70 messages over 9 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 9
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 65 of 70
20 April 2012 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
We're criticizing textbooks, not learners.
I'd say we're actually fairly easy to impress :P Unless you're a teacher lolol.
1 person has voted this message useful

yuriFromRoma
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4524 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 66 of 70
24 April 2012 at 1:01am | IP Logged 
Speaking of pronunciation, I'd like to share a useful, free resource that I discovered few days ago: "The Russian Sound System: Pronunciation Guide", which , as the title suggests, breaks down various aspects of the proper Russian pronunciation. I'm confident that truly internalizing it will help me a lot. Or at least, that's my hope. :)

Edited by yuriFromRoma on 24 April 2012 at 1:15am

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4867 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 67 of 70
24 April 2012 at 9:24am | IP Logged 
yuriFromRoma wrote:
Speaking of pronunciation, I'd like to share a useful, free
resource that I discovered few days ago:
"The Russian Sound
System: Pronunciation Guide"
, which , as the title suggests, breaks down various
aspects of the proper Russian pronunciation. I'm confident that truly internalizing it
will help me a lot. Or at least, that's my hope. :)

There is practically no explanation of how Russian sounds are pronounced.

yuriFromRoma
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4524 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, Russian

Message 68 of 70
24 April 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
In my opinion soundsystem.html">section II provides some good, simple explanation of the ones very different
from English, as well as plenty of pronunciation rules and audio examples. The latter is the thing I like
most of the guide: there are many audio examples on a specific aspect of the pronunciation that is
rather easy to isolate things poorly understood. Anyway, if someone can provide something better, he/
she is welcome.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 69 of 70
24 April 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
This site is good too http://www.study-languages-online.com/russian-articulation.h tml
4 persons have voted this message useful

Wulfgar
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

404 posts - 791 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 70 of 70
07 May 2012 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
But the spelling and the pronunciation are explained in a wrong and nonsense way. And the
transcription is stupid and misleading.
And it is not very deep.

Totally agree. I was shocked to see a text that makes it sound like I'm being anal to want to have correct pronunciation, among other
things.

Марк wrote:
In the modern Russian Щ is pronounced as soft Ш. The Assimil is wrong.

I'm glad to get confirmation. I gave up on trying to pronounce these as "different consonants". I treat them as hard and soft versions of
the same consonant, and I feel my pronunciation is pretty close to what I hear, and nobody has ever had a problem understanding this
aspect of my speech. I think the whole "sh ch combo" and related explanations are confusing and misleading. I don't understand why
they try to explain it like that.

Gabriel Anton wrote:
Seeing so many responses I became excited, only to find pages of native speakers berating students for
not having perfect pronunciation. I'd like to be suprised but this sort of attitude is something I've
encountered before - great language, but I wonder if the people are worth the effort.

Think I'll give German another look.

What a terrible thing to say. Native speakers come here to really analyze and discuss Russian pronunciation, and you complain about it.
There are many places you can go to get compliments of your skills. Please don't criticize one of the few honest sites left.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version