36 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5497 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 1 of 36
27 December 2011 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
PART 1: INTRODUCTION

Hi everybody!

This is going to be my TAC 2012 log. (My 2011 log can be found here.) I know that the title is a bit confusing – "Freutsch and Catalan" – but on closer inspection, it perfectly explains my target languages (and corresponding teams) for this coming year:

- French and German with the Freutsch team

- Catalan with the Catalan team

I'll try to make this "mission statement" post a little more organized by splitting it into parts.

PART 2: CURRENT STATUS

My current (self-estimated) levels in my three primary target languages are as follows.

- German: C1
- French: B1
- Catalan: A1/A2

Not sure about Catalan. I've been studying it very sporadically for less than two months, which would make me more apt to be conservative and put myself at A1; but on the other hand, it's an easy and fun language in which I already feel brave enough to compose a few very basic texts, so maybe I'm approaching A2.

I'm studying for my M.A. in translation in Germany and living with German flatmates, living my life probably 50-80% in German, and therefore feel pretty solid on the C1 level. It's going to take a while yet before I get anywhere near a C2, though.

Catalan I study for four hours a week at university, which isn't much, but at least it's some structured learning time with practice in all four skills and assigned homework.

That leaves only French for me to fit into my life somehow. During the fall I've been working my way through the Harry Potter series in French, which certainly isn't much of an intellectual challenge but helps me "place" many words and expressions in their correct context and register (one of the most important things to learn about any language, I believe).

PART 3: THIS YEAR'S GOALS

For German, I seriously doubt I'll reach C2 by the end of this year, but since that's the only place left to go, I'm going to keep heading in that direction. More specifically I'd like to make fewer mistakes when conversing casually with friends, and work on writing in different styles (forum-speak, academic, creative) as well as increasing reading speed in all different areas (academic, nonfiction, novels, news, etc.).

For Catalan, it's a little hard to pick a target because I don't know if I'll be studying it at uni after July. I'd like to stay with it through the whole year in any case, though, so I'll set an eminently reachable goal of B1 by the end of 2012. I know it may not sound impressive, but Catalan is really just overgrown wanderlust on my part anyway, so I don't want to shoot too high and risk overextending myself and falling behind on my German uni work.

As for French, I'm not entirely sure where I want to go next with this language. Maybe writing. I don't have many French-speaking friends in Leipzig, and although there are three French people among my colleagues, we work independently and therefore see each other only one day a month. And there's not much media available for listening in French (by my standards: good music and TV is rather lacking for the language, and I don't have the time in my life to watch a lot of films). So I guess it would make more sense to focus on reading and writing in this coming year. I'd like to really branch out and acquire some more interesting passive vocab, while at the same time moving my current vocab knowledge from passive to active by using it in writing.

PART 4: THE NITTY-GRITTY

So, down to brass tacks, what am I actually going to DO, practically speaking, in each of my languages this year?

GERMAN: courses taught in German (~15h a week), translation homework in both directions (~5h a week), conversation with friends and flatmates (~10h a week), listening to German music (~3.5h a week), reading German books or websites (~8h a week), writing emails etc. in German (~1.5h a week) = projected study about 43 hours a week of German, in one way or another.

CATALAN: course taught in Catalan (4h a week), homework for CT class (~1h a week) = projected study about 5 hours a week of Catalan, just for schoolwork. I'll try to make time to study some more on my own – for example, I'd love to work through Assimil Catalan, which I have in Spanish – but I'm following my own lead and staying cautious with regard to Catalan. I want it to remain a fun break from the rigors of German (haha, just kidding, I love you Deutsch!).

FRENCH: no regular planned study. Hopefully a few hours of reading per week, and writing when possible. I'm going to keep this loose too – there's enough regiment in my life already. I'll try to take advantage of lang-8.com if I have the time, though, and post texts there as often as possible.

For all my languages, I hope to use them here in my log as often as possible. I haven't done this as often as I could in the past, and I'd like to really make that a habit this year.

