Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4544 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 17 of 69
06 January 2012 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
He may be fluent, but his Portuguese is still at A2 when it comes to vocabulary.
Even his pronunciation is not that great (the pronunciation of open and close vowels is tricky for foreigners: gelo ''gêlo'' closed e; neve ''néve'' open e; a focused, dedicated study of lexicon is recommendable for the authentic accent). Needless to say, his intonation is way off, he speaks Portuguese as if it were an automatic reading voice (a robot). He may be more successful with Mandarin though. Let's wish him good luck!

Edited by Camundonguinho on 06 January 2012 at 1:12am

4 persons have voted this message useful

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4665 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 18 of 69
06 January 2012 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
I like Benny's full-bore approach to learning a language. I think he's nuts, but I can't help but respect what he's
doing. He's aiming high, doesn't seem to be discouraged by falling short, and proving naysayers wrong. He's doing
life as he sees fit, no small accomplishment.

I want to see how he does with this. I want him to succeed. I've learned less from his language ability than from his
mission-style approach. I've put it to good use for myself. As for his disdain for classes, I've got a suspicion it's part
of his image. No classes. Lateral thinking. Real-world results.
6 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4510 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 19 of 69
06 January 2012 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Camundonguinho wrote:
He may be fluent, but his Portuguese is still at A2 when it comes to vocabulary.

I don't agree with you. I've watched many of his videos in Portuguese and though his intonation is indeed kind of robotic, his vocabulary seems great to me. B2 at least.

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 06 January 2012 at 3:17am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tmp011007
Diglot
Congo
Joined 5864 days ago

199 posts - 346 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 20 of 69
06 January 2012 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
I don't want to be rude with all his fanbase but I guess the only way he could be able to do so is using the "FLR Technique" :P (I'm not saying FLR is a bad technique/method/etc.. actually I'd like to buy the mandarin's version cause I think that that own-phrasebook style could be useful somehow.. anyway...)

on the other hand, I did read Benny's book and well, it wasn't that good (there was no method per se but "motivation" -and dodging bullets)

p.s. and yeah his conversational C1 definition is kinda [S]weird[/S] A2-B1 to me (mandarin chinese B1 in 3 months?.. yeah, right)

Edited by tmp011007 on 06 January 2012 at 10:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 21 of 69
06 January 2012 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:

p.s. and yeah his conversational C1 definition is kinda [S]weird[/S] A2-B1 to me (mandarin chinese B1 in 3 months?.. yeah, right)

For comparison, the Italian university program I went through required me to pass a level C1 or higher. I think the bare minimum for any (non-English) EU university entrance is B2 or higher.

R.
==

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5642 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 22 of 69
06 January 2012 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
tmp011007 wrote:

For comparison, the Italian university program I went through required me to pass a level C1 or higher. I think the bare minimum for any (non-English) EU university entrance is B2 or higher.

R.
==

For example for a university study in the Netherlands you need a C1-level certificate of Dutch or an equivalent document to get admission to the university of your choice.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 06 January 2012 at 8:13pm

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5524 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 23 of 69
06 January 2012 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Steve Kaufman made a response yesterday to Benny. They seem to be on less than friendly terms. I like both of them, but they seem to let their egos get in the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoc9wxSg5KM

Benny has his work cut out for him. There sure are plenty of skeptics that he'll have to prove wrong.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6578 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 24 of 69
06 January 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Michael K. wrote:
Steve Kaufman made a response yesterday to Benny. They seem to be on
less than friendly terms. I like both of them, but they seem to let their egos get in the
way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yoc9wxSg5KM

Benny has his work cut out for him. There sure are plenty of skeptics that he'll have to
prove wrong.

I've seen a lot of Steve's videos, including some not about language at all where he's
talking about how much he likes the idea that people can discuss a topic and exchange
opinions without having to reach a consensus. I think he just likes to disagree with
someone and have a debate from time to time. Benny seems to be sick of it though.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version