Joined 4524 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 62
12 January 2012 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
@Марк: Вы правы. Что это? Это книга.
I have a lot to learn yet :)
Would you care to elaborate a little bit more about changes in life and language, after the fall of the Soviet Union? I remember that very little information arrived from the USSR to Mexico. I was 20 years old in 1991.
1 person has voted this message useful

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4524 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 

Message 18 of 62
18 January 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
Logbook update:
I keep reading my Russian history book, reading is a little bit more fluent by now.
I ended two CDs of the Assimil course, and reached lesson 37. Now it starts the active way of learning, but it is not different from what I have been doing so far.
I learn an interesting verb: договориться.

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4524 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 

Message 19 of 62
18 January 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Good news! Хорошие новости! I read chapter 7 of my Russian book in one shot, dictionary not needed. I could manage to infer new words from context.
Of course it's a very brief chapter (two pages) but this something like this seemed quite difficult to achieve six weeks ago. :)

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4609 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 20 of 62
27 January 2012 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
Welcome aboard, drsarvo! Your passion really shines through, and is a great source of
motivation. No worries about your lack of consistency, we're all in the same boat, and
we're all here to cheer each other on. I agree with you on language learning milestones.
You just start to do everything all at once. I'm constantly noticing it with my Japanese,
albeit in tiny bites, and I hope I do get to that level in Russian too.

Best of luck! I hope TAC 2012 will be THE year for all of us!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5146 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 21 of 62
28 January 2012 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Well done! Russian is difficult, so any progress is good.

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4524 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 

Message 22 of 62
01 February 2012 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Update January 31:
Yesterday was my daughter's birthday, the little princess's got 9 years old. Of course she is daddy's crown jewel.
As for Russian, internet has proved to be a gold mine of language learning resources, it gives enough material for a lifetime.
IPhone app for Russian TV: RusTV Pro, several channels, quite fun. Another app: Russian cartoons (мультики), there is a cartoon about a boy named Pyotr and Little Red Riding Hood (1958).
TunIn: app that allows you to listen to Russian radio broadcasts.
I have been reading about Krokodyl, a Soviet era magazine, some of the finest Russian and Soviet cartoonists worked there.
Chapter 9 of Russian history book: How Genghis Kahn conquered Russia on the XIII century. Some exercises about something that I believe is the passive voice. A lot of vocabulary, but I managed to read it in a reasonable time.
Chapter 40 of Assimil: very interesting examples and explanation of how the Russians use the instrumental case, very subtle nuances, how some sentences change their meaning... Russian is proving to be very subtle and elegant language, a lot of surprises yet to be discovered, it will be a lifetime for studying it.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4868 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 23 of 62
01 February 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
How Genghis Kahn conquered Russia on the XIII century
He didn't. He died in 1227, wile Mongols invaded Russia ten years later.

drsarvo
Diglot
Mexico
Joined 4524 days ago

143 posts - 149 votes 

Message 24 of 62
01 February 2012 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
How Genghis Kahn conquered Russia on the XIII century
He didn't. He died in 1227, wile Mongols invaded Russia ten years later.

Thanks for the reply. However the authors of the book I am reading, declare in the prologue that they did not intend to write a scientific textbook on Russian history, just some texts that could give students a tool in order to begin studying both Russian language and Russian history. So a little historical inaccuracy has to be expected from my comments about that book. My apologies in advance.
Supposedly the first battle between Mongols and Russians occured in 1223 (Battle of Kalka River), so Genghis Kahn was still alive. It is not clear if he attended the slaughter :)
Are you a Russian native speaker? Have you considered to join the Sputnik TAC 2012 Russian team? It would be a very valuable asset, no matter you are not studying Russian for obvious reasons.
Thanks for reading this log.

This discussion contains 62 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version