Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 18 of 51
14 March 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all for your support. :-) I had taken some break from languages (and most of
my other studies as well) until about a week ago to recover a bit from being desperate.
:-D I had finished the 6wc long before the end and I've given up Esperanto even though
I will surely return to it when the time allows it because I still consider it an
interesting experiment.

On Friday, I am going to France for a week of skiing! I'll have a few opportunities to
speak as well but I am rusty. Since the french tv series streaming website was mostly
removed from the internet (and I havent found a substitution yet), I don't have that
much of fun listening material.

I have begun learning basics of Italian. I know it sounds crazy to start something new
now but I need it for my job. There are lots of Italian customers in the shop where I
sell and most of them know no languages, not even English. So, the best option proved
to be them speaking slow Italian (and repeating things twice of three times) and me
speaking real bad Spanish. I think I can just as well speak bad Italian soon :-) I got
a great czech based textbook with a lot of drill exercises. A flaw so far seems to be
the choice of vocabulary. "Il campanile" in the second lesson surprised me. I hope
more relevant vocabulary will fill the rest (it promises about 3500 words in whole
course). The course seems pretty good when it comes to most of the dialogues and
grammar and it aims to bring me to level C1. But I will need to substitute it with a
lot of listening exercises, since the audio covers only the introductory dialogues.

I am still reading the song of ice and fire, currently the second part of book three,
and I am quite addicted. But I am not reading now because I am afraid of the chapters
to come as I've accidentally read more spoilers than I wanted and I don't wanna see
some of my favourite chars dead. I know it sounds stupid. It's been a long time since I
loved chars of a book so much. And at the end of this week, book five is being released
in paperback! I hope GRRM's health will be perfect for at least next ten years so he
can finish the series (I hope it doesn't sound bad but I believe many people
understand. Especially fans of the Wheel of Time).

My German is asleep but I'll wake it up when I'm back from France. Until then, genetics
and physiology are my main targets. It looks funny when a huge part of my baggage to
the mountains is consists of heavy books but I'm used to it.

I'll need to catch up on my teammates logs since I've been reading even the forums much
less lately. I hope you are all well. And bravely pursuing your language studies of
course :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 19 of 51
08 April 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
Good news, everyone.

It's been a long time since I wrote last time but I have some good news. The week in
France was great, I got back some good mood and got complimented on my French a few
times. Not sure how much is true about that or whether they just had really low
expectations of foreigners speaking it. I found out that people outside the tourist
areas are much nicer. And I used an expression which I had met on memrise and thought
"I will never need that." It was very useful (I wanted the meat "bien cuit").

Back in Prague, I was in theatre to see Pierre Richard's one man show and it was
perfect. I must admit I didn't understand much when he was imitating a man speaking
with a lisp and I was grateful for the subtitles at the moment :-D It was wonderful, if
anyone has the opportunity, I highly recommend it. Mr. Richard was entertaining the
public whole time, but never stupidly. The way he makes fun of his own clumsiness is
awesome, I really don't know how much he is clumsy and how much he is pretending in the
old films. And it was one of the rare occassions when I wasn't laughing the loudest
(accually, my laughter was completely lost under the roaring).

And since I am back at home, I am back at the languages as well. I am spending quite a
lot of time at memrise. When I have more time, I will create my own wordlists but not
now. I have found quite nice thematic lists for Spanish.

I am reading in English but I am resuming my other language studies as well. I found
out I had learnt cyrillics quite well because I had several opportunities to read it. I
understand just a part of the meaning (after all, I don't study Russian), but it is fun
to be litterate.

Last thing. I noticed the Freutsch team is less visible in the logs forum. That is
wrong. I will update more frequently to fight against this ugly phenomenon :-D

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4679 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 20 of 51
08 April 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back !

Yeah, the Freutsch team a bit down at the moment. We need all the help we can get.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 21 of 51
12 April 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Bjorn.

I have been memrising lately and I even gathered the courage to start creating my own
lists. It will take time but it will be worth it as they will be the best lists on whole
site :-D (just kidding. but they will be very good among the lists for the target
languages).

Another + of my own lists will be knowing how huge is my vocabulary. I am taking it as a
mix of review, relearning and learning new words, set phrases, idioms etc. I started with
Spanish.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 22 of 51
12 April 2012 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
And I nearly forgot. I have recently watched quite a lot of Doctor Who (and Torchwood) in
English with French subtitles.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5020 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 23 of 51
13 April 2012 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
And I nearly forgot. I have recently watched quite a lot of Doctor Who (and Torchwood) in
English with French subtitles.

I don't know which seasons you've been watching, but if you've been catching the ones with David Tennant as the
Doctor, you might also like to try his Hamlet.   It's a
BBC/Royal Shakespeare Company co-production, and - as expected -excellent. There are English captions, but
there doesn't seem to be (even on Amazon.fr) a version with French subtitles. Still, even just the English
should be enough to extend your vocab somewhat...! (One of the many things I like about this production is that
the language really comes alive - it's not a musty artifact that one has to study.)

Nice log you have here, by the way. And I know just what you mean about the joy of finding new words: one of
my earlier delights was the French word "néanmoins": nevertheless, nonetheless. It's such an ordinary,
frequently-used word, but I liked its utility as a conjunction, and the way it sounds. It looks, at first glance,
like such a tricky word (I initially wondered, "could it be a legal term?"); néanmoins, it is really so simple and
obvious once the word has been explained.

Edited by songlines on 13 April 2012 at 5:33am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 24 of 51
14 April 2012 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Thank you, Songlines! It is nice to hear such a nice feedback to my log :-) Thanks for
the advice about Hamlet, it looks really good. I haven't gathered my courrage for
Shakespeare in original yet but I should.

Néanmoins is a beautiful word. So simple once you are used to it and still looks tricky
at first glance and therefore makes you sound clever :-D I love approximativement
similarily.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version