Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5137 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 51
09 February 2012 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
Team Sputnik have accepted three more members, mrwarper, mark and zekecoma. Since we are now 20 members, I think we will have to set the limit there, and encourage latecomers to join other teams or start a new team. We love being popular, but there is a limit to how many team mates we can follow, particularly since we are an uncommonly active team :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5029 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 51
09 February 2012 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Yes, I'll also remind you that I've been accepted in Team い (Japanese) and Team German too (which gives you an idea of current team standards =p ) and that I already have a log...

zenmonkey
Bilingual Tetraglot
Germany
Joined 6355 days ago

803 posts - 1119 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Spanish*, French, German
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew

Message 19 of 51
11 February 2012 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Added mrwarper, mark and zekecoma as well as mrwarper's other teams.
Some logs are still missing -- if i have time this weekend I'll report on the status of everyone.

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5152 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 20 of 51
14 March 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Why did this thread get unstickied?
3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4671 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 21 of 51
17 March 2012 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I'm also wondering why this thread doesn't have a sticky... I always end up having to search for it on the other TAC thread, that seems somewhat less useful now that the teams are all organised.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5685 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 22 of 51
17 March 2012 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
It seems that the moderators haven't agreed about stickying this thread, which is, from my point of view, very sad.

lifefueledbyair
United States
Joined 5126 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 23 of 51
04 June 2012 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
Is it too late to join the challenge?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5137 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 51
08 June 2012 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
As you all know, lots of people are enthusiastic about the TAC at the beginning of the year, but after a short while some drop out. They lose interest, don't have time, or life gets in the way. Since it is a bit strange to have a really large team, with just a few actives, it would perhaps be an idea if we all posted back here as to who is still on the teams, and give a little evaluation of how the teams are coming along and perhaps give the rest of us some good ideas of things you have done as a team which has worked for you, and any possible point for improvement? That might be valuable for how to plan the TAC next year, and it is nice to see who is till hanging inn there.

Last year we also opened up for the possibility to merge small teams, where most of the participants had disappeared. Perhaps an idea also for this year if some teams have become too small?

MEMBERS STILL INN - 10 out of 20

Cristina
Teango
Tarvos
Aloysious
Fabriziocarraro
Woodsei
Tecktight
drsarvo
ruskivyetr
mrwarper.

Losing half the team members in 5 months may seem dramatic, but the reason why we created such large teams in the first place was because statistics show that 75% do not make it, so I am not particularly worried.

HOW IS THE TEAM COMING ALONG AS A GROUP?

Well I must say that I am very happy with our activity level. The mere fact that our team thread is 60 pages long (!) right now, gives an indication of how much effort we put in. A year is a long time, and life can get in the way, but we have been there for eachother for better for worse, through sickness and health. In addition to linguistic advice we have been through hard times when people have been demotivated or depressed, and we have had a wedding, and a 50th birthday. And whether it is a good time or a bad time, we know that we are there for eachother.

We have been in regular contact with eachother through Skype, both individually and as a group, and we have contact through PMs and Twitter and of course our individual logs in addition to the common one.

Two of us have met up face to face(in Spain) and two of us are hoping to meet in Moscow or St. Petersburg in July.

SUCCESS CRITERIA

The main factor of success, I think has been the Skype sessions. It has given us a face for the people we are with, and we have been brought together as people and not just internet writers. We have perhaps had more laughter and chatting than actual language exchange :-), but we have had a little bit of Russian every time. Last time we even had a live Russian speaker from Ukraine, who listened to us reading, and claimed we all sounded like we had grown up in Russia, and we even had a little conversation in Russian. Personally I almost passed out at the idea of speaking Russian witht the whole group listenting, but we did manage.

What could easily be a challenge, the fact that we are all at different levels, has been solved by Tecktight, who is our muse, inspirator and technical genius when it comes to Skype. She is the one that came up with the idea of us reading dialogues, which would be less threatening than speaking freely.

I feel confident that now that we, with the help of Fabriziocarraro, have enlisted a Ukrainian to help us, we will slowly be moving more towards free conversation.

RESULTS
Now of course having a good time is all well and good, but the question is also: What are our results? Have we been able to motivate eachother, have we done more Russian studies than if we did not take part in the TAC, and have we made real progress?

Now that is a bit tricky to measure, also because the level of involvement differs widely. Some study Russian at the university, some have it as a hobby and some is only toying with it. We have however seen that both in the last 6Wc and this one we have 3-4 members between the 10 best (one admittedly with Japanese, but she s still a team member - so we take part of the credit :-), two of us have been to Russia during the spring and I have been to Ukraine and we have all seen considerable progress, and we currently have one team member in Moscow, hosting our Skype sessions from there. I will also be going to Russia in July.

I therefore think that for the remaining members of Team Sputnik the answer is yes on all three questions, even if there are considerable individual variations.

POINTS FOR IMPROVEMENT

Suggestions that have come up, but which we have not followed up on yet, are both following eachtother's logs more closely, and give more encouragements, and using the common thread for more actual Russian training and asking of linguistic questions. We are in a finishing stage of the currents 6Wc right now, so when we have cought our breath after that, this might be something we would explore further.

EVALUATION OF THE TAC SO FAR

The best idea of this year's TAC was to enlarge the teams, so that is definitely something I would keep for next year. The fact that we are still 10 in the game, and at least 6-7 who are very active, means that our TAC team is of real support. I am vbery happy with how things are going, and think it is great that I have people to ask when I need to.

I am afraid I have not been able to follow so many other TAC teams, but I am really looking forward to seeing how the reast of you are doing now that we are almost halwfay!

A big hug from Team Sputnik!!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 08 June 2012 at 1:01pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version