Brazil
Joined 4559 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 33 of 34
05 February 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
KimG wrote:

I've noticed quite many Brazilians seems unable to speak English. Are there anything with English making it hard to learn, or is the schools just wery bad at teaching?

3 reasons:
1. English, being a consonantal language, is very difficult to pronounce, Brazilian Portuguese is vocalic, a syllable can only end in a vowel or an S or an R, consonantal groups are not tolerated, so we pronounce RITMO as HEETCHEEMOO (respelling in English).
Continental Portuguese is consonantal, so it's easy for them to pronounce English, but it's extremely difficult for us.
2. We have no contact with English, only on per per view TV's sitcoms and movies are shown in English, otherwise everything is dubbed on TV
3. music in English competes with music in our language, so many hits were (made) popular only after they had been resung in our language. Even with no ''compulsory'' law as in France, I'd say on our radios, the ratio is like 60-65% in Portuguese; 35-40% in English. Our Brazilian music is really liked here.

But, it's not all bad, in Portuguese we have the S - Z contrast, so we can easily pronounce LOSE with /z/ and LOOSE with /s/.

Norwegian, Swedish, Icelandic, Finish and Danish people pronounce all /z/ sounds as /s/, this is not only considered ''bad accent'' but can also change the meaning of words, like in the case of LOSE ~ LOOSE ;)

;)

Edited by Camundonguinho on 05 February 2012 at 1:07pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

FireViN
Diglot
Brazil
missaoitaliano.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5039 days ago

196 posts - 292 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 34 of 34
06 February 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged 
KimG wrote:

I've noticed quite many Brazilians seems unable to speak English. Are there anything with English making it hard to learn, or is the schools just wery bad at teaching?

It's basically what Camundonguinho said, but I think we do have some contact with English, specially teenagers. Pop songs in English are VERY popular here.

About the pronounciation, it is quite hard. My main problem is the 'th', and even though I'm able to pronouce this sound, I have to make some councious effort, which doesn't help when I'm speaking fast. Plus, brazilians have a very distinct accent when speaking English.

Anyway, the schools are very bad at teaching English, public AND private. The great majority of them will simply teach "The book is on the table" and the "to be" verb. If one wants to learn English, he/she might have to pay for courses and spend 8 years in it, only to be claimed as 'advanced'. Well, self-study is the best choice (:
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version