Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2012: Team 龍 / Луу (East Asian Lang.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
75 messages over 10 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 9 10 Next >>
EmersoninKorea
United States
emersoninkorea.
Joined 4581 days ago

25 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 9 of 75
26 December 2011 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Guess we have three people. Any other takers?
1 person has voted this message useful

petrklic
Triglot
Pro Member
Czech Republic
Joined 4893 days ago

95 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, Russian
Studies: Vietnamese
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 75
26 December 2011 at 2:41pm | IP Logged 
Any ideas about name of the team? It seems to be traditional to pick a letter from studied language. We will be a disparate group, so this may prove challenging.

Maybe we could form some sort of an orthographic joke, like naming it Team 오̛̉, which is a name of letter "o" in Hangul, with Vietnamese hoơk and accent mảrk. Hopefully this looks about the same on your screens as it does on mine. Unfortunately, that doesn't include Mongolian and Japanese.

I'm open to proposals.

petrklic
Triglot
Pro Member
Czech Republic
Joined 4893 days ago

95 posts - 109 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 75
26 December 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
This is to let you know that I have created a log for my Vietnamese study.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6963 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 12 of 75
26 December 2011 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
petrklic wrote:
Any ideas about name of the team? It seems to be traditional to pick a letter from studied language. We will be a disparate group, so this may prove challenging.

Maybe we could form some sort of an orthographic joke, like naming it Team 오̛̉, which is a name of letter "o" in Hangul, with Vietnamese hoơk and accent mảrk. Hopefully this looks about the same on your screens as it does on mine. Unfortunately, that doesn't include Mongolian and Japanese.

I'm open to proposals.

Even though I won't likely be a member of the team (there's a slim chance that I might be able to come "on loan" with the team's approval as part of some short-term challenge with Mongolian later this year), how about something involving tigers or dragons? This is based loosely on the financial journalists' idea or even cliché of "Asian Tigers" or "Asian Dragons".

To resolve the problem of diverse languages with different scripts, how about naming the team with versions in each of the appropriate languages for "tiger" or "dragon"? (I used a similar idea in *jäŋe / *ledús to cover Finno-Ugric and Balto-Slavonic but drew instead on the proto-languages)

I.e.

- "Tiger"
Team 老虎 / トラ / 호랑이 / 虎 / Бар / སྟག / Hổ (Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Mongolian, Tibetan, Vietnamese)

- "Dragon" (two sets partially because of distinction in Japanese and Korean between non-Chinese dragons and Chinese ones)

Team 龍 / ドラゴン / 드래곤 / 龙* / Луу / བྲུག / Rồng (Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Mongolian, Tibetan, Vietnamese)

Team 龍 / 竜 / 용 / 龙* / Луу / བྲུག / Rồng (Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Mongolian, Tibetan, Vietnamese)

*traditional: 龍

It'd be up to you how to treat the name for Chinese languages since the symbols can be the same visually even if pronounced differently.
3 persons have voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5456 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 13 of 75
26 December 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I think Dragon would fit, since that's the mythical creature people tend to associate East Asia with.

petrklic
Triglot
Pro Member
Czech Republic
Joined 4893 days ago

95 posts - 109 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 75
26 December 2011 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
I agree, I like Team Dragon!

I'm thinking that we could collapse Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean and Vietnamese in one, as they all used Chinese characters at some point in history (some of them to this day). It would make the team name somehow manageable in length: Team 龍/Луу (we would keep Mongolian as a reminder to Chung that he's free to hop on when he feels like it). Thoughts?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6963 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 15 of 75
26 December 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
I am glad that my ideas have taken hold even if at very most I'm afraid that I'd be no more than a spare part or on reserve for a few weeks. :-)

petrklic wrote:
I agree, I like Team Dragon!

I'm thinking that we could collapse Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean and Vietnamese in one, as they all used Chinese characters at some point in history (some of them to this day). It would make the team name somehow manageable in length: Team 龍/Луу (we would keep Mongolian as a reminder to Chung that he's free to hop on when he feels like it). Thoughts?

No chalani, urobte to, co chcete. Ale teraz sa citim, ze sa musim zucastnit na vasom TAC, aby som poskytol "mongolsky obsah" ;-)

(translation for those other than petrklic: "Well guys, do as you please. But I now feel that I have to participate in your TAC in order to provide "Mongol content"")
2 persons have voted this message useful

EmersoninKorea
United States
emersoninkorea.
Joined 4581 days ago

25 posts - 26 votes
Studies: Korean

Message 16 of 75
27 December 2011 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
1. Sounds good to me for the team name.

2. I always have loved the look of Tibetan's script.

3. So, that means your on the team?

This discussion contains 75 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version