62 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 8 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 41 of 62
14 June 2012 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Which one? I went through the Langenscheidts (sp?) one and it's one of the best Finnish textbooks! It teaches pretty much everything that's there to teach about the grammar.
Good luck!
1 person has voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5050 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 42 of 62
15 June 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Yes, its Langenscheidts praktisches lehrbuch finnisch and as you say it seems quite decent for now.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5050 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 43 of 62
08 July 2012 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
In contradiction with the general tendency to write increasingly rare in this log, I've decided to write a few lines today.

First, as it has long been proved, first by the 6WC and more recently by the Super challenge, I dont obey any deadlines. A few days after the start I can't care less about finishing anything in time, everything depends on my moment mood. However, after being replied in this topic, I realised its about time to learn some more vocabulary. So two days ago (or was it yesterday?) I set up myself a goal - to learn at least 100 Finnish words a day. I'll be using memrise for this purpose. The bigger challenge however will be to strengthen my will and not give up whenever it dawns on me (whenever the idea of it flashes through).

Another thing - I started learning a new language. Its name begins with Ma and ends in............... - what a suprise - gyar. Completely in step with the team. As for now I know nothing besides how to read it and very few set words and phrases. I'm still searching for a resources/course to start off with.

As for Norwegian, there is pretty much nothing happening. I listen to radio on and off, but more off. I've found some people to chat with in German and Im suprised that I can say something more besides set phrases.

Let's hope I'll find some motivation to post again in less than two weeks.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 44 of 62
08 July 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
a3 wrote:
Another thing - I started learning a new language. Its name begins with Ma and ends in............... - what a suprise - gyar. Completely in step with the team. As for now I know nothing besides how to read it and very few set words and phrases. I'm still searching for a resources/course to start off with.

For a sec, I thought that you had just started to learn Mari as I had.

There are some links (scroll to "LINKS" in the profile) to freely available learning material for Hungarian on the internet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5050 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 45 of 62
08 July 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
For a sec, I thought that you had just started to learn Mari as I had.
now that you mentioned it, I spent a good amount of time looking at the wiki page on it instead of learning vocab, though atm i dont have any time for more langs
also, thanks for the links

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5143 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 46 of 62
09 July 2012 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
That's great that you're still active and even better that you're starting Hungarian. You can practise writing on the Hungarian forum and get corrections if and when you want. Welcome to the Hungarian club! :)

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5050 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 47 of 62
14 July 2012 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Nine days and about 1000 words later, I still dont understand much from that book. I dont know if its not meant for begginers and anyway I cant care less - there are tons of other things to read.
Im saying this since just a while ago I visited selkouutiset and I was astonished to find out that I understood nearly every single word and I virtually dont need wiktionary anymore - though I still use it so I can understand everything.
I dont know if this is because I have advanced so much or because selkouutiset uses simple language, the latter being more likely. I dont remember when was the last time I read from that website, but I certainly didnt understand that much, 50% at most.
I havent advanced (much) with Hungarian, but this will now change, since I wont be learning 100 and more words per day. Now that I have fought all those Finnish declensions and conjugations hardly anything in Hungarian can impress me.

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5050 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 

Message 48 of 62
09 August 2012 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I've just had my first skype chat in Finnish. I was using dictionary all the time - in one direction only, so to understand what are they talking to me - and making a good amount of mistakes, yet somehow I felt how my skills somehow skyrocketed. It lasted for nearly an hour. The more important thing however is that we were (or rather my colluctor was) talking about things and using words you wouldn't find in a beginners' course. And I understood him.
This is a kind of a symbolic milestone. *hyvin iloinen*

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version