35 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
translator2
United States
Joined 6730 days ago

848 posts - 1862 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 35
02 March 2012 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Just took a look at how many books and movies I purchased from Amazon over the last two years and it is scary. I recently donated 15 boxes full of language books to Goodwill/Salvation Army last month. For what it's worth, here are some of my best purchases over the past two years (I don't have the heart to look back any further):

Aliens and Linguistics
Linguistics Anthropology
One Thousand Languages: Living, Endangered and Lost
Babel-17
Chinese Language: Fast or Fantasy
Lost Languages: The Enigma of the World's Undeciphered Scripts
Dictionary of Invented Languages: From Elvish to Klingon
Cultural References in Modern French
Is that a Fish in Your Ear: Translation and the Meaning of Everything
New Book: Languages of the World - An Introduction (pre-order - see I can't stop...)
Last Lingua Franca: English Until the Return of Babel
Stuff Parisians Like
What Lingua es Esta? (Portuguese edition)
El Genio del Idioma (The Language Genius)
Passionate Defense of the Spanish Language
By Roman Hands: Latin Inscriptions and Graffiti for Students of Latin
Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris
Introduction to Sicilian Grammar
Say What? The Weird and Mysterious Journey of the English Language
Native Grammar: How Languages Work
Learning Japanese for Real
Real Japanese: Learn to Speak Japanese the Way Japanese Kids Do
Speak Chinese with Millions
Survival Russian
Learning Chinese the Easy Way
Written Chinese
Mastering Japanese Kanji
Enciclopedia del espanol en los Estados Unidos
Guide to Argentine Spanish Slang
Speed Up Your Spanish: Strategies to Avoid Common Errors

and the best book ever:

Don't Sleep There are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle

Edited by translator2 on 02 March 2012 at 7:04pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

jimbo
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 6105 days ago

469 posts - 642 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Japanese, Latin

Message 2 of 35
02 March 2012 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
translator2 wrote:
I recently donated 15 boxes full of language books to Goodwill/Salvation Army last month.

Perhaps we should all be donating our excess language learning materials to Polyglot U if it ever gets going.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5480 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 3 of 35
02 March 2012 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Nice list! I can totally relate, my collection is ever growing too, but I could never give my books away. My books are my treasures. I dream of having a big library in my future house one day (current bookshelves are totally overloaded).
I even buy books and dictionaries for languages I don't even intend to study! I bought a Spanish-Maya dictionary in Mexico once, because I just couldn't resist it.
6 persons have voted this message useful

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5629 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 4 of 35
02 March 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Yeah I think we need to open a support group for people like us who have more language
books than there are hours in any human lifetime.
4 persons have voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4827 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 5 of 35
02 March 2012 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
crafedog wrote:
Yeah I think we need to open a support group for people like us who have more language

Yeah... Maybe we could set up a 1800 number one could call and say: Hello, my name is... and I am a lingua-holic! Then the person on the other end would try to get us to calm down and talk us out of buying any more of these books.
LOL :p
2 persons have voted this message useful

Christine
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6437 days ago

41 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Modern Hebrew

Message 6 of 35
02 March 2012 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
I don't have that many books on languages in general (the German version of David Crystal's Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language - it was easier to get hold of and cheaper than the original - and 4-5 others I'm not going to list as all of them are German ones that nobody here knows), but I own dozens of books on first names, both German and English ones. I bought most of them about ten years ago when I started writing a sci-fi novel set in the USA in a not-too-distant future and needed names for the characters (my other project is a fantasy novel for which I can just invent names or derive them from the languages I rudimentarily make up for the respective cultures ... yes, I'm also into creating conlangs, but that really doesn't belong here). But apart from that, I'm generally interested in names. I even wanted to set up a web page on names, I already had rented a server some time in 2002, but I never uploaded anything because I lacked the necessary knowledge on database programming. I guess being into names is even more nerdy than being a language enthusiast - at least the knowledge of languages is practically useful, while a love for names clearly isn't. ;)
The main reason why I don't buy many more books on languages is simply a lack of money and especially of space. I'm still a student and I live in a one-room apartment of about 22 square metres, which is seriously crammed - I have to sort my books by size rather than genre. But once I'm out of here, I'll definitely set up shelves for my books (and CDs - I'm also a music enthusiast) that are much nicer to look at.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7032 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 7 of 35
03 March 2012 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
crafedog wrote:

One thing I recommend is learn to speed read. This is one skill I feel will benefit anybody, as it is transferable to languages of a similar alphabet anyway. It should have some advantages with other another alphabet also, just finding out how it is done might be tricky.

One double edge sword possibility, if the books are ever finished, then new language books might be purchased for the insatiable interest of reading some more. This is a possibility of being a speed reader. :P

Elizabeth_rb
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
polyglotintraining.b
Joined 4447 days ago

54 posts - 84 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: GermanB1

Message 8 of 35
16 March 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
I'm reading 'The Chinese Language, Fact or Fantasy' by DeFrancis at the moment. It's
very interesting and has got me wanting more Chinese linguistics books...

Edited by Elizabeth_rb on 17 March 2012 at 10:38pm

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version