Groupie
United States
Joined 4720 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Sámi

Message 1 of 40
29 December 2011 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
I am beginning a new learning journal for the TAC 2012 *jäŋe / *ledús team.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 4720 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 

Message 2 of 40
29 December 2011 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
My ultimate goal is to learn North Saami, or Davvisámigiella. This requires learning either Norwegian or Swedish (eventually both?) Since I will be using Gulahalan, I have bought Teach Yourself Swedish, a parallel Bible, and an English-Swedish dictionary (should get the Swedish-to-English one next). There are few materials from Saami to English but I have them all, and many websites.

Dabbling in self-study has been fun over the past year, but I need to get serious so we can travel and meet friends and family in Sápmi. Most of my friends and acquaintances are wishy-washy (it's hard not to be with this dearth of books or programs). Another thing I run into is the ones who know and speak Saami are guarded until one proves oneself worthy. This, of course, is what I must do.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 40
29 December 2011 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Just a reminder: if you have any question about Northern Saami, feel free to ask via PM, or a post in your log or on the team's log even when no one else is using Gulahalan. After browsing Gulahalan 1, much of the content is familiar to me already because of what I've learned so far in Davvin and I can always consult the reference section of that course if the explanation or example in Gulahalan doesn't make sense to any of us.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 4720 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 

Message 4 of 40
30 December 2011 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
Thank you! It looks like you are preparing a course? I hope to join in!

Having started Gulahalan, I should finish it before switching to something else that would be more complete. You have done excellently and I have printed out all of your learning notes regarding North Saami or Inari Saami.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 5 of 40
30 December 2011 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Hi Kafea

Welcome to the team by the way.

I was wondering if you could write a bit more about your reasons for having such a long
term goal with Northern Saami? It's very interesting that you're so motivated to learn
it that you're prepared to learn another language just to be able to use more Saami
resources.

Thanks in advance!

Kafea
Groupie
United States
Joined 4720 days ago

78 posts - 98 votes 

Message 6 of 40
30 December 2011 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Thanks!
I want to be able to communicate with friends and family in the Saami community. Family here did not pass the language on. Saami language was discouraged until the 1980's, and now several Saami language/dialects are gone. Even now it is hard to find materials, and many speakers are elderly. If we do not preserve our language it will die. As a Saami, I must insist on having Saami language in the home for my children.

I want to learn North Saami language because I cannot find enough in South Saami to begin. Once I have Davvisámigiella I can add South Saami to my repertoire.

Hribecek, Swedish is another heritage language for me. Many family members speak Swedish and I'm missing out on their conversations.
TAC is for year-long, long-term learning. I'm in!

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5137 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 7 of 40
01 January 2012 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
I envy you having such a rich language heritage. It must give you great motivation. I'm
always hoping I might discover that my ancestors were from somewhere other than England
so that I can experience that kind of feeling towards a language.

Do you still practise any typical Saami traditions? Is it possible to describe what a
typical Saami person's attitude to life, the world, history etc. is? It's fantastic to
have the chance to find something out about that culture from you.

Graeme13
Canada
Joined 4987 days ago

7 posts - 8 votes
Studies: French, Russian

Message 8 of 40
01 January 2012 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
Good Luck! I am studying Swedish this year as well. Perhaps we could exchange tips or tricks at some point if one is
stuck on a certain grammar point?

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version