Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5144 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 62
10 January 2012 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Wow, that is some serious work right there. I'm impressed!
1 person has voted this message useful

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4522 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English

Message 10 of 62
10 January 2012 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Did I mention that this is the third time I have to search the word церковь (church) in the dictionary? Some
words just are slippery :)

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4522 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 

Message 11 of 62
11 January 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
It seems to me that we could be experiencing the Mafalda Syndrome. I explain:
Mafalda is a very popular Argentinian comic strip character, created by Argentinian cartoonist Quino. She is a very clever girl who lives in Buenos Aires with her family. Her history is set in the mid 1960s.
At a very early age she is interested in world events, politics, antiwar demonstrations, Vietnam war, etc.
When she is 4, she says that she has already begun to learn reading in school, but so far she is only able to read "mi mamá me mima" (my mother loves me) "Memo asea su moño" (Willie washes his tie) and simple statements like that. But she is impatient to know what are the news about Kennedy, The Cuban missile crisis, Krushev, Israel!
So she handles a newspaper and have a glimpse on it, only to find out for certain that Kennedy's mom does not love him, and that Castro does not wash his tie! :)

So, I'd advice patience and persistent hard work with Russian and other languages (specially with Russian, which apparently is a bone harder to bite than expected), so after about 500 hours of study we should be able to understand far more than кто это? это книга.
2 persons have voted this message useful

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4522 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 

Message 12 of 62
11 January 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Besides, from my experience with English, I think that language learning is not a linear accumulative phenomenon, but that at some point you reach a threshold and more or less suddenly you are able to write, read, speak and listen to (and apparently even dreaming on) the language you are learning. It depends also on the exposition you have at that language (which is no longer a problem since we have the internet) and how often you can practice your skills.

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4522 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 

Message 13 of 62
11 January 2012 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
But is also certain that you don't need to wait until you have advanced skills to begin practice: as a toddler, you can begin your walking attempts even if you stumble and wobble.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6430 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 14 of 62
11 January 2012 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
drsarvo wrote:
Besides, from my experience with English, I think that language learning is not a linear accumulative phenomenon, but that at some point you reach a threshold and more or less suddenly you are able to write, read, speak and listen to (and apparently even dreaming on) the language you are learning. It depends also on the exposition you have at that language (which is no longer a problem since we have the internet) and how often you can practice your skills.

I agree. I often go weeks and months feeling like I'm making no progress whatsoever. Then suddenly something clicks and I can understand all sorts of things. It seems magical, like it happened all by itself over night, but of course it is because of all that hard work. I've noticed the same phenomenon with exercising. I can exercise for a long time without noticing any changes, then suddenly, I have muscles.

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4522 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 

Message 15 of 62
11 January 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Heré's an open question: how do you people think Russian has changed in the last 20 years, since the fall of the Soviet Union?

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4866 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 16 of 62
11 January 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Many words came into the language, but the grammar and phonology remained the same.
Книга не кто, а что.

Edited by Марк on 11 January 2012 at 10:01pm

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version