Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 144
29 December 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Beautiful song - can't comment on the lyrics:-) Good luck with your Russian studies!
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 10 of 144
29 December 2011 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
And sad.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4607 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 11 of 144
02 January 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
I saw an ancient Irish manuscript at our university's rare books section and thought, wow, Irish looks so
elegant! I have to keep my wanderlust in check, though :)

Good luck! Your log's off to a great start!

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4767 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 12 of 144
02 January 2012 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
wow stupid soft signs! I really am about to rip every hair from my head. I feel like I
know what I should be doing in theory, and I can tell the difference when I hear it, but
my poor, weak, clumsy American mouth just can't make the right sound!

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4607 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 13 of 144
03 January 2012 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Your frustration got me thinking, Ellsworth. When I listen to Japanese, and feel the urge to produce the same
sounds I hear, I start to whisper it, and it sounds perfect. However, as soon as I pronounce the word audibly,
it sounds somewhat different, which kind of puts a damper on things and makes it depressing. I recently
figured out a way to deal with it.

1. Listen to the word/phrase repeatedly before attempting to pronounce it. You will pick all the different points
each time you listen to it. Then you can start pronouncing it backwards. As in, pronounce the last syllable
first, then add to it the one before, and so on.

2. If it's a video you're watching, watch how the actors move, the way the move their heads, their facial nd
bodily gestures, and how they move their mouths and lips. Americans move differently when speaking than if
they were Japanese, Hindi, etc. When I tried to do this with Japanese, I found I was producing a more natural
sounding accent. I'm not attempting to speak out loud yet, but the phrases I know well and feel comfortable
saying are the ones I try out different things with. I think pronunciation relies on both how you use your
tongue/mouth and how you actually move your head and body. Am I making sense? Try to pretend you're
Irish!

3. Another thought that just popped in my mind right now is to record your voice and play it back. By
comparing it to the native speaker you'll be able to work out what needs to be fixed.

Hope that was some help to you. You'll get there eventually! I know nothing about Irish, but good luck with
everything!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4767 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 14 of 144
03 January 2012 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice Woodsei! I am going to try everything you said, as well as I just
got a book on Russian phonology, with useful diagrams on how my mouth should be shaped. I
hope all together I come up with something...

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4607 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 15 of 144
04 January 2012 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
You're perfectly welcome! I think, ultimately, is that it all boils down to prolonged and repeated exposure to
the language. The more you hear of it, the more it becomes ingrained and closer to being second nature. I
also find having an intimate relationship with the phrase helpful. Understanding perfectly what it means and
the many different situations it can be used in naturally without sounding odd or forced helps by leaps and
bounds. That's why I guess I'm such a huge proponent of gargantuan amounts of listening:) I don't have a
fixed theory for a silent period or anything that I religiously adhere by; my theory is to just let speaking come
when it comes. You'll know it then.

I might sound too greedy, but care to share the name of the book you have on Russian phonology? It sounds
interesting!

Break a leg! (in the metaphorical sense, of course:). )

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4767 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 

Message 16 of 144
05 January 2012 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
Introduction to Russian Phonology and Word Structure, William S. Hamiliton
Yeah I agree about the listening. I even try listening to Russian that I can't understand
yet, just for exposure to the sounds.

This discussion contains 144 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version