Sweden
olle-kjellin.com
Joined 5014 days ago

40 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Japanese, English, German, Russian
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Greek

Message 25 of 29
25 September 2012 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
I took a summer course in Tagalog in Tokyo, 1974, by Japanese and Pilipino teachers. It was tremendously interesting -- but I found it to be the most difficult language I had ever tried. Contrary to the blogger referred to, I do think the verbs are really difficult, with all their confusing affixes and reduplications combined with surprising word-order variations. :) This is corroborated by Duke100782's impressive, but still partial, list of eat-words. On the other hand, I agree with Arlene Joyce. A language beginner should not go the analytic way, but build a robust foundation with a good set of holistically learnt phrases. And only then delve into the intricacies, if ever one should want it.
I felt that extremely straight into my marrow a couple of years ago when I had memorized a short story in Tuscarora (without even knowing the meaning or even where words began and ended). "That wasn't so hard", I thought. But when I looked into a textbook, I got really abhorred, and thought that, if I had begun with the textbook, I wouldn't have begun at all! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

hibiki_kenshin
Diglot
Philippines
Joined 4495 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Tagalog*, English

Message 26 of 29
09 October 2012 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
Tagalog is easy. You just have to surround yourself with tagalog speaking friends. We have an American consultant here at our office and he learned the basic communication skills after 6 months. I think it helps also if you are really interested on learning it. :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4575 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 29
09 October 2012 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
Pronunciation for an English speaker, easy with a little practice.
Basic communication skills, not so difficult.
Mastery at a C1/C2 level, very, very hard.
I'm listening to a Filipino soap opera in the background as I write this, and sadly
enough, 30 years after I first started trying to learn Tagalog, I still tend to treat the
verbs with all of their variations and affixes as separate words instead of generating
them from the roots and affixes the way a native speaker does.
I have a Tagalog speaking friend I've been married to for 22 years.
Tagalog is a awesome language, and it is well worth the effort to learn it as well as you
can... But mastery at a high level is hard, I think.

steve

pansitkanton
Diglot
Philippines
Joined 4410 days ago

6 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog*
Studies: Korean

Message 28 of 29
24 November 2012 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
hibiki_kenshin wrote:
Tagalog is easy. You just have to surround yourself with
tagalog speaking friends. We have an American consultant here at our office and he
learned the basic communication skills after 6 months. I think it helps also if you are
really interested on learning it. :-)

^ Easier said than done, mate. You, for one, is a native speaker of Tagalog. You are
supposedly to live or had lived in a predominantly Tagalog-speaking community. It is a
very far cry situation for foreigners or non-native users of the language.

Using language taxonomy as a basis in learning success, we can see that native speakers
of Germanic languages (English, Dutch, German, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian) may find it
a great obstacle to realize a great deal of inflection in the system because their
languages are not that agglutinative as Philippine languages. Mind that
agglutination in Tagalog does not only denote verb aspect, but also the voice or focus
(to or from which is the action being done). Pronunciation might also be difficult in
casual speech due to syllabic reduplication (although maybe for quite few instances)
seemingly like a tongue twister. Even I find some inflected words somehow challenging
to enunciate.

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4298 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 29 of 29
02 February 2013 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
I think this a common misconceptions that one can pick up a language as one goes along immersed in a
community of native speakers. I used to believe it myself, and I will admit before I'd sometimes wonder why
expats who have been living X number of years in the Philippines still can hardly go beyond a jumble of
Tagalog phrases. However, having now moved to China, I find myself in a situation where I've been here
for 9 months and I can barely go beyond the most basic speech.

Here in China, I come across expats who have been here much longer than me, sometimes many years,
but can still hardly go beyond uttering a few basic phrases in Mandarin or the local dialect.

The situation for a foreigner learning Tagalog in the Philippines must be particularly difficult and it will take a
concerted effort on the part of the foreigner to learn, since one can really get by in the Philippines without
knowing a single word of Tagalog because most Filipinos can more or less speak English.

But then, if you look on the flip side of it, precisely because only someone who has taken a sustained
conscious effort and invested considerale amounts of time will learn Tagalog, a foreigner who does take the
time to acquire proficiency in Tagalog will surely win the respect of native-speaking Filipino. One would
surely win mine.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version