PART 5: POTENTIAL WANDERLUST

It's more than possible – in fact, highly likely – that this year will feature many amusing diversions for me in the way of language wanderlust. A few possibilities that have been lurking in the background but pressing ever forward are:

- Mandarin
- Spanish (bad idea! I'm doing Catalan!)
- Dutch
- Italian
- Turkish
- Russian
- Croatian

The last three, if I do end up spending any time with them, will be brand new experiences for me. The reasons behind their sudden appearance? Germany has a lot of Turks, Leipzig has a lot of Russians, and Croatian has been popping into my life from various angles recently.

PART 6: WELL I GUESS THAT'S ABOUT IT

A hearty hallo to all my merry teammates studying French and German: LanguageSponge, Spanky, Bjorn, Cavesa, oziohume, Adrean, ReQuest, and Crush! Go Team Freutsch! (ETA: Welcome, new team members acriter, MerryCrassmas, nsan, and Acut!)

And don't let's forget my co-conspirators (okay, maybe that's not the word I was looking for...) in all matters Catalan: Alexander86, anamsc, and kanewai!

I'm absolutely thrilled to be a part of TWO teams this year, and I hope I can do well by all of you. :)

Edited by Jinx on 15 July 2012 at 3:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5570 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 2 of 36
27 December 2011 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
Hello Jinx,

I'm not sure what language you want me to write in to you this year, so I'll write this
first one in English. Let me know if you want me to switch to French or German, or
write in both sporadically, or if you fancy later on in the year, I could write in
Russian, Italian or Spanish (but not Catalan) if it calls for it :) We are thrilled to
have you as part of Team Freutsch (allez les bleus! as my girlfriend says) and I am
sure you will do very well by all of us. That does sound like quite a hefty amount of
hours for German especially, I hope to be able to come somewhat close to that.

In terms of French, I am somewhat scandalised to read that you think there's not much
good media for it. There's tons. Are you talking about listening material or reading,
or what? During my extremely negative days of French, I started a thread about
motivations for learning it. I hate to read it now, as I was fuming when I wrote it and
it's quite embarrassing as now I love it, but there's plenty of good stuff out there.
Bonne chance avec le français :)

Due to our issue editing the first post of our team thread, I've decided not to quote
your post so as to make it easier for you if you want to change anything, so...

I thought it was only a matter of time before Turkish or Russian came into the mix -
The last piece of coursework I did for German before I left school dealt with the
question of the many Turks making their way into Germany at the time, who *apparently*
refused to learn German. Also, I knew about situation in Leipzig with reference to the
Russians (God only know how; I've never been to Leipzig). If either of these are your
choice in terms of Wanderlust (it looks strange to me without a capital letter),
успехов! (Good luck!)

Jack
1 person has voted this message useful

Bjorn
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4672 days ago

244 posts - 286 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 3 of 36
29 December 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your languagestudies !

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5497 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 4 of 36
31 December 2011 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
I've finally gotten back to Germany, after two jolly weeks stateside with the family for Christmas. It was wonderful to be home, of course, but I got practically no study done. Oh well, I'm just in time for the TAC to start up again and give me a motivational boost, I suppose. Right now I'm kind of stressing out in my life due to financial issues, and I can tell you, it's amazing how quickly stuff like language study gets put on the back burner when the question of how to pay rent and still afford food becomes more important.

Due to lovely friends and their generosity, I have the opportunity to visit Paris, Stockholm, and Belgrade in the coming months. If I can figure out some way to make the travel work (some way that feels okay to me safety- and money-wise), I would absolutely love this opportunity to be immersed in these languages! The dangerous part about the latter two, of course, is the fact that I've already been lusting heavily after Swedish and Croatian recently. Out of the blue but intense. Gotta maintain, gotta maintain...

Right now I'm sitting in a café waiting for my train, hearing people speak German, English, Italian, and Swedish around me. I do love city life. I've slept about six hours in the past three days – I bet you can guess what I'm planning to do when I get home to Leipzig!

