4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 27
30 April 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Michael K. wrote:

Super Challenge Update, Registration and Rules Thread

It's in the log subforum in case my link doesn't work.

Ah. I missed it because I thought the thread was strictly about 100 movies and books. "Essay" doesn't actually come up in the thread until page 6, and there's still no mention of what length the essay should be.

Is it possible to just sign on for the essay portion of the challenge? No worries, if not. I can always just do it for my own sake.

R.
==

No, but you can always start your own challenge :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 10 of 27
30 April 2012 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

No, but you can always start your own challenge :-)

Oh well, no worries. I wouldn't want to step on or duplicate part of an existing challenge, so I'll just do it for my own sake.

I had already thought to challenge myself with some writing, but it wasn't going to be short essays, which seems much more manageable. It was going to be something more along the lines of a research-type paper/thesis.

R.
==

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6265 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 11 of 27
30 April 2012 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Cristin, it's for language-learning - that's as good as saying it's for a good cause. ;-)

Can you imagine how much better your writing skills must be after writing and getting corrections for 100
essays?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 27
30 April 2012 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
Cristin, it's for language-learning - that's as good as saying it's for a good cause. ;-)

Can you imagine how much better your writing skills must be after writing and getting corrections for 100
essays?

No, but I can imagine how few friends I would have left :-=
6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 27
30 April 2012 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
LOL!
I'd definitely do the 100 essays challenge if someone started one... Since it's not possible to add them to a half-challenge and I'm mostly interested in signing up with Portuguese and also Indonesian. Maybe in Italian too but not with 100 pieces... more like 30.

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5524 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 14 of 27
30 April 2012 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if anyone knows about langhopeful on YouTube. He's trying to do 100 videos in Spanish. I hven't followed him in a while, so I don't know if he succeeded or not.

Loperamida
Bilingual Diglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4377 days ago

24 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English, French

Message 15 of 27
11 May 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
And who corrects 100 essays? I would love to do this challenge in English and French. Maybe we can start a
challenge together. I can correct Spanish or catalan essays and other person correct my french or English
essays.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 16 of 27
11 May 2012 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Loperamida wrote:
And who corrects 100 essays? I would love to do this challenge in English and French. Maybe we can start a
challenge together. I can correct Spanish or catalan essays and other person correct my french or English
essays.

I had suggested another separate writing challenge (still 100 writings) last week, because I thought combining that much writing with so many movies and books would prove to be too much and we wouldn't have many crossing the finish line (I know that would be the case for me). Truthfully, I'm still unsure about it. There seems to be some interest in it, but everyone has different ideas on what they'd like the challenge to actually be, and whether it should be done here or on Lang-8. I was in favor of having it here, but really, it could be done on Lang-8. The problem then becomes: how do we notify people here to correct our writing on Lang-8? And if it's on Lang-8, how do we keep track of everyone's progress?

I wanted to start it June 1, and end the end of November. I think that 100 written pieces in 6 months should definitely be doable.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 11 May 2012 at 12:52am

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version