Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5137 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 33 of 51
01 December 2012 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
For this TAC we made three substantial changes: We allowed for much larger teams, and for people to join
several teams and we had common team threads. I assume someone will soon start organising TAC 2013,
and
therefore I am curious as to how this has worked out, and whether this is something we should keep, and
whether basing the teams on languages is still the best idea.

I participated in the Russian team in both 2011 and 2012. In 2011 we were 6 people, but half way through
the year the activity was so low, that I merged with people from a couple of other teams. We were still just
two
people left standing at the end of the year.

In 2012 we started out with 20 participants, so even though we have lost quite a few, we are still enough left
that are active so that we can have discussions, and we have people that comment on our logs as well as the
occasional Skype session. A couple of us have even met up.

The only disadvantage of such large teams is that you get little time to visit the other logs, which is something
I have missed. Lots of good logs out there.

I would therefore support continuing with large teams in 2013.

Since I have only participated in one team myself, I have no experiences when it comes to being part of
several teams, so I am interested in knowing the experiences from others. Why did you chose that, did you
get the effect you wanted with it, were the "cultures" of the different teams challenging or were the levels of
activity, team sizes and methods similar?

As for keeping a common language as a common criterion, I have been particularly happy with that this year
where we have actually had some Skype sessions where we have talked a bit of Russian. I am sure we could
have achieved even more with this, but I am still happy we did it. I saw however that the second part of last
year when I was on a mixed language team, that worked out quite well too, so even if we as a general rule
should keep the language groups, I see no problem with some people having mixed groups. I believe we
have had that this year too? And what are the experiences of those with two focus languages - what has
been the advantages/disadvantages of that?

And I love the idea of the common team thread. It is the perfect tool to leave messages for the whole team to
read, and to discuss times for Skype sessions, and to give each other a gentle nudge when motivation was
low. Particularly on big teams it is practical to have a common place to discuss. I am sure we could have
made more out of that too - writing to each other in Russian, but some of us (blush..) are still a bit hesitant
about writing Russian in public, Nevertheless - a great tool.

So how about the rest of you - what are your experiences?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 01 December 2012 at 12:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5785 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 34 of 51
01 December 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Team い seems to be down to a core of around four survivors now, but those who are left are still heading for a strong finish I think! My own experience of TAC 2012 is that it's my best yet.

I totally agree on large teams - it makes for a hectic start but there are so many casualties on the way, at least with a large team you have a chance of finishing the year with some teammates!

I like having a focus language for the team as it really helps with sharing recommendations of language specific resources. But perhaps that suits me because apart from occasional flirtations with other languages, for now I seem to remain largely focussed on just one. But I quite liked the way teams formed themselves last year as people declared interests and found teammates that way. I think there is space for more mixed teams to exist if people want to do that.
1 person has voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6250 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 35 of 51
01 December 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
TAC groups - organize them any way you like, not just by language (for some it may seem too much like a classroom - or the home for the elderly. I feel as if someone's constantly checking someone else's pulse). If you want the threads to remain active and easily joinable you should have one group per language.

Themes:

Animaniacs, movie buffs, lit freaks, grammarians, sport jocks, iversonians (or babylonians).

So you can participate in the German thread and the movie one.

Jump in and out of interest groups as your interests change but stick to your language of choice. Switch languages, but stick to your favorite movies. Keep it simple and fun.

This would allow team members from different groups to meet and mingle and drop in on their language of choice.

Anyway, I hope this place livens up a bit.
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4671 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 36 of 51
02 December 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
I would definitely like to be part of an Asian Team again. I think it's very helpful to have shared study languages. I'm also planning to study Persian and it would be awesome to have teammates for that, but I guess that might not happen.

The only think this year's TAC seemed to be lacking was the Total Annihilation aspect. Maybe it's just our team that was a little too laid-back for my taste. I think it might be possible to have less drop-outs (or rather less people who vanish without a word) if there's more accountability. I'm not sure if it's desirable or even possible to implement more accountability in the overall TAC organisation. It would maybe be good to have some successful TAC logs as examples in the TAC 2013 explanation, maybe with a commentary on how much people manage to improve in one year. As for the details, I guess it's best to leave that to each team.

I'm still mystified as to how the TAC organisation works... Who is going to organise the overall challenge? What if no one feels responsible? :D If I understood correctly, this year didn't really have an organiser. Ellasevia started the thread, but was actually looking for someone else to organise... How is the evaluation of TAC 2012 going to be done?

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6250 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 37 of 51
02 December 2012 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I would definitely like to be part of an Asian Team again. I think it's very helpful to have shared study languages. I'm also planning to study Persian and it would be awesome to have teammates for that, but I guess that might not happen.

The only think this year's TAC seemed to be lacking was the Total Annihilation aspect. Maybe it's just our team that was a little too laid-back for my taste.

It would maybe be good to have some successful TAC logs as examples in the TAC 2013 explanation, maybe with a commentary on how much people manage to improve in one year. As for the details, I guess it's best to leave that to each team.

sheetz log

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6400 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 38 of 51
02 December 2012 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
I think it would be good to somehow..account for the Super Challenge. I'd love to be in the team with other people who do it:) I'd also love to be in the team with all my current teammates, though. And a few other people like Julie, Marikki, Chung :)

One disappointing thing for me is how the 6WC had nothing to do with TAC. too many people seemed to do languages unrelated to their TAC teams:/

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5785 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 39 of 51
02 December 2012 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
But I'm too "good" at Japanese to do the 6wc with it, but not good enough to drop it as my main focus language. Otherwise I'd be 6wc Japanese at every opportunity!

Druckfehler, I hope we can have laid back TAC teams too. Although I do find it amazing how many dropouts there are when all you have to do is keep a log for a year. Admittedly that means you need something to write about, but still, it's not so hard!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6423 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 40 of 51
02 December 2012 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
I agree with g-bod (my teammate) that this has been a great TAC year, and I think our team, those of us who remain, have made a pretty good attempt at annihilating, or at least badly butchering :) Japanese. I don’t feel like I’ve improved much at all or even gotten anything done. On the other hand, I spent several hours yesterday lying on the couch with a Japanese crime novel, often reading several pages without touching the dictionary, so I must have made some progress. It’s too bad we don’t have before and after pictures ;)

I think the way it was organized this year was pretty good. Some popular languages like Japanese and Russian easily ended up with large teams and in those cases a same-language team works. Others enjoyed having mixed language teams. I liked having big teams because as Cristina said, a lot of people disappear. So with a big team, you have some hope of having some team members at the end. I’m already looking forward to continuing in 2013 and I hope that the four of us who are left on Team い would all like to go on to TAC 2013 and Team う. (Or maybe we should be more creative in our name this year?)

I wouldn’t mind doing some organizing, but I will be at my ex-husband’s house for Christmas/New Year (unless we drive each other crazy before then and I come home early), and that’s probably the most important time as far as organizing the TAC goes. If the neighbors still haven’t secured their Wi-Fi and the signal is strong enough, it would be fine, but I can’t guarantee that, unfortunately. I think last year, we had a bit of organizing in the beginning, but after a while people just asked the various teams if they could join them.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version