Thanks for the well-wishes, Bjorn and LanguageSponge! I'm very much looking forward to this year. :)

@LanguageSponge, feel free to write in any language you want to me, although I won't understand the Russian... yet. When I said "media for listening" in French I meant exactly that, which for me generally includes music, TV, film, and audiobooks. Audiobooks have unfortunately never worked for me, even in English, and as I mentioned, I don't have the time to watch full-length films very often. And yes, in my opinion there's not much good music and television available in French. :] Admittedly, I haven't done extensive research into French TV programming the way I have with French music, but for both of them, I haven't come up with anything I like yet. I am always more than open to suggestions, though, seeing as I am determined to learn this language by hook or by crook! (Probably more of the latter than the former...) Anyway, that's my reason for choosing to stick primarily to reading in French – because there's certainly no lack of wonderful material there.

I know I'm going to end up tackling Turkish and Russian at some point... it's pretty much inevitable. :) But, seeing how little language-learning time I have in my life, I think it would be best for me to stick with the ones I've already started for as long as possible before introducing anything new to the mix, haha.

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4785 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 5 of 36
01 January 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
What a wonderfully well developed plan =) Let's hope it is all as clean and easy as it seems. I am in a somewhat
similar situation with regards to languages, so I feel great affinity to your situation, as well as the clear links in the
languages we study (I do intend to start double French classes in the fall).

I wish I had the opportunities that you have in German! You must be progressing seamlessly (although it may not
feel this way sometimes). And I quite agree with your Catalan/German juxtaposition, as that is exactly how I feel.
Catalan does seem more free and easy than German, and it is a good antidote when you really don't want to think
about endings, cases and all that lark.

I wish you the best of luck.

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5497 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 6 of 36
12 January 2012 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
12 January 2012

I'm back. There's good news and bad news, people. The bad news: it's not even two weeks into the new year, and my language plans have already changed. The good news: I'm not dropping anything, I'm only adding something. And what is this something, you may ask? I'll tell you: CROATIAN. It's a total head-over-heels sudden-infatuation love affair.

The funny thing is, though, it's not actually that sudden. Here are the contributing factors:

1. In September I made a new friend, Alfhild, who is very interested in South-East Europe and infected me with her enthusiasm for the culture and language.

2. Alfhild gave me a bunch of Serbo-Croatian music recommendations, and I found several bands/artists which I really like – I can't stop singing their songs.

3. For months now I've been randomly encountering photos of beautiful places, thinking "Where the heck is that?" and then finding out it's Croatia.

4. This fall I started watching Tatort München, a fantastic crime-show series where one of the police inspectors is Croatian-German. Hearing his muttered curses in his native tongue piqued my interest. :)

5. Forum member ellasevia, whose log I follow religiously, recently found out that he was accepted to a study-abroad program in Croatia and has therefore begun learning the language. As the regulars here already know, his language-learning motivation and exhaustive study-tracking methods are legendary, and often very inspirational.

6. I randomly stumbled upon this webpage about Serbo-Croatian swearing recently (WARNING: extreme and poetic profanity), which pretty much sealed the deal for me: after reading the entire thing, I had fallen hard for Croatian. How can you not love a language where a legitimate curse is "F*** the soup made with the nails Jesus was crucified with"?

And yes, I know I wrote in my last post: "…seeing how little language-learning time I have in my life, I think it would be best for me to stick with the ones I've already started for as long as possible before introducing anything new to the mix." Very well then, I contradict myself – I am large, I contain multitudes.

A general note for this year's TAC: I've decided to stop posting my anally obsessive every-minute-of-every-day study-tracking information in my blog. I assume it interests few besides me, and I usually end up forgetting to post it every day anyway, and then posting a whole month's worth from time to time. I'm going to keep maintaining my primary language log offline, as always, and for my HTLAL log I'm going to focus on more conversational entries, where I write about the types of studies I've been doing lately, my problems and successes, etc., and also practice using my languages as much as possible. I guess I'll make a "check-in" section for each language where I talk about what I've been doing with that language. Here we go!

