Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
51 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>
JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4255 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 41 of 51
02 December 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Maybe if no one steps up to organize TAC 2013 this week the responsibility should fall on
the previous year's winner(s). Since the 2012 winner(s) won't be chosen until later, I
guess that leaves the 2011 winner(s) in charge.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6959 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 42 of 51
02 December 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
For this TAC we made three substantial changes: We allowed for much larger teams, and for people to join
several teams and we had common team threads. I assume someone will soon start organising TAC 2013,
and
therefore I am curious as to how this has worked out, and whether this is something we should keep, and
whether basing the teams on languages is still the best idea.

I participated in the Russian team in both 2011 and 2012. In 2011 we were 6 people, but half way through
the year the activity was so low, that I merged with people from a couple of other teams. We were still just
two
people left standing at the end of the year.

In 2012 we started out with 20 participants, so even though we have lost quite a few, we are still enough left
that are active so that we can have discussions, and we have people that comment on our logs as well as the
occasional Skype session. A couple of us have even met up.

The only disadvantage of such large teams is that you get little time to visit the other logs, which is something
I have missed. Lots of good logs out there.

I would therefore support continuing with large teams in 2013.

Since I have only participated in one team myself, I have no experiences when it comes to being part of
several teams, so I am interested in knowing the experiences from others. Why did you chose that, did you
get the effect you wanted with it, were the "cultures" of the different teams challenging or were the levels of
activity, team sizes and methods similar?

As for keeping a common language as a common criterion, I have been particularly happy with that this year
where we have actually had some Skype sessions where we have talked a bit of Russian. I am sure we could
have achieved even more with this, but I am still happy we did it. I saw however that the second part of last
year when I was on a mixed language team, that worked out quite well too, so even if we as a general rule
should keep the language groups, I see no problem with some people having mixed groups. I believe we
have had that this year too? And what are the experiences of those with two focus languages - what has
been the advantages/disadvantages of that?

And I love the idea of the common team thread. It is the perfect tool to leave messages for the whole team to
read, and to discuss times for Skype sessions, and to give each other a gentle nudge when motivation was
low. Particularly on big teams it is practical to have a common place to discuss. I am sure we could have
made more out of that too - writing to each other in Russian, but some of us (blush..) are still a bit hesitant
about writing Russian in public, Nevertheless - a great tool.

So how about the rest of you - what are your experiences?

Team *jäŋe / *ledús is pretty much down to me and hřibeček since we post frequently enough (about every 3 weeks or fewer) while mick33 and Kisfröccs seem to post about once a month or so. The others have been much quieter or silent for a while on activities of special interest to the team.

As I mentioned earlier, the most positive aspect of the team for me has been that it has made me more interested helping other people (not just on my team) and passing on links. Having team logs as destinations for links is more effective for transmission than posting them in the Links & Resources sub-forum.

On the other hand, I do see the drawbacks for cohesiveness in teams that do not have a language in focus, as well as those that lack a fairly invovled leader such as Solfrid Cristin or Serpent. Sprachprofi also comes to mind, although she's often tied up with work or organizing the shorter seasonal challenges.

As for myself, I'm happy to wave the Uralic and Balto-Slavonic flags into next year, but hesitate about founding a team for it next year (or even continuing this one). In retrospect the only real activity motivated by being in the team was in the winter when hřibeček and Kafea completed a short primer in Northern Saami of my devising. Apart from that I've studied languages in ways that suit me and as time permits - no different from the time when I studied outside a team.

Judging by the membership profiles here, I'd be happy to join a team focused on one of the more popular target languages in my profile (Finnish, Polish and Hungarian seem to be the ones) even though my involvement this year as a member of Team Żubr has been fairly minor.

A lot can change in the next few weeks but for now I expect to continue working mainly on Finnish, Polish, and Ukrainian and so would be open to joining someone else's team that focuses on or at least encompasses any of those languages. Turkish is a distinct possibility as a new terget language and any team focused on that language would be of interest.

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4676 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 43 of 51
02 December 2012 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
I'll gladly join a Team う in 2013. :D

I've just got one question, what does the "annihilation" part of TAC actually mean?
I've never understood that...

Edited by stifa on 02 December 2012 at 9:58pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6400 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 51
03 December 2012 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
heeey mick33 did post more than once a month!!!
We could make it even more vague and have a Team North :) Welcoming anyone who's learning a Scandinavian, Slavic or Finno-Ugric language, or especially more than one of these:)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6959 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 45 of 51
03 December 2012 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
That's true but I did cover myself by saying that he posts roughly once a month or so (thus allowing for instances where he'd post twice over 4 or 5 weeks ;-))

A Boreal team could be interesting but from my vantage point it'd look like effectively extending Team *jäŋe / *ledús' coverage to the continuations of Old Norse (Team *jäŋe / *ledús / íss anyone?).

Anyway, there's still some time for teams to establish themselves. I will watch with great interest.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6423 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 46 of 51
03 December 2012 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
stifa wrote:
I'll gladly join a Team う in 2013. :D

I've just got one question, what does the "annihilation" part of TAC actually mean?
I've never understood that...

Welcome to Team う!

I'm not really sure what "annihilation" means here either. I think originally it was meant to be an intense focus on one or more languages, sort of like a year-long 6WC I guess. But my experience is that a lot of people drop out, change languages, or drift in and out, sometimes studying intensely and sometimes not. Anyway, like I said, I don't think I'll ever manage to annihilate a language. So I'll just stick to butchering them :)

Is anyone going to start a thread for TAC 2013? I can do it if no one else wants to, my only problem is that I'm not 100 % sure how much I'll be online around Christmas. I think I'll at least be able to go to the library once or twice though and use the internet there if I can't manage to get online otherwise. And knowing myself, I'll probably not spend the whole of Christmas and New Year's with my ex-husband anyway. We tend to drive each other a little crazy after a few days. So I may very well be home again before 01.01.13.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6400 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 47 of 51
04 December 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
I do think we need fairly large teams like North/South/East/West or something of this kind... (Hogwarts houses lol..just kidding!)

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6423 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 48 of 51
04 December 2012 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
I made a sign-up thread for 2013.

If any moderators are reading this, please make it sticky.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version