Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 57 of 69
08 January 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
tmp011007 wrote:
Volte wrote:
Cainntear, can you lay off it already? Please?

sorry but this time Cainntear isn't the only one who thinks that way ("instead of changing that level definition to fit your own goal...")..

but it's ok. after all, that "I'm not claiming anything. I'm aiming" is fair enough. so, let's see what happens after that "do you speak English?"

"will he become fluent after three months? if at all, only by his own standards. so what?"

I don't expect Benny will hit C1, and I'm certainly not calling for people to stop saying so. I agree with some criticisms of Benny; I have no grounds to agree with most, as I mainly tune both him and the criticisms of him out.

I'm specifically asking Cainntear to lay off, because I find how he implicitly wants to change Benny and his goals to be particularly obnoxious. I see no potential value to Benny or the forum in it, it's tedious to read, and it's annoying Benny.

Benny makes progress over 3 months. Does it inspire some people? Sure. Do his overblown claims annoy others? Sure. Is there any reason to give him condescending rants filled with bad analogies? Dunno, I haven't found one.

14 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5145 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 58 of 69
08 January 2012 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
Personally I'd like to see Benny come back and continue to post here and it's so annoying to read all the negativity against him.

Can't the negativity wait until after the mission? For now I want him to be able to use all of his energy and enthusiasm for his very interesting mission and not have it sapped by all the negativity here.
7 persons have voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6346 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 59 of 69
08 January 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:
Don't believe me, I don't care! Honestly, what a cynic you are... like I've secretly learned Chinese when you weren't looking,
in an evil plan to fool the world - conspiracy theory much?
I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. But surely he sees that being able to
reach C1 in 3 months would be one of the most impressive language learning feats ever. There is a lot to gain from it, so the few words he gave
regarding what he knew before are appreciated.

irishpolyglot wrote:
I've already said I'll interview a native on camera
I’m asking him to be interviewed by a neutral party. No rehearsals,
no editing. This is very different from what he is planning suggested. And I’m not insisting on choosing the speaker myself. Maybe having one of
his Chinese followers provide a friend who has some experience with interviewing, but has never met him.

irishpolyglot wrote:
a video with the sole purpose of proving my level will be BORING.

Why on earth would that be boring? It’s what he’ll use to truly assess the level he achieved in his 3 month experiment. I would find it very
interesting.

irishpolyglot wrote:
- I spent one weekend on my Thai pronunciation…and never ever claimed it was "good".

Since it sounds like he’s admitting his pronunciation was terrible, I’m not going to dig up the posts where he claimed to be well understood, and
gave himself a high overall rating in Thai.

irishpolyglot wrote:
Snide remarks like "I have other suggestions, but they are secret because I plan to write a blog about it and sell an audio
book for profit." are just immature and ignorant. This is not an adult simply disagreeing with me.

It happens to be the truth. I have some techniques that will blow away the language learning community. But I’m going to pilot and document
them myself, and make a profit from them.

irishpolyglot wrote:
But thanks for the tips otherwise. If it wasn't sandwiched between such venomous cynicism your tips would have been fully
welcomed as actually contributing to the discussion.

You’re welcome. But I’ll say it again, because I doubt you will pay attention. If you don’t make a really hard effort on pronunciation, much much
harder than you did with Thai, you will get nowhere. No C1. No B2. No B1. No A2. That’s how important it is, and that's why I think you'll fail.

8 persons have voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5807 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 60 of 69
08 January 2012 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
I'm specifically asking Cainntear to lay off, because I find how he implicitly wants to change Benny and his goals to be particularly obnoxious. I see no potential value to Benny or the forum in it, it's tedious to read, and it's annoying Benny.

I'm well aware I'm not going to change Benny. As I said before:
Cainntear wrote:
It's not about Benny, it's about other people. Benny's heard it all before, and he didn't listen then and he won't listen now. But there will be people reading here who haven't heard it before, and so we repeat it for their benefit.

I don't want to change Benny's goals, but I find Benny's writing to be very dangerous.

Volte wrote:
]Does it inspire some people? Sure. Do his overblown claims annoy others? Sure. Is there any reason to give him condescending rants filled with bad analogies? Dunno, I haven't found one.

It's all well and good that Benny inspires people, but unfortunately in doing so, he projects an unrealistic and incomplete picture of the language learning process. He talks about a couple of variables and promotes them as though they are the core of all language learning.

The effect this has on his readers is evident from their comments on his blog, but Benny continually denies it.

As for bad analogies, OK, let's drop the analogy, and go for a simple, universal truth, accepted in almost every sphere:
Just because you can do something well, doesn't mean you can teach it.

Benny is a great language learner -- very, very few can match what he does -- but that doesn't automatically mean that he can teach anyone else to learn languages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4926 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 61 of 69
08 January 2012 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Personally I'd like to see Benny come back and continue to post here...
... For now I want him to be able to use all of his energy and enthusiasm for his very interesting mission and not have it sapped by all the negativity here.

Seems mutually exclusive.

I've only been a member of this forum for a year and change, but I don't think I've ever seen Benny really participate in HTLAL, other than to either defend himself or to announce something about his mission. I've never seen him participate in any other kind of discussion since I've become a member.

I wonder if that contributes at all to some of the negativity he gets around here.

R.
==
5 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4511 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 62 of 69
08 January 2012 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Benny is a great language learner -- very, very few can match what he does -- but that doesn't automatically mean that he can teach anyone else to learn languages.

It also doesn't mean he can't. ;)

Stop being so negative, people! It doesn't help you, him and specially the other forum members that are reading this stupid discussion.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5465 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 63 of 69
08 January 2012 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
[QUOTE=Cainntear]
Stop being so negative, people! It doesn't help you, him and specially the other forum members that are reading this stupid discussion.

Negativity is a slippery concept.

In the following exchange, who is being negative?

A: I am going to learn Mandarin in two years to a B2 level.

B: There is no way it takes two years. I can reach C1 in Mandarin 3 months.

A: I don't believe you. There are no examples of people achieving that, but there are plenty of people who worked hard over two years and did reach B2.

B: Don't be so negative.

To me, B is the negative person here: downplaying the fact that Mandarin is an extremely different language, and being negative towards people who say it takes years of effort to achieve great results.

It is important that we do not confuse wishful thinking with being positive. After all, I am quite positive that C1 in 3 months is wishful thinking.
10 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4511 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 64 of 69
08 January 2012 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
@Splog I wouldn't say you're wrong, but my point is... why keep up with all these "No one can do it", "Your C1 is less than mine", etc, while we could be supportive, ask him about his methods and wish him "good luck"?

I even said here that I doubt he is going to achieve C1 in just 3 months, but while he's doing it, focusing so much on this project, I'll always be supportive!

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version