CROATIAN

So, how do things look with Croatian? I started studying it exactly a week ago and I've racked up 24 hours so far, not counting the time I'm going to spend on it today after I write this entry. I told you it was a whirlwind romance. I just hope this one lasts. At the moment, I am charmed by every aspect of this language: the spelling, the vocabulary, the pronunciation, the weird cases and declensions, even the crazy triple whammy of pitch accent, stress, and vowel length. Plus, every bit of cultural knowledge I acquire makes me more intrigued in Croatian and general Balkan history. I'll admit I was woefully uninformed about the bloody past of the Balkan region, and I'm eager to extend my (nonexistent) knowledge in this area. I watched a film last night, called Karaula (The Border Post) – a very strong, well-acted and well-directed piece – which functions on a personal level (between individual characters) as a subtle but effective metaphor for the breakup of Yugoslavia. I recommend it to anyone who has an interest in this topic.

Anyway, let's see… my primary resources for Croatian include the following:
- Bosnian, Serbian, Croatian: A Textbook with Exercises and Basic Grammar (Alexander)
- Teach Yourself Croatian (Norris)
- Pimsleur Croatian
- Assimil: Le serbo-croate sans peine
- various online resources

I have some other resources too, but I've found these to be more than satisfactory so far (especially the first textbook, by Ronelle Alexander – it's fantastic). Although I'm definitely focusing on the Croatian variant of BSC, I would like to become aware of the general dialect differences between Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and Montenegro (and, for example, between Zagreb and Dalmatia, and so on – I've heard that Zagrebians speak with less of a pitch accent… but first things first).

There's not much I can say in the language yet, after only a week of study, obviously. Let's see what I can crank out, though…

Bog! Zovem se Jinx i sam Amerikanka. Obožavam jezike. Govorim engleski, razumijem njemački i učim hrvatski (i mnogo druge jezike). Nemam puno vremena jer puno studiram i radim, ali stalno učim jezike svejedno.

That was artificial and awkward, but hey, what do you expect. :) Even so, I like trying to write in Croatian. Could anyone possibly correct that paragraph for me?

GERMAN

Hier werde ich mal ein bisschen auf Deutsch schreiben. Ich würde gern öfters hier bei HTLAL mein Deutsch üben, da ich anderswo im Internet (und im Alltag) normalerweise keine Kritik mehr kriege. Ich weiß, dass mein geschriebenes Deutsch etwas schludrig werden kann, weil ich meistens mit jungen Leuten rumhänge, die entweder meine viele Fehler überhaupt nicht merken oder sich bloß nicht dafür interessieren, mich zu korrigieren. Aber ich brauche es immer noch zu verbessern. Besonders beim Reden kann ich kaum einen ganzen Satz ohne Fehler schaffen. Das bedeutet aber natürlich nicht, dass man mich nicht versteht; genau das ist eigentlich das Problem. Weil mich Leute schon ziemlich gut verstehen können, geben sie sich nicht mehr die Mühe, mich zu korrigieren, und deshalb bleibe ich hier stehen, ohne weiter nach Vorne zu kommen. Das kann ich ja schon verstehen – ich würde mich wahrscheinlich auch so verhalten – aber es ist trotzdem ärgerlich, wie schwierig das Sprachverbessern jetzt wird. (As ever, I welcome corrections!)

Now that I'm back in Leipzig and uni has started up after Christmas, I'm getting lots of opportunities to speak German again. I know two people who tend to speak English with me, but otherwise I speak German with all my friends here. Weirdly enough, I feel like my German got a tiny bit better over Christmas break, when I didn't speak any at all. Maybe I needed time to let my newly acquired knowledge sink in. In any case, the time of rest is over, because exams are coming up soon. To be brutally honest, I am pretty scared. I've never sat exams European-style before – my undergraduate classes mostly involved writing papers. So the whole concept of taking notes all semester and then regurgitating it all in one gigantic exam (for each lecture course) is an utterly new and terrifying one. I've also never had to do exams that were made for native German speakers, which is the most intimidating aspect to me – what if I come across a question to which I know the answer, but am unable to explain it using the correct German terminology?

