Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC 2012: Team 龍 / Луу (East Asian Lang.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
75 messages over 10 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 9 10 Next >>
Chung
Diglot
Joined 6963 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 17 of 75
27 December 2011 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
It all depends on whether I'll have time to take a crack at Mongolian. If I could manage it, then I'd be happy to post updates here about my progress in it. Basically I'd be a very transient member.
1 person has voted this message useful

zhanglong
United States
Joined 4736 days ago

322 posts - 427 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 18 of 75
27 December 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
I'd love to be part of this for Mandarin and Cantonese. I just have to read further to see how this TAC is supposed to be organized. Given my name, of course, I agree with the tentative name.

:)

Other interesting languages in this area that I have no intention of seriously chasing for another two years at least: Tibetan and Manchu.

EmersoninKorea
United States
emersoninkorea.
Joined 4581 days ago

25 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 19 of 75
28 December 2011 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
Awesome - glad to have you.

I am new to the TAC as well, but I think it is just consistently posting in the team blog or own blog about what you have been doing and the progress you have made. What has been working, what has not, etc.

Mainly, it is just a way to have people expecting you to post saying you are progressing, keeping you somewhat accountable to focus on the language. Or, at least that's what I think it is.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5342 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 20 of 75
28 December 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
I've decided to go ahead and try out the Team TAC this coming year (mostly as a good reason to set more solid language goals) and this team seems like the right fit.

Language: Korean
Current Level: Varies based on the type of skill (reading, writing, listening, speaking), but overall I'd say...low-to-mid intermediate?
Goals:
- Complete the 6000 Essential Vocabulary list (I made it partway through then kind of stalled, though I have learned a ton of words that *aren't* on the 6000 essential list during this time)
- Reach at least 600 total Hanja (currently at 224, so this goal should be easily reachable)
- Greatly increase my speaking practice (there are some native speakers in the area, too, so I need to make use of that)
- Greatly increase my reading (whether via bilingual text or Korean-only, as long as I read a lot more)
- Continue to increase my writing (which I'm already working on via Twitter and via some chatting with The Real CZ)
- Greatly increase my listening skills (via the above speaking practice and by watching a greater percentage of *unsubbed* Korean media)

It's possible I will try to revive Spanish from its back burner location this year or possibly even start to dabble with Japanese, but Korean will continue to be my primary focus regardless.

Edited by Warp3 on 28 December 2011 at 3:52pm

petrklic
Triglot
Pro Member
Czech Republic
Joined 4893 days ago

95 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, Russian
Studies: Vietnamese
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 75
28 December 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Great, welcome on board!

I've updated the first post of this thread to include a list of team members.

zhanglong
United States
Joined 4736 days ago

322 posts - 427 votes 

Message 22 of 75
30 December 2011 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin's post in the main TAC thread:

"If you can bring motivation and guts enough to try to study Japanese and Russian from beginner to C1 in one year, and some other languages as well, then you are most welcome. All you have to do is to announce yourself in the Russian thread, and start your own log (one of two?) and of course read your team mates' logs and give encouraging comments."

I love the lofty goals! So in that spirit, I want to further specify what my goals for 2012 will be.

Mandarin

Current level: A2
Goal: C1
Environment: Social, Professional, Academic

Cantonese

Current level: A1
Goal: B1
Environment: Social

I already have two logs for these languages. The question is, how do I tag them?
"Team 龍"? TAC 2012? What's the convention for the team so that we are all on the same page?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5342 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 23 of 75
30 December 2011 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
For actual tags, I just used the "Total Annihilation Challenge (TAC)" tag (which seems to be the only TAC-related tag available). If you mean modifying the log titles, which is what I assume you meant, I was wondering what to do about that myself. Either of the options you listed sounds good to me. Some teams seems to be including their team name in the titles and some aren't.

zhanglong
United States
Joined 4736 days ago

322 posts - 427 votes 

Message 24 of 75
30 December 2011 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
I'll use:

"TAC 2012: Team 龍" for now and change it to whatever the rest of the team will adopt.

( somehow "Total Annihilation Challenge" makes it sound like a video game to me )

My Cantonese progress will be detailed in the "Cantonese Odyssey" thread.

My Mandarin progress will be explored in more detail in the "Chinese Odyssey" thread.

Edited by zhanglong on 30 December 2011 at 4:25am

This discussion contains 75 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version