34 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
jiajia
China
Joined 4668 days ago

17 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 9 of 34
26 January 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
From a non- American perspective, I would think Brazilian Portuguese could be equally important as Spanish, because there wouldn't be a lot of Hispanic communities settling in China or in Asia. Neither Br Portuguese nor Spanish is compulsory at school or at university in China, there are few Hispanic companies which may offer good positions and a high salary, though the career prospects of simultaneous interpreters don't look bad for the moment. Actually it isn't hard to judge which might be relatively more useful, since choosing the right language depends on which region (for example Mexico/Argentina or Brazil) you're more interested in, whether it's of some help to you while working, as well as where you're going to live, for the most part, Mexico and Argentina, where were considered two promising developing countries and where can roughly represent the whole Spanish-speaking world, haven't really kept up with the developmental power of Brazil. Also, in Europe, Spain's economic performance hasn't even matched that of Italy, and at most Spain would be tied with Italy in some respects (not only economic facts). Apart from the usefulness, I personally find Portuguese (Br) a bit more pleasant to hear than Spanish (no offence), because BP sounds softer, slower and nasal as a whole. And besides, I can hardly pronounce rolling r/rr (in Spanish) exactly, maybe it's another reason why I'd recommend choosing Br Portuguese.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Acut
Tetraglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 4510 days ago

53 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish, French

Message 10 of 34
26 January 2012 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
Mad Max wrote:
The business language between a Brazilian and a French can be Spanish

I highly doubt that. But I would still agree with you that Spanish tends to me more useful;
1 person has voted this message useful

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6362 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 34
26 January 2012 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Acut wrote:
Mad Max wrote:
The business language between a Brazilian and a French can be Spanish

I highly doubt that. But I would still agree with you that Spanish tends to me more useful;

Well, that is exactly true, in my case.

When I work in Brazil I use mostly Spanish as do the French on my team. English is reserved for Senior Management, Spanish works well with the Sales/Marketing team discussions.

-- As my father used to say about working in Brazil "we know you guys all speak secretly Spanish when we are not around." It meant that the Brazilians, in a business context, often have a generally good sense of Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jean-luc
France
Joined 4770 days ago

100 posts - 150 votes 
Speaks: French*
Studies: German

Message 12 of 34
26 January 2012 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Serpent: you will get nowhere by looking for general usefulness. It's either obvious (for example English vs occitan) or irrelevant. What is important is what is the most useful according to *your need*. It could be important for your work or for your hobby, or for you own enjoyment, but knowing that a language could be potentially useful in a more or less distant future is not going to help you. If you like the culture of a language, or if you're going to need to speak it for your job, it will help you to keep the motivation.

petteri
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4742 days ago

117 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 13 of 34
26 January 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
If learner uses 1000 hours or more to learn Spanish to the level (C1+) where the language is useful in serious business, it is minor task to use maybe 300 hours to learn also Portuguese to good level. Or vice versa.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Carisma
Diglot
Argentina
Joined 5432 days ago

104 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 14 of 34
26 January 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
Well the most obvious answer would be to study Spanish, given as it would allow you to
visit far more countries and there are so many immigrants from Latin American countries
in the States. Maybe it's a lot more required than Portuguese when you want to find a
job.
However, Brazil is a really powerful force. This country was recently proved to be more
wealthy than the United Kingdom. And the language would not only do wonders for your
resumé (given as it is more unique than Spanish) and allow you to get some exciting
laboral and travel opportunities, but also give you the key to relaxed, fun and happy
culture.
My opinion is that you choose not thinking about economical or travel benefits, but
bearing in mind which language do you like best and what culture you would like the
most to get to know better.

Edited by Carisma on 26 January 2012 at 5:36pm

KimG
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 4787 days ago

88 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Portuguese, Swahili

Message 15 of 34
26 January 2012 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Well, I can be one of the few, if not the only one so far I have noticed here on this forum, who's studied Portuguese without any other Romance language first. I did it since I simply got attracted to it since I started training Capoeira, and, unlike almost every other MA I've seen so far, there is more stronger connection to the "home country", and way more people who speak it, compared to TKD or Karate, where I've not seen many, if any, who learned their sport's "language".
I for long wanted to learn some foregin language, and just followed my heart when encountering Capoeira, and saw an oppurtunity for practicing an foregin language often.¨
Why travel to foregin lands, when you sometime see native Brazilians every 2. or 3. months as visiting trainers, and sometime, I've encountered native speakers every week. :D

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 34
26 January 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
KimG wrote:
Well, I can be one of the few, if not the only one so far I have noticed here on this forum, who's studied Portuguese without any other Romance language first. I did it since I simply got attracted to it since I started training Capoeira, and, unlike almost every other MA I've seen so far, there is more stronger connection to the "home country", and way more people who speak it, compared to TKD or Karate, where I've not seen many, if any, who learned their sport's "language".
I for long wanted to learn some foregin language, and just followed my heart when encountering Capoeira, and saw an oppurtunity for practicing an foregin language often.¨
Why travel to foregin lands, when you sometime see native Brazilians every 2. or 3. months as visiting trainers, and sometime, I've encountered native speakers every week. :D
Portuguese was my first Romance language too. Well, Latin and Esperanto came first but they technically don't count - and I don't feel like they count.

As for MA, perhaps that's because Portuguese is much easier, at least for native speakers of Western languages? When I did taekwondo I learned to count in Korean but nothing else.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version