Luckily several of my courses are giving me Hausarbeit (take-home translation exams) instead of a sit-down short-term-memory test (which is, in my opinion, pretty much all that traditional exams are). So I'll be doing one take-home translation from German into English (easy peasy), a bunch from English into German (oh god no), a couple of in-class exams on translation theory and history (OH GOD NO), and of course there's also my last course…

CATALAN

I'll be honest with you: last week, I seriously feared that my motivation for this lovely language might have entirely vanished. I hadn't touched it since the middle of December, didn't see its purpose in my life, and was "frisch verliebt" in Croatian. But today my Catalan class had its first meeting of the new year, and my motivation's back!

We in "Katalanisch I" are lucky to have a great teacher, Oscar, who's relaxed and yet enthusiastic about the language and culture. Besides teaching us the language in the traditional way, he also shares a lot of cultural and linguistic resources with us – pop songs, online radio, good news sources, opera, interviews with important Catalan cultural figures, etc. – which add an important facet of vibrancy and modernity to our language studies.

Today, as preparation for class, I read a news article from "El Punt Avui", a piece on the potential viability of an independent Catalan state in light of the current economic situation in Europe. It was really interesting and surprisingly easy to read, considering how down I'd been feeling about my Catalan. I guess a week of intensely studying a Slavic language was useful to remind me how reassuringly transparent the Romance family is – reading several Croatian news articles in the past few days really tested my memory and contextual understanding to the limit!

No puc escriure molt encara en català sense un diccionari, pero dec practicar. He un examen oral en dues setmanas i vull estar ben preparat! Ara em sembla que no seria capaç de parlar de qualsevol cosa! (…corrections, anyone?)

FRENCH

I've done the least with French in the past few weeks, but I still feel okay about it. After one day this past week where I spent more than eight hours studying Croatian and German without realizing it, I found myself lying in bed that night with French going around in my head, and I tried making up a monologue to myself, and found that… it still works. Whew. French is very forgiving to me – I hardly touch it for a few months and it still doesn't leave me. Not to say that I'm "doing well" in it at all, however; I'm barely maintaining my previous level, and certainly haven't made any strides forward since I stopped reading in November. Exams will be over in a month, though, and then I'll have two months of freedom, in which I hope to get back to reading French. My writing has also decayed horribly in the past half-year, as I quickly saw during the lead-up to this TAC, when I tried to write in French in the forums here. Solution? I'll practice it here in the log, and hopefully get some useful corrections from my lovely teammates, among whom are several fluent speakers of French. I'm counting on you guys here! :)

Alors je vais écrire un peu en français. Je sais qu'il me manque encore beaucoup de vocabulaire, et je n'ai pas envie d'utiliser un dictionnaire, bien que ça serait une très bonne idée. Peut-être je deviens paresseuse? Autrefois, l'opposé était toujours mon problème – j'étais perfectioniste, et je ne voulais jamais ni écire ni dire rien, parce que j'avais peur que j'aurais tort. Aujourd'hui, j'ai developpé beaucoup plus de confiance en moi. Je sais encore que je fais des tas de fautes, mais j'écris et je parle en dépit de ça. On doit exposer les fautes pour pouvoir les corriger!

ALL RIGHT LET'S WRAP IT UP

As I said above in the respective sections for each language, I very much appreciate any corrections of my mistakes! I try to remember to say this each time, but if I ever forget to, you can always safely assume that I will be grateful for your help in any case. In return I am always glad to help others when asked – either with my native language, English, or any of the languages that I've studied.

