Diglot
Canada
Joined 4514 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 20
31 December 2011 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
I'm really looking forward to next year with high expectations, with such an energetic
team as い! I've read some of my teammates log with attention and more logs will be
read tomorrow.

Even though I am new as a member, I am not as a visitor, my first visit dating back to
the summer of 2010. Since then, I was amazed by the passion shared by so many of the
members and couldn't wait to hop in. I've really looked into which language I thought
would bring me the most pleasure for this challenge and the years to come and japanese
always came first. There is something intriguing about the japanese culture, something
beautiful about the language and it's people that makes it a first choice language.

I am aware of the difficulties ahead, but I am willing to make the necessary sacrifices
in order to one day feel comfortable with the language. With a commute to college of
more than two hours a day, I feel like this time could be better spent by actually
doing something fun such as learning japanese. All in all, I expect to spend around 16-
18 hours a week on this endeavour. There is no illusion however, with a knowledge of
kanas and kanjis approching nada, I don't expect anything huge for the end of the year,
nor do I want to declare this challenge as a success or failure based on futility such
as vocabulary or kanji count. I strongly believe that if one can work his way through a
year of studying, then no matter what where the accomplishments or failures, one should
be proud of himself.

But then again, there is nothing wrong with setting some high objectives in order to
push myself to the limit. In this spirit, I am planning to get through Heisig's RTK
Volume 1 and 3, Pimsleur complete course (I was delighted to find that my local library
actually had it) and Assimil before the end of June. For the last six months, I still
haven't really figured out my objectives, but they will probably be a mix of some sort
of listening and reading comprehension. Again, I don't expect to read philosophical
texts but at least to be able to read simple texts and understand most of what is
written, hopefully being able to pick up vocabulary by context and with my dictionnary.

It is getting late 'round here but I just wish everyone reading this to enjoy their
respective journey and hoping that this log may inspire someone next year to take part
in the TAC, be it with japanese or any other language!

Edited by ErwinHiggs on 31 December 2011 at 9:03am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6421 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 2 of 20
31 December 2011 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the team!

I'm a big fan og RTK myself. If you want to use RTK, I recommend this site for reviewing. It also lets you share stories which can be very helpful. If you are doing it in French, you can change the keywords manually by clicking on the word and writing in the keyword you want. I think there might be a way to import all the keywords at once for common languages like French and Spanish, but you'd have to check their forum because I don't know how to do it.

How do you commute? I used to do a lot of commuting by train and that was great for all kinds of study, but if you drive yourself, you are pretty much stuck with just listening materials. Pimsleur sounds like a good choice in that case. I've never tried those courses, but there are many here who sing their praises.

If you don't know the kana yet, I would definitely start with that. At least hiragana. Also, if you want to use a textbook in addition to Pimsleur, you should get one that uses kana right from the beginning. It will better prepare you for reading. They usually start with everything written in kana and with romaji underneath and then take away the romaji after a few chapters. And then they slowly introduce the Kanji.

I think this will be a great year and hopefully we can all help each other toward our goals. Some of us have studied Japanese for some years, so we can probably give a bit of advice about how to do it (or at least how not to do it).

1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5783 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 3 of 20
31 December 2011 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
ErwinHiggs, welcome to the team. I look forward to following your log. With 16-18 hours work a week, you will not fail to make progress this year.

ErwinHiggs
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4514 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes

Message 4 of 20
01 January 2012 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the tips Brun! I'm sure this website will be quite helpful (No offence to
Heisig, but some of his stories aren't very helpful)
Indeed, I was planning on using as less romaji as possible, as I consider it will
probably be more confusing as time goes by.
As for my commute, it is by bus from a suburban area. This gives me one hour before and
after college to review the kanji on Anki (a costly app on the app store, but worth it)
and listen to a lesson of Pimsleur on my iPod.

Anyhow, Happy New Year to all!

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5886 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 20
01 January 2012 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
I really like the optimism in your first post -- perfect for 2012! 明けましておめでとう (Happiness for the New Year!)

fortheo
United States
Joined 4837 days ago

187 posts - 222 votes 
Studies: French

Message 6 of 20
02 January 2012 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
good luck, Japanese is a very difficult language but it is also very fun!!!

sundance
United States
Joined 4515 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 7 of 20
02 January 2012 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Even though I'm not a part of Team い, I'll be following your log. It seems like we're both in a similar place with Japanese. Good luck!

ErwinHiggs
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4514 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes

Message 8 of 20
03 January 2012 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
Thank you all and best wishes for 2012! I'll sure look for your log then sundance, we
will probably be able to learn from one another.

For my first and a half day of this new year, I've studied RTK for about 5 hours,
taking the time to adapt myself to the technique, and managed to reach the 100 kanji
mark. I think that I'll be able to manage a pace of 150-200 kanjis / week, but yet
again, I don't expect anything more or less.

Moreover, I bought the iPod app of Anki, a 25$ that I believe will be well worth it,
considering the 2 hours gap I have to fill every week day going to college. You can
export your own desktop decks and there is also the option to import sound files which
is perfect for later on. I'm starting at 30 new cards a day, but I'll adust the pace in
the following weeks if I consider it too slow or too fast.

In the following days, I will continue to learn the kanji and hopefully try to
gradually learn the hiragana and katakana. Tae Kim's grammar seems a good way to start
considering there is a sound file for each character. I would prefer to make Anki cards
without any kind of romaji, as it can be detrimental later on (even though the vowel
have a similar sound when you compare french-japanese).

Anyway, it's only 8pm here. Time to learn more kanji!

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version