Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 33 of 51
16 May 2012 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
still no progress with tickers and due to my limited access to the internet, I have
fallen through the ranks at memrise.

progress in super challenges:
1 and 1/2 French movie (fifth episode of Game of Thrones and first of Grimm)
1/2 English movie (last but one episode of Chuck)

I should get to the bot.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 34 of 51
17 May 2012 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
So, I decided to ignore all the good reasons not to say it and here it is:

From now, I will learn a bit of one language every day!!!

It is a bit of a challenge to keep to it. The time limit is 20 minutes every day. And the
Super Challenges don't count! Starting today.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 35 of 51
19 May 2012 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
1. My plan "20 minutes everyday" got postponed but today it starts. No excuses. Right
after finishing this post.

2. How do you know you have spent far too much money on bookworld 2012? You have
trouble with walking home under the weight. The result: three reading books and a
popular psychology book in Czech and several language books: The long awaited course of
Swedish, A nice course of German, an advanced course of French (I was unsur about it
but from my first few looks inside, it could be very useful) in two tomes, a Swedish
dictionary (a cheap one from 1999) and a Czech based German grammar (more comprehensive
than the Basic Grammar I am using now)

Non materialistic gain: I have looked inside a book in Romanian (Romania was a main
guest at the event), and in a Polish one (even though I was disappointed by the place
of the Polish institut), I've discovered a great looking Spanish comic book which I can
borrow in Cervantes, I was invited to the library of the Skandinavian House and I've
enjoyed great atmosphere and breathed among thousands of books. And there was the
perfect caffe latte :-) It was yesterday and I'm still smiling at the memories.

3.Due to troubles with the internet connection, I have thought of starting to buy dvds
again. Not everything just things I am sure to watch again (and things I have tried
online so I am sure I'll like it). And more likely series because the price per hour is
better :-D There are nice, in several languages and at good price, at amazons but the
shipping costs are horrible at all of them (even though the French ones are the worst
and Spanish ones are nearly realistic) :-(

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 36 of 51
26 May 2012 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Super Challenge:

1 French movie: second and third episode of Grimm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 37 of 51
01 June 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
SC:

French:4th, 5th, 6th and 8th episode of Grimm = 2 movies
English: 7th episode of Grimm = 1/2 movie

non SC:
memrise: I am progressing with my Spanish word list and began the German one
textbook work: review of Spanish, listening and review of Assimil German (I hope to
continue soon), beginning of first lesson of Czech based German textbook

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5504 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 38 of 51
07 June 2012 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Your "bookworld" experience sounds fantastic... is that a book fair? I'm jealous of all your purchases – sounds like so much fun!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 39 of 51
07 June 2012 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Yes, it is the largest book fair in the Czech Republic. There are most Czech publishers
who present their books and sell them there for interesting prices (many of them wait
with their news to present them there), there are other language books presented (there
is always quite a large French language choice, less German, surprisingly much less
English, some Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese(!), Slovak (a shame how little I know about
contemporary Slovak literature), Polish...

And there is always a main guest, which was Romania this year (it were the Emirates
last year), and another "main topic", which was the comic book. There is accompanying
program as well, both inside the fair (lectures, presentations, discussions) and at
other places in Prague (several cinemas, theatre,...).

And there are two cafés (at least two). The coffee was really marvelous. Just what you
need to continue walking around and admiring so much for another few hours with
significantly increasing weight you carry :-)

And it is awesome to see so many people delighted by thousands of books around them.
One even starts to think the nation hasn't fell so low yet, as it sometimes seems (for
exemple when you see too many people in the bus reading a junk "newspaper". :-D And
that I'm not the weird one.

You see, no matter what is happening now, the memory still brings a smile to my,
usually worried, face.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 40 of 51
02 July 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged 
Good news everyone.

A lot in my life has changed during last month or two. A lot. There are some negative
changes but most are positive ones, including increased amount of free time! Of course
a LOT of other work emerged immediately after I found time but I don't give up this
time.

So, I am in a half of a French book but it will take a few more days to finish... One
by Fred Vargas, I really love the author.

And I am now studying Spanish quite a lot. I have decided to make it the priority of
month June. Priority for August will be German. But I will be doing bits of other
languages as well during the summer (my great French grammar review is still going on
the background), I just need to really move forward in both these. It is going quite
well.

At the end of the month, I'd like to have this completed:
-First volume of my main course (Učebnice současné španělštiny) which claims to take me
to B2. I am moving through this quite fast, there are many translation and other
exercises which really make things stick
-First volume of the other czech based course with nice exercises (Fiesta)
-at least 25 lessons of Assimil (it is just a supplement for my Spanish, mainly
listening exercise and source for shadowing)
-vocabulary of all this put in Memrise so I can just practice it (ouch, I really didn't
have much time for Memrise lately.)

and I would like to be really ready for a book at the end of July. I have three or four
lying on the shelf and waiting (Cathedral del Mar, El Principe de la niebla, and one or
two more. and a lot more in my computer :-) ).

Super challenge update:
21 episodes of Stargate in original = 10,5 films in English.

I need to rework my "challenge summary" post on page four. the tickers are buggy, I'll
just find some pictures to make the post stand out. the twitter bot is nice but I don't
feel comfortable using it. I will put there larger chunks of info, I think.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version