Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5138 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 33
09 February 2012 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Happy to have you on our team, and look forward to your input in our logs.

Cristina
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 10 of 33
09 February 2012 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
@Teango, thanks! - that's pretty much a requirement to apply for a job in Germany (which is some pressure of the good kind I guess). I think it could still be possible to do without it, but I think the bureaucrats will find enough to nitpick on anyway.

If I fail in June I can repeat it in September, so I take for granted I'll pass if I can maintain my discipline. Which reminds me I should be studying and not saying trivialities here and there ;)

@Cristina, sure, you know I just can't zip it ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 09 February 2012 at 1:05am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5030 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 11 of 33
21 February 2012 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Oh well... I need to take a break off HTLAL.

This thing has been absorbing too much of my free time lately, that I haven't even caught up with my team mates' logs yet -- I'm still not doing much study (though the plan was realistic in that regard) so I guess cutting on non-log HTLAL stuff will leave me more time for the real thing.

So, off I go -- I'll still be trying to catch up (and eventually giving some input) on everyone's logs, though. Which reminds I've noticed you won't get notified of updates to my main log post as I intended. Since that was planned to be boring you're probably not missing out on much anyway -- I just thought I'd post anew just to let you know I'm really updating it.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5138 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 12 of 33
28 February 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
It's not boring. I enjoyed it :-) And I know about needing to take a break from HTLAL - not sure I could pull it off though, unless I was stranded on an isolated island with no internet access.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5030 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 13 of 33
27 April 2012 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Bump.

I cought up with everyone'log (finally!) and updated my main post. Unfortunately, it's all 'human side' stories with no real learning progress ;)

Edited by mrwarper on 27 April 2012 at 3:01am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5138 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 14 of 33
27 April 2012 at 8:19am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Bump.

I cought up with everyone'log (finally!) and updated my main post. Unfortunately, it's all 'human side' stories with no real learning progress ;)

That is actually quite a feat. We look forward to seeing you more regularly! I always wonder whether I should not spend less time on the forum and more time on studying, but my experience (the few times I have managed to cut down on my forum time) is that I do not do any studies either.

Jump on the wagon with the 6WC and the Super challenge - the first one is proven in its effeciency, as long as you are actually driven to work more, and not just log what you would be doing anyway. The Super challenge is new, and noone can tell how useful it will be, but I have very high hopes myself! :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 27 April 2012 at 8:19am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5360 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 15 of 33
27 April 2012 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Good to see you posting updates again! I think many of us have been temporarily missing in action over the last couple of months, as spring tries to throw us in every other direction but language study. However now is as good a time as any to make a comeback. :) And that contract to translate the photography course sounds like a sweet number to get in some German practice too - good luck with this over the next month.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
Joined 5030 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 

Message 16 of 33
15 June 2012 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Bump.

Real progress(es) listed in my main post, but no hour recounts or anything.

Self-pity and loathing, ranting, blaming of others, a tantrum, crying and other useless stuff (venting needed anyway) here.

+German:
-My carrot-and-stick German project, aka 'get hired to translate a book so you actually get pressed and paid to study' is a 50% success. I'm actually doing German. The bad news is that I'm already getting complains because I'm behind schedule (overdue deadline) so the 'getting paid' bit will have some problems.
This method is troublesome because the terminology is too technical and the language is a bit unnatural, and I was generally not ready in the first place. Progress is spotty at best but I feel more comfortable with the reading. I'm to be done with this in a few days anyway.
-The morons at the language school published the exam dates the day before I signed up -- under the title 'June 2011'! Thus I was never notified, and I couldn't find the announcement until it was too late. I'd probably have flunked anyway so I'm not suing them or anything because I still can take the test in September. I'll have to contact one of my former teachers to grab a copy of that (or some other) exam just to realistically assess how far I am from the actual test level.

+English:
I'm officially C2 certified in English now but... [rant ON]
I waited to get this on a sale at Cambridge. I've been a certified English teacher for 4 years, and now they're thinking about making a C2 certification an *official* prerequisite to take the CELTA I have. C2? Been there, done that. A few times. But grade C? What bollocks!
According to my certificate details I got less than perfect grades in the spoken and listening parts, but that was to be expected, because I never practice. What really put me down was being assessed as 'weak' in writing when it's actually my strongest skill? From f---ing straight A (my own recalculation assuming a proper evaluation of my writing) to almost flunking? -- just because I wrote too much?!?!?! They gotta be kidding -- only they're not.

You think tests are generally full of shortcomings and unfairness? Take one and wait for the corrector!

Seriously, the Cambridge guys have lost a lot of the little respect I still had for them... [rant OFF]

The real down side of all this is that it clearly shows how little I have learnt from my high school and uni days about complying with others' requirements --no matter how stupid or wrong-- when it is them who are in power positions. It is like painting a bullseye on your forehead. Will I ever stop doing it?

Edited by mrwarper on 15 June 2012 at 1:46am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version