Diglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5260 days ago

122 posts - 139 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 68
07 February 2012 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
when i am watching English films, i can not tell the difference between "can" and "can't"? They sound the same to me.

It bothers me a lot!

Who can help me with the confusion?
1 person has voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4767 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 2 of 68
07 February 2012 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
Well you hardly ever are going to see "can" in a statement, and you are hardly ever going
to see "can't" in a question so you tell that way. I think because of that most people
don't take the time to emphasize the "t." I would hear "I cando that" as a negative
statement most of the time. Also, I think just continue trying. There is few easy ways to
learn listening comprehension outside of repeated exposure.

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5225 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 3 of 68
07 February 2012 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
It's definitely a matter of emphasis and syntactical context.

In statements like these:

"I can't go."

"I can go."

"Can't" will be emphasized in the first sentence, but "can" will just be glided over in the second sentence, unless specifically to to counter a previous belief that you couldn't go.

"Can" and "can't" will be used in questions in different ways.

Although, theoretically, the two sentences should be asking the same thing:

"Can you go?"

"Can't you go?"

In actual usage, the first sentence is a neutral question, whereas the second sentence would usually be following a prior statement implying that the person couldn't go.

If you happen to be familiar with music terminology, "can't" would typically be uttered as if it were a staccato note, whereas "can" would be glided over more as if it were a slur.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5409 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 4 of 68
07 February 2012 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
I am confused about the problem. I always thought that both forms have completely different vowels. "can" as in "trap", but "can't" as in "father". Do some people (americans) drop the "t" and shorten the vowel in "can't"?

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5225 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 5 of 68
07 February 2012 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
^ I have never heard of the two words having different vowel sounds. From all my time living in the US (i.e., from birth 'till now), I have always heard and used "can" and "can't" such that both rhyme with "trap". Certainly in other dialects of English the "a" may be pronounced differently, but I'd imagine it's still consistent between the two words.

As for "dropping the 't'", I'd say it's more like a glottal stop. If I say, "I can't go", and I pause at the "t", I invariably find myself not breathing. That's really the only way to voice the "t" without explicitly aspirating it, which sounds somewhat eccentric.

Edited by nway on 07 February 2012 at 10:47am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5375 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 6 of 68
07 February 2012 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
I think you are both right!

Cabaire is describing the sound of the two words in British English, where there is a
different vowel quality in the two words - can as in trap, pan, and can't as in father,
lather - i.e. a slight 'r' sound after the a. The 't' is, at least the way I say it,
never dropped.

American English is, I think, different, in particular Texan friends say the two words
with the same pronunciation and with a light touch of the 't' or a glottal stop.

The moral of the story - all films should be made in Britain as it makes the English
easier to understand :)    

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 68
07 February 2012 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, we were taught to pronounce it as in father, despite the risk of turning it into a swear word if the vowel is too short.
It was just mentioned that it's different in American English.

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6660 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 8 of 68
07 February 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Here's another instance where saying "pronounce it like this other word" doesn't work. Father and lather have different vowels in American English. We pronounce the 'a' in 'can' and 'can't' like the 'a' in 'lather'. :)

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version