United States
Joined 4487 days ago

53 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Tagalog*, English
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 29
10 February 2012 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
I was browsing through the forum and was very surprised to find out that there *really* are individuals who study Tagalog (technically it's called Filipino, but none of us in the Philippines really called it that). I mean, Tagalog isn't exactly a language that people study (a la French or Japanese), unless for very special reasons.

As a native speaker of the language, I haven't a clue what it's like for other speakers. Is it hard? Easy? Complicated? Logical? Convoluted? What does it sound like to others?

I'm very interested in this, and I'd really love to gain more insight into my native languages (from the eyes of those who study it, or at least those who have heard it). Thanks!
9 persons have voted this message useful

nway
United States
youtube.com/user/Vic
Joined 5225 days ago

574 posts - 1707 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean

Message 2 of 29
10 February 2012 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Well, given that some folks here are studying the likes of Sanskrit and Irish Gaelic, I'd say the national language of a relatively well-known country of 94 million people isn't really all that obscure.

A century from now, it might even be more popular than French or Japanese. :)

With respect to its difficulty, it's supposedly got a more complicated grammar than the other main Austronesian language that might be studied abroad—Indonesian—although the latter was intentionally designed to be simple.

Pronunciation-wise, it's fairly straightforward for anyone who speaks an Indo-European language (and probably for most others as well).

I'm not terribly familiar with this issue, but it also seems to make significant use of honorific language and levels of politeness as well, which is an unfamiliar concept for most Indo-European speakers, and Anglophones in particular.

Edited by nway on 10 February 2012 at 9:08pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

IronFist
United States
Joined 6247 days ago

663 posts - 941 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 3 of 29
10 February 2012 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
I remember hearing that it's pretty hard; significantly more difficult than Spanish (which I'm told it's slightly similar to?). I can't remember why it was hard, though.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ellsworth
United States
Joined 4767 days ago

345 posts - 528 votes 
Studies: German, Swedish, Finnish, Icelandic, Irish

Message 4 of 29
10 February 2012 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
It has similar vocabulary to Spanish but I don't think is anything like it grammatically.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 29
11 February 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
arashikat wrote:
I was browsing through the forum and was very surprised to find out that there *really* are individuals who study Tagalog (technically it's called Filipino, but none of us in the Philippines really called it that). I mean, Tagalog isn't exactly a language that people study (a la French or Japanese), unless for very special reasons.

As a native speaker of the language, I haven't a clue what it's like for other speakers. Is it hard? Easy? Complicated? Logical? Convoluted? What does it sound like to others?

I'm very interested in this, and I'd really love to gain more insight into my native languages (from the eyes of those who study it, or at least those who have heard it). Thanks!

I'd love to learn Tagalog (but it falls into my "too many languages, too little time" category for the time being). It strikes me as a relatively difficult language. It sounds normal to me, because I grew up around it (but I don't know even the most basic things) - it's hard to describe it further.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4582 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 6 of 29
11 February 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
The language blogger Yearlyglot wrote this post about Tagalog. Apparently he considers its grammar really easy. The thing that I find most puzzling about Tagalog is the Austronesian alignment - I can hardly wrap my head around even ergative (this page helped a little), let alone an alignment that has elements of both accusative and ergative. The fact that Yearlyglot makes no mention of this whatsoever suggests that either it isn't such a big deal, or that he never got that far in his studies of Tagalog grammar.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6512 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 7 of 29
11 February 2012 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
I only studied it for a couple of months, but the impression that I got was that it wasn't terribly hard, though there were some weird parts to it. It's an Asian language, and like most Asian languages it doesn't have a lot of the grammatical dross that European languages have. No gender, no cases, no adjective agreement, plurals not often used, and when they are it's just repeating the word twice, that sort of thing. It also had a fair amount of Spanish loan words, which is no surprise after 400 years of Spanish rule. IIRC they primarily count in Spanish numbers. Also, I don't remember any strange sounds that you'd have to learn.

The one weird part was the verbs. It's been a long time since I learned it, so I don't remember clearly, but one of the guys who was teaching me said that the verbs were the hardest part. They used infixes to show changes, and sometimes were kind of irregular.

Over all, I remember it being not that hard. It was mostly about learning words and learning the verbs; the grammar was pretty cut and dried. It's an exotic, though, so there were a lot of non-cognates, though a lot of Spanish and English loan words.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6392 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 8 of 29
11 February 2012 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
What little I've heard is that Tagalog is difficult to learn because of the massive amounts of code switching of the native speakers. Someone said that just about nobody in the cities speaks "pure" Tagalog, but rather a mixture of Tagalog and English called "Taglish". This would be different from most languages that incorporate loan words (a very common thing) in that in Taglish you get entire phrases and sentences in English. I'd love to see someone expound on that.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version