P.S.
Thanks very much for your comment, Alexander86! Yes, German can be hellishly difficult – even though it's my first and truest love and makes me happy like no other language does, I am still more than willing to freely admit this. ;)

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5497 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 

Message 7 of 36
17 January 2012 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
17 January 2012

Woke up feeling rather unwell today. But the silver lining is that being sick always gives me plenty of time to work on my languages, and no excuse not to. Today I aim to do something brief in each of my four current target languages.

I just realized I haven't been counting my paid translation work over the past few months (I'm translating a language-learning website from German to English – lingo4you.com if you want to check it out) as study time for German, although I'm learning plenty of language-related vocabulary and improving my style as I do it. Well, I won't start now, but it's nice to reminded that I have even a little bit more German in my life than I had previously estimated.

Let's take a look at the past few days.

GERMAN

Not much real "study-study" going on here – I continue to live my life about 60% in German, and I have definitely noticed that my comprehension has gone WAY up since I moved here at the end of August. I understand far more of what my flatmates say, for example, whereas at the beginning most of it went right over my head. I do have several friends, however, who seem incapable of slowing down even a little or speaking any more clearly than usual when we're talking together. Of course I don't really expect them to go out of their way for me, but you'd think they might get tired of me constantly asking "Sorry? What was that? Could you repeat it?" Actually I've been wondering lately if I might be partially deaf to higher tones… I've always had a little more trouble understanding my female friends, especially in loud and distracting surroundings, than seems to be usual for most people.

Yesterday I wrote a short text in German, sort of free-associating about the topic of one of my approaching exams. I wrote it while my professor was talking about other things which I was also taking notes on, so it's probably completely disjointed and awkward… but if you want to check it out, I posted it on Lang-8 here.

Right now I'm listening to my favorite new Prinzen song, "Leben strengt an", which has the distinction of being funny, textually clever, and musically lovely, as well as lyrically addressing the absurdity of modern life in a way that is at once charming, sad, and comforting. Highly recommended! It can be heard here (use a proxy if you don't have access).

FRENCH

Again, I find myself randomly speaking French recently. Due to being reminded of it today while reading Spanky's log, I watched the section "Le quatrième" from the vignette-film "Paris, je t'aime". I wasn't really impressed by the entire film when I watched it last year, but it's nice to be reminded of this section, which I think is one of the most powerful in the whole piece. In three weeks my exams will be over, and I'm planning to celebrate by spending a whole day in the bookstore continuing my Harry-Potter-in-French binge (I think I left off in the middle of the fifth book in November…).

CATALAN

Not much happened with Catalan this past week. I bookmarked a couple of CT news sites and made a resolution to read something small in the language every day. Haven't done too well with that yet – I keep forgetting. I listened to the first four songs from Manel's album "10 milles per veure una bona armadura" a couple of days ago – maybe I'll finish listening to the album today. I like the concept, although so far the songs haven't really differentiated themselves from each other enough to be truly impressive. But the album got some big award (I think best Catalan-language album of 2011?), so I'm going to give it a chance.

CROATIAN

I have spent SO much time listening to Croatian music. There's a lot of good stuff out there! In the realm of "real study", I spent 40 minutes on a listening-comprehension exercise from GLOSS last night. It was a recording of a radio show where the guest was a bishop, and they got a call-in from a contentious woman who had a bone to pick with him. Quite a good lesson! The focused listening was very helpful to me. I've also been learning to play (on the guitar) and sing some of my favorite Croatian songs, "Majko" and "Nadalina" by Oliver Dragojević and "Pričaj mi o ljubavi" by Đavoli.

---
That's it for now – time to stop writing about languages and start actually studying them! (Well, after getting some more translation done on the website – I have to finish a big section of it for tomorrow.)

Edited by Jinx on 10 June 2012 at 7:02pm

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4785 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 8 of 36
17 January 2012 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Keep up the good work. I know what you mean about people speaking really fast and it being annoying
interrupting them, but in the end I just go with the flow and listen until I can come back into the conversation. I've
also done little Catalan so far... But I'm off to Barcelona on Friday so I'll be reading something in Catalan every day,
hearing and seeing it around me etc, so I should learn a lot =)

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version