1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 169 of 175
18 December 2013 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Onsdag, 18 december 2013

END OF THE YEAR EVALUATION OF THE TAC 2013

This was my first TAC - year as a member of the Scandinavian Team Viking. One of the Viking members, AlOlaf, is a Skypie my German/English Skype-group, so at least this member I could inspire directly in many conversations inclusive talks about the study experiences of our Scandinavian languages.

As planned I continued with my Danish course at Volkshochschule Düsseldorf. It's always at the edge of what I can finance, even if I get 50 % price reduction. In the course there are long-term speakers of Danish, who have visited Denmark several times. I always try to speak with the teacher before and after the lesson as well. But it's of course not enough speaking practise. I would need regular Skype sessions in Danish. Last Saturday I had a 30 minutes Skype talk in Danish and my Skypie said that my spoken Danish has got better in the last 3 years. So far this is not a regular contact.

What has significantly improved is my reading ability of Danish! I understand the texts of our novel fluently without having to look up to many words. There are still 100 pages left in this book, but it will be the first Danish novel I have read from the beginning until the end! This reading improvement is the result of my regular hard work of looking up the vocabulary. I haven't even crammed these words, but many of them have sticked in my memory.

My "dive into Norwegian Bokmâl" was completely unplanned! A member of my German-Scandinavian club told me that he was going to participate in a crash course of Norwegian and I spontanously decided to join him. And I found it an "easy game" for example compared with my former studies of Turkish, so after the crash course I had the wish to self-study Norwegian. And I started thes Norwegian studies in July 2013.

Meanwhile I have regular e-mail correspondance and Skype sessions with a Norwegian biologist. As an exchange I offer him my German and maybe in the future also my Dutch. I got in contact with him via the LingQ - website. I don't write so much about my Norwegian studies here in this log, but I am now as much involved with Norwegian as I am with Danish. And during my commuting to Düsseldorf I regularly listen to my Norwegian audios with my MP3-player.

So language-wise, 2013 has been a very interesting year for me!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 December 2013 at 11:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 170 of 175
18 December 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Very inspiring! I haven't yet read the Danish novel I intended to read (not the Norwegian either), so for me as a Swede who already understands a great deal, I'm happy to see that you have managed to reach this level.

Good job!

aspie.sharaf
Tetraglot
Denmark
Joined 4163 days ago

21 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Danish*, English, Serbo-Croatian, Dutch
Studies: Persian, German, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Thai, Polish, Bulgarian, Pashto, Urdu, French

Message 171 of 175
18 December 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Jeg synes det er flot, så dygtig du er til dansk. Jeg finder det i øvrigt også meget interessant at du studerer tyrkisk. Jeg har undervist i tyrkisk her i Danmark i 2½ år. Det er et ufatteligt krævende sprog at lære. Jeg har endnu ikke nået 'basic fluency' i tyrkisk, men stræber efter det. Jeg regner med at 'Assimil le Turc', når jeg engang har færdiggjort den, vil bringe mig tættere på det mål.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5642 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 172 of 175
18 December 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
Onsdag, 18 december 2013

Tak, begge to, Jeff og Aspie! Jeres feedback er vigtig for mig! Ja der har du ret, Jeff: For en svensker er det lettere at læse dansk end for en tysker som mig. Heldigvis fokuserer mit danskkursus på en god læseværdighed.

Aspie, jeg studerede tyrkisk for 3 år, men jeg kom til et punkt, hvor jeg måtte vælge mellem tyrkisk og dansk. Så vælgte jeg dansk! Med tyrkisk havde jeg nogle frustrationer. Ikke med sproget selv, men fordi jeg havde ingen muligheder for at tale tyrkisk på min begynderlevel. For mig det er bedre at kombinere min studie dansk med min studie norsk. Når jeg lærer nye danske ord, er det også nyttig for min norsk og når jeg lærer nye norske ord er det også nyttig for min dansk. For Tyskland tyrkisk er en vigtig sprog, for eksempel i min by bor der 25.000 tyrkere (men de ville ikke pröve at snakke tyrkisk med en tyske begynder). :(

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 December 2013 at 8:24pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 173 of 175
18 December 2013 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
Hej Fasulye!

That was a good round up of the TAC and I’m happy you’ve had a successful 2013.
I really admire the consistency you’ve shown during the year and I wish I were more like you in that respect.

I’m looking forward to our next TAC together again in the Scandinavian team.

PS. If you’re interested in Danish audiobooks, it seems that until the end of December on the DR.dk website they are offering a couple of audiobooks to download for free.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5642 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 174 of 175
18 December 2013 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Hej Emme,

I have already integrated the link to my my TAC log into your team list, so you don't have to do this work.

Consistency was something what was missing, when I was very young. In 1986, when my law studies failed, I decided to work hard on my bad habits so that I could have more success with my learning projects. For example it's a "golden rule" for me to attend the lessons every week (if I am not sick) and to prepare them at home every week. I wish I would have done that with my law studies.

Thank you for the audiobooks, but I have to read about 8 pages per week for my Danish lessons plus my Norwegian correspondence and my Norwegian self-study, so my "learning plate" is full.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 18 December 2013 at 8:52pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 175 of 175
19 December 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Thanks!

Good that you’ve found a balance that works for you! I’m organized and quite methodic in most aspects of my daily life, but it seems that a hobby like language learning is my safety valve so I’ve left it to my “creative”* right-brain.

*better known as unsystematic and haphazard ;-)

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 175 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version