know how people do six hours of language study a day. It's too much to
take in!

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version