Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 51
01 February 2012 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
You are welcome. I just had to share this :-)

As far as I can tell it is accurate, at least for French and Spanish. The trouble is,
that some of the audios are more loud than the others so it is hard to choose the
proper volume for comfortable learning.

So,a few more hundreds of words later:

+4
if you start several courses, you don't waste time on "relearning" vocabulary, the
overlaping words will continue where you stopped in another course.

a helpfull community, including the creator team.

a huge amount of courses to choose from.

the mnemonic help is probably most useful if you are learning a huge mass of new words
and if you are an English native but what I really like are the examples coming with
nearly every newly introduced word. And they include sentences, photos (invaluable with
things I am unsure about even in Czech such as the difference between meat "bleu",
"saignant", "a point", "bien cuit") and videos.

the course got a bit buggy after I ignored several words, it kept repeating another
couple of words in any course of the language I opened. I hope it is my mistake and it
will not happen again.

grammmar. There are only masculin forms of substantives and adjectives so if you are a
beginner or the words are new to you and you are unsure whether the feminine is formed
regularily, look it up in a reference source. The same applies to learning some of the
grammar words. English "the" = French "le" and not le, l', les.

words with more translations. It does take several good answers from you such as
English: "to live" French: "vivre" or "habiter" and it will tell you the good one in
the audio but it still doesn't work with every group of such words. And it may be a
trouble when you want to create your own set because it may be difficult to choose the
one main meaning (the rest can be added to the learning articles but not in the
excercise itself). But this is difficult in any SRS.

Edited by Cavesa on 01 February 2012 at 3:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 10 of 51
02 February 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
After sending my previous post, I realized it is already February! So, I started the
6wc and Esperanto. My main resource is Lernu. To the side is memrise, since there are
some vocabulary courses as well. But I should do those after getting basics of grammar,
as I explained in my previous post.

Today, I did just a few minutes of memrise Esperanto and about an hour of Lernu. First
3 lessons of Mi estas komencanto, first pieces of Bildoj kaj demandoj and the
beginning of La puzlo Esperanto.

My first feelings about the language and a real attempt to learn it:

It looks like the grammar will be easy as it is meant to be.

The vocabulary is mostly similar to my romance languages, which is wonderful for
passive understanding and horrible for active using, because I suppose I'll be doing a
lot of mistakes in the similarities. We'll see.

I am looking forward to the culture of Esperanto, and I expect I'll be able to
understand at least some short stories by the end of the 6wc and the lyrics of the
Esperanto songs presented at the Lernu site.

Have I already said lernu.net is wonderful? I suppose not, so I'm saying it now. It is
wonderful.

Ad I haven't said one more thing. My goal. So, perhaps the first of the Esperanto exams
might be realistic.

P.S. I took my courage and sent message to several potencial language exchange partners
on various sites. I'm curious.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 11 of 51
03 February 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
It is strange to write here so often but Esperanto just fills me with things I want to
say.

Firstly, when going through Bildoj kaj demandoj, I hadn't thought I could fail the
tests on the road. You need only 10 correct out of 15. I had 5 on my first attept on
test one because I hadn't known what to pay attention to. Vocabulary is not a trouble
but the difference between kiu, kio, kie... that wasn't too clear when I wasn't paying
special attention to it. And a few mistakes laid in not writing the sentence in the
needed form while I am not entirely sure whether my way was incorrect or just not
written in the allowed alternatives. I would usually go with incorrect quite without
hesitation but given the number of alternatives in Esperanto sentence structure and
that I was using something from romance languages, I am not sure. Further studies will
tell. On the second attempt I got 14 out of 15 (and the mistake was a mistype).

Secondly, I am slightly disapointed. I thought Esperanto would include more of the
germanic (and to lesser extent slavic) compound but it seems too romance so far. I hope
it will change as I learn more. If not, I will probably leave it after the 6wc with
thanks, get my Spanish to a reasonable level and try Italian.

A nice thing is that the pronunciacion is nearly completely czech.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5504 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 12 of 51
03 February 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

The vocabulary is mostly similar to my romance languages, which is wonderful for
passive understanding and horrible for active using, because I suppose I'll be doing a
lot of mistakes in the similarities. We'll see.

You and I seem to share a lot of the same feelings about Esperanto, and the part of your post I quoted above perfectly expresses my main problem with it. I get such awful mental blocks whenever I try to write anything in the language, because I don't know which language's word root to use! Overall I'm pro-Esperanto – and I think conceptually it's a brilliant idea – but that definitely doesn't mean that I think it's perfect and flawless. Your open-minded approach to the language is refreshing, I must say; so many people seem to instantly develop a strong bias either for or against the language.

I'm really enjoying following your log, by the way!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 13 of 51
05 February 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much Jinx! When I read your message the first time, it really made me
smile for a looong time. :-)

Good news everyone:

Esperanto.
I'm chewing bildoj kaj demandoj and I'm at nearly half of the course. It is not bad, I
just need to write things down. It gives me more time to digest the
kiu/kio/kie/kiuj/kion and I remember the things better. However, I am looking forward
to diving in another course. And after going through the theory, I am curious about the
correspondence course but that is still quite far before me (approximately a week :-) )

French, Spanish and German
Still practicing vocabulary at memrise. I should get back to my German assimil soon. I
have tried watching the Futurama in Spanish and stayed with it for five minutes. It was
too difficult for me. It is faster than the audiobooks I had listened to before, there
was a lot of unknown vocabulary and the quality of sound wasn't ideal so I didn't have
mood for trying it again. I will certainly come back to it one day but I need something
easier first.

English
I have changed status of English to Advanced fluency. Why? I have just realized I no
longer have troubles understanding movies and tv series without subtitles (including
details). I was keeping them because of being used to them until a week ago. My
speaking skills are far from perfect (and they will never be native-like) but I think
my overall abilities is higher than just "basic fluency".

But to keep humble, I was reminded there is still a lot of vocabulary to learn. One of
my recent discoveries (on this forum) is "a caveat". I love that word.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 14 of 51
25 February 2012 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Time for update. I have survived the exam time but not with much success. I have too
much work for summer semester :-( If I fail, I'll have a lot of troubles. I am now back
with my languages, even though I don't have much mood for learning. For learning quite
anything. And I desperately need to find my lost interest and passion for studying. I
am not sure how much time I can devote to languages but since I am procrastinating
anyways, giving that time to a language is no harm. I have found out that I can only
continue or restart the same field of study because I am just not interested in
anything else. I looked at language focused programs at the university but I am not
excited about them. Some have as a main target C1 only (the first three years. I
suppose C2 is for the additional two years), the others would include a lot of other
things which I am not eager to take. Sure, I love literature but I am afraid having too
much of it as a duty might spoil the fun for me. I am behind with my current books
(more than ten on my bookshelf for months...)

But I have a good motivation, at least for French-I should try the C1 exam, at least in
the fall because I might be looking for a job by then (worst option). But I received a
good sign, which I wrote of in the nerd thread (three four-leaf clovers found in a
second-hand French textbook), so perhaps the future is not that dark.

Sorry to sound too sad, can't help it much. But to my languages:

Esperanto-reviewed most of what I had learnt before break and it is still there.

English-watched a lot of the big bang theory and futurama (too much). And I am reading
the Game of Thrones which I love. It is perfect. (I know I should not put any time in
all this but those are actually nearly the only moments when I am not worrying at all.)

The rest (French, Spanish, German)-resting in peace, waiting for resurection.

So, my dear log readers and team mates, see you next time, hopefully in happier mood.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5206 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 51
25 February 2012 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
The Big Bang Theory is one of my favorite shows of all time.

When I'm in one of those moods, I'll sit down and watch a whole bunch of episodes in a row. It usually has me laughing so hard my stomach hurts!

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4843 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 51
25 February 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Espero que reencuentra su pasión. Me gusta también el Big Bang Theory!

Buena suerte!

(quería escribir algo en Español...)

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version