Joined 4526 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 41 of 70
11 April 2012 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
бём is pronounced [b'om].

What do you mean, Mark? What is [b'om] for you? Like in the word "bomber"?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 42 of 70
11 April 2012 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Nope, just a soft b. ' doesn't mark the stress here.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 43 of 70
11 April 2012 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Марк wrote:
бём is pronounced [b'om].

What do you mean, Mark? What is [b'om] for you? Like in the word "bomber"?

I have written that I indicate softness with apostrophy, and that's a common way to do
it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4526 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 44 of 70
12 April 2012 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
I've just noticed that I heard almost no difference between бъём and бём. I asked my wife to say those words repeatedly and to my ears they're pretty much the same. Just like with "Ш" and "Щ", to my ears they're also the same.

I think it's the same with Portuguese (Serpent might help me on this one). My (Russian) wife still can't notice very well the difference between the words "avô" and "avó", the same to her Russian girlfriends living here in Brazil. Although it seems extremely clear to me, to them they sound just the same.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 45 of 70
12 April 2012 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
I've just noticed that I heard almost no difference between
бъём and бём. I asked my wife to say those words repeatedly and to my ears they're
pretty much the same. Just like with "Ш" and "Щ", to my ears they're also the same.

I think it's the same with Portuguese (Serpent might help me on this one). My (Russian)
wife still can't notice very well the difference between the words "avô" and "avó", the
same to her Russian girlfriends living here in Brazil. Although it seems extremely
clear to me, to them they sound just the same.

But you have never tried to understand what the difference is. You speak about "little
pauses" and other nonsense stuff. I wonder how you pronounce both like бём or like
бьём.
It seems you pronounce soft consonants as a consonant + y. Do you hear the difference
between не and нье, or шья and ща? Ш and Щ differ in the same way as л and ль. Ш is
close to a devoiced English R or the Portugese sound probably, while щ is somethng like   
English sh in she. The middle of the tongue is raised to the roof of the mouth.
Why didn't youtube help you with that? Maybe some explanations are needed?
2 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4526 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 

Message 46 of 70
12 April 2012 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

But you have never tried to understand what the difference is. You speak about "little
pauses" and other nonsense stuff. I wonder how you pronounce both like бём or like
бьём.
It seems you pronounce soft consonants as a consonant + y. Do you hear the difference
between не and нье, or шья and ща? Ш and Щ differ in the same way as л and ль. Ш is
close to a devoiced English R or the Portugese sound probably, while щ is somethng like   

The problem is not only pronunciation, but understanding the difference. You're a native, so that might make no sense to you, but if I hear ANY Russian saying a word with Ш or Щ I most likely won't notice the difference. I've read all the explanations about how the tongue must be placed, that щ is softer and all that, but when listening to Russian, my brain doesn't understand the difference between Ш and Щ. The same way as my wife and her Russian girlfriends can't notice the (for me, a native) extremely clear difference between "avô" and "avó".

I can tell the difference between л and ль, but not between Ш and Щ. Maybe because they're closer, or maybe because Portuguese doesn't have this sound and my brain just associates it to the closer sound it finds. (In fact, I've just asked my wife and she told me that I "always" say the Ш/Щ sound in a way closer to a Щ).

Probably more years of practice will help me, I hope so.

Edited by fabriciocarraro on 12 April 2012 at 1:37am

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 47 of 70
12 April 2012 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
Марк wrote:

бьём.

The problem is not only pronunciation, but understanding the difference. You're a
native, so that might make no sense to you, but if I hear ANY Russian saying a word
with Ш or Щ I most likely won't notice the difference. I've read all the explanations
about how the tongue must be placed, that щ is softer and all that, but when listening
to Russian, my brain doesn't understand the difference between Ш and Щ. The same way as
my wife and her Russian girlfriends can't notice the (for me, a native) extremely clear
difference between "avô" and "avó".

I can tell the difference between л and ль, but not between Ш and Щ. Maybe because
they're closer, or maybe because Portuguese doesn't have this sound and my brain just
associates it to the closer sound it finds. (In fact, I've just asked my wife and she
told me that I "always" say the Ш/Щ sound in a way closer to a Щ).

Probably more years of practice will help me, I hope so.

You should start with the correct pronunciation. Pronounce the correct sound all the
time and you will start hearing the difference. It's a good starting point, I think, to
pronounce Ш as a devoiced English R.In order to start hearing the difference ask your
wife to pronounce Portugese words with Ш.
I'll try to attach my audio, you can place your recording too (give a link to it).

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 

Message 48 of 70
12 April 2012 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
In order to clarify:
тъя - hard t + y + a
тья - soft t + y + a
тя - soft t + a
та - hard t + a
The difference between the hard and the soft sign in this situation is not observed after
the labials: b, p, v, f, m. They can be pronounced hard or soft before "y" without any
significant